Any SF owners having GPS/Navigation ProblemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. tystevens

tystevens Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know that many of us were concerned about GPS issues before buying the Fascinate. Now that I have mine in hand, I believe the issues were greatly overblown. Mine does not lock on immediately inside a building if I turn on the GPS, but once I get outside and start moving, it has been spot on (3 meters, I think?). Bing maps found me on the street just fine last night, and Google Nav got me from home to the office w/o a hiccup. Obviously, quickly reviewing a phone or playing with it in a Verizon store is a little different than carrying it around.

Are any actual owners having problems in real-world situations with their GPS after buying and setting up the phone? (Maybe this warrants a poll?)

Advertisement
  2. 802kk681

802kk681 Member

Hey, I just got my Fascinate yesterday. With either the VZW GPS setting or the Google GPS setting, my "location" was like a MILE off. I was flabbergasted. Saw some posts here and tried turning both of those off and selecting the stand-alone GPS and it took a while but got a good fix. Are there any problems with using the stand alone GPS setting the whole time?

3. tystevens

tystevens Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't know, maybe someone else will chime in. On my phone, I've had all 3 boxes checked pretty much the whole time, and it has worked quite well. Sitting in my office or house, it might be a 70 meter range or so, but once outside, it locks on w/in 1 minute, usually quicker, and hasn't lost me on a route yet. I had it locked in w/in 2 feet the other evening, and it very accurately tracked me as I walked to the corners of my yard.

The only time I notice any difficulty locking seems to be when I start Google Nav with the GPS off. In those cases, it seems to be stuck on a "finding route" screen much longer, as much as 3 minutes. But if I close the Nav and restart w/ the GPS on, it locks in very quickly.

4. Kierik

Kierik Well-Known Member

I found that mine was not very accurate (to 1100 meters) but once i used it on the road it was dead on. Calling the turns as they were needed with the same accuracy i was used to on my nexus one. I will add to this that it did take it a minute to start the turn by turn navigation (Google nav). I also had verison location services off.

5. Atst44

Atst44 Member

My GPS has been fine. It gave me an issue today and forced me to do a hard reset, but over the past 2 days of using it on and off non-stop just to make sure it's the phone I want to keep, I can honestly say, There is no GPS issue, really.
    With "all of the boxes checked" it works enough to follow me along my jogging route (Off by up to 5 meters in random places between roads).
    I'd be surprised if anyone has issues with all of the boxes checked...

(BTW, even the Droid X will screw you up without all of those boxes checked. When I went to the 8/28 rally, I went 1 mile out of my way walking because of it. SO CLICK THOSE BOXES!)

6. d1c1ple

d1c1ple Well-Known Member

anyone know how to change the voice settings for Google Nav? Can't find??

7. JParker

JParker New Member

I am also having trouble with my GPS and the Google Nav application. It usually has me pretty far off. What do you guys mean when you say check all the boxes? This is my first droid phone so im new to all this. Thanks!

8. tmar89

tmar89 Active Member

Mine seemed to work fine after taking like 3 minutes to finally catch a GPS signal. Does it usually take that long to find the signal? And I was outside too.

9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

I've actually been using mine a bit over the last 2 days. If Im outside or even in my car its good and fine. In the bottom story of my 2 story house however the accuracy seems compromised. It shows me like a block away. Some might gripe about that but again if I need the GPS for driving navigation its fine. Accurate to within a few feet