any Singapore Starhub users here?

Last Updated:

1. seankaiser11

seankaiser11 Active Member This Topic's Starter

hi there!

i have been using the HTC Desire for a few months now. Loving the phone. However, just like to find out if there are any Singapore Starhub users here? Do you face bad 3G reception?

Sometimes I don't seem to be able to load the websites on the browser. Not sure if anyone out there has the same problem?

Cheers.

Advertisement
  2. LightOrion

LightOrion Well-Known Member

yea i'm a starhub user too
    and yes i face the same problems too..haha..

sometimes i cant even download apps or even open the market with 3g connected..T.T

so i guess it is starhub's fault...o.o

3. seankaiser11

Hey thanks for the reply! i was beginning to wonder if it was the phone! that sucks isnt it!?

it seems like there are a lot of blind spots even in the city area!

4. LightOrion

LightOrion Well-Known Member

haha yea..

I think starhub is becoming from good to bad nowadays..
    with the waiting time for the phone service and the network..

they r gonna lose alot of customers..haha

5. seankaiser11

terrible ! its a great phone and i really like the phone. pity the bloody 3G reception!

6. Yellowbram

Yellowbram Member

One more here for the Desire user on Starhub.. yup 3G sucks.

7. seankaiser11

oh well. nothing we can do can we? is there an official starhub email address we can all email them and complain?!

8. ghed

ghed Active Member

Same problem here, I'm not using Desire but I also get frequent network disconnection on Starhub 3G.

9. seankaiser11

hey ghed,

can i know which phone you are using?

10. donnielee

donnielee Member

This seems to be a Starhub Android 2.1 & 2.2 problem. I am using a Motorola Milestone XT720 which is on Android 2.1. I noticed that the connection is very slow on my phone when I got it and that some website which download ok on WIFI just cannot be loaded on 3G or HSPA.

After running between Starhub and Motorola service centers, I found out the following:-

1) Our Starhub SIM works smoothly and very snappy on iPhones and Android 1.5 Motorola phone. I am talking about same location. That's why I believe the problem cannot be location base.

2) Both M1 & Singtel SIM cards works perfectly and very snappy on my Milestone XT720.

3) I just tried my Starhub SIM on my friend's HTC Desire Z. Same problem. Slow like hell.

After bugging them (both Starhub & Motorola) for a while, they gave me a solution. Not perfect but it vastly improves my connection. Here are the steps, give it a try and please share with me your experience.

1) Click on menu button->settings->Wireless & network->Mobile network-> Access Point Names
    2) You would probably see "Gee 3G/GPRS".
    3) Click on it and clear out the "Proxy" & "Port". Yes. Just delete the contents of these fields.
    4) Power off your phone
    5) Remove the battery and SIM card and wait for 2 minutes before putting them back and restart your phone. This step seems crucial as I have tried step 1 to 4 without it and it does not work as well.

PRAVEEN C S likes this.
  11. seankaiser11

OMG! You are brilliant! I just did what you instructed and it works so well now! Its so quick. But down side is we can no longer use the Gee! website service. But do I really care!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Thanks so much! will have to tell my friends about this too. They also face the same problem.

Cheers.

12. donnielee

donnielee Member

You are most welcomed. I had thought this is a Android 2.1 issue until yesterday. Glad it helped. Gee is quite useless anyway. Come to think of it, it might have been Starhub's configuration on their proxy servers to support Gee that had the connection screwed for us.

Sadly, Starhub continues to deny any problem and not fix anything although I brought this up to them many months ago. There must be tons of Starhub customers holding Android phones today that continue to suffer from bad connection.

Technically speaking, the proxy should have allowed us to access the web even faster and not the other way around.

It is appalling that Starhub continues to tell customers that the problem is "localized" and "depends on where you are" when the bad connection is so blatant.

13. seankaiser11

well i m not very technically inclined. i think maybe their settings are not updated for newer smartphones. why not they develop an app on iphone and android if they want their customers to use Gee service?

actually i emailed them a few days ago. this is what they want to know!

Date of incident:
    Time of incident:
    Location of incident:
    Phone Model:
    Software Version: (Only required for gaming problems and
    BlackBerry)
    Network Logon: 3G / 2G
    Description of issue:
    Occurrence of issue: Intermittent / Continuous

i already told them my problem and the phone i am using. cant be bothered with them now. since my problem is kinda solved.

:)

14. justcha

justcha New Member

There are 2 diff access points names for Starhub's Configuration.

* Gee! - 3G (with port & proxy)
    * StarHub Internet - 3.5G (without port & proxy)

FYI. This was what my friend told me.

15. steady009

steady009 New Member

In this case, does it mean we should choose Starhub Internet instead of the Gee! settings?

16. driftbaker

driftbaker New Member

hi guys, i am also using a starhub android 2.1 phone, also suffering from the slow connection problem. i tried the method of deleting the proxy and port settings, but end up i totally cannot go online.

I thought its the end already, but i tried a few more times, and finally, it worked!!!

the method is brilliant! thanks for recommending! i shall share with all my friends!

17. pessimizt

pessimizt New Member

Hello all, i am a Starhub user with HTC Desire too.
    Nice to meet you all !