• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any suggestions for Music/media management?

Now that I finally have my Verizon S3 after such a long time on the DX, I'm finding that I am having a horrible time syncing my playlists and podcasts from my PC to the phone.

My preferred choice was always media monkey, but it looks like it's MM just can't handle the MTP protocol. It only transfers a few of the files.

I tried Winamp, which will do my playlists over Wifi Sync just fine, but not the podcasts. Then when I hook up via USB, it locks up during transfers, which I'm assuming is happening as well because its MTP

Doubletwist is a joke on the Music Management side, as I was trying to import my library, so I didn't even bother trying the sync.

I tried Samsung Kies, but the functions are so basic, its hard for me to settle.

Using MM for over 5 years, I'm used to smart playlists and being able to make very specific rulkes for what does and does not sync to my phone.

Is there anything out there that's comparable to MEdia Monkey that actually works with the S3?

Now that I finally have my Verizon S3 after such a long time on the DX, I'm finding that I am having a horrible time syncing my playlists and podcasts from my PC to the phone.

My preferred choice was always media monkey, but it looks like it's MM just can't handle the MTP protocol. It only transfers a few of the files.

I tried Winamp, which will do my playlists over Wifi Sync just fine, but not the podcasts. Then when I hook up via USB, it locks up during transfers, which I'm assuming is happening as well because its MTP

Doubletwist is a joke on the Music Management side, as I was trying to import my library, so I didn't even bother trying the sync.

I tried Samsung Kies, but the functions are so basic, its hard for me to settle.

Using MM for over 5 years, I'm used to smart playlists and being able to make very specific rulkes for what does and does not sync to my phone.

Is there anything out there that's comparable to MEdia Monkey that actually works with the S3?

Hello, I'm also using Winamp, but the playlists aren't working for me. When I create a new playlist on Winamp, it does not appear on my Samsung galaxy S3. How did you get it to work?

Upvote 0
I'm disappointed that this thread died. I also use Media Monkey (definitely one of the best PC music managers out there!) and have enough music that I need to selectively choose playlists to sync. The music transfers fine but the playlists don't transfer correctly like the OP states. I've been patiently waiting for some kind of fix but haven't seen anything. I'd hate to leave an awesome application because of playlists. Does anyone know what format the S3 requires in order to properly recognize the playlist? At the very least I could sync the music by playlist and then have MM export the playlist and then massage it in Notepad++ to work correctly. If someone can post the first few lines of working playlists, that would be cool.

Upvote 0
I struggled with this, but it's actually pretty easy to sync music and playlists, in my case Galaxy S3 Android 4.1 jelly bean.

1. Root (if not rooted, you probably just have to take the extSD card out of the phone and mount it in the computer, then sync MM to that).
2. Get SGS3 Easy UMS from xda.
3. Before using Easy UMS each time, reboot phone. Open MM on computer.
4. Unmount extSD using SGS Easy UMS (I have v1.7). Connect phone by USB.
5. You will see new device, Samsung Galaxy S2, appear in the MM file tree on the left. Select it.
6. The MM main window now has 3 tabs for the device, and shows space use on card.
7. The most important thing for the desired result is: go to the 3rd tab, Options, and under Options>Destination, make sure music will go to \Music\<Playlist>\Title, and under Options>Playlists, that playlists go to \Playlists\. MM will create the necessary directories, so you can delete everything that was already there if there was a problem.
8. On 2nd tab, Autosync List, unselect Music, then go to Playlist tree and select the playlists you want, either smart or dumb playlists work.
9. Push Apply changes to phone.
10. Push the Sync little round arrow symbol on device on the left MM file tree, and voila everything syncs, the playlists are in their own folders.

So on the phone, these are folder-based playlists. It's fine for me, I don't have an organization where the same song appears in multiple playlists. The only other thing we might want is to have a long list of songs in Music, and the Playlist organization of the songs is defined by the playlist rather than folder where they live. Maybe somebody else can take this further, if you know how to do that? But anyhow, this way works fine for me.

Upvote 0
I've gotten Media Monkey to work...sort of.

If you have playlists created that you want to copy over, click on the playlist in MM and select all of the songs (ctrl-A) and then drag them into your phone (it should show up in devices if attached via USB). That gets all of the music onto your phone and puts it in the Music folder.

Then click and drag the actual playlist onto your phone. This will create a .pla file in the Playlists folder.

You can then set up to sync, but it doesn't appear to be a true sync. The main thing to remember is that you have to put the songs on your phone and then sync. It doesn't look like the syncing adds songs to your phone, it just updates the .pla file (which is basically just a list of songs) from what I can tell. But this way you can have the same song in multiple playlists.

I have noticed a couple issues though. I had a 213 song playlist and on my phone it only said there were 208 songs. I might just have some bad tracks or something though. You can also export an m3u file and then copy it over in explorer, but when I tried this it only had 188 songs.

Also if you change any of the song file names or song tags, you might get duplicates. In some players I noticed duplicate tracks and albums, but the files were okay as long as I didn't change the file name.

Another problem is I can't get Poweramp to recognize the .pla playlists. I'm a Player Pro user myself, but I know that Poweramp is pretty popular. Just thought I'd point that out.

Upvote 0
I believe I may have stumbled upon the fix for syncing Media Monkey playlists to the S3 (as well as speed!). I was looking at memory resident programs that were not ones I used and one of those was the built in Samsung "Music Player". Being rooted, I went into Titanium Backup and froze that app. My syncs now from Media Money to the S3 are lightning fast compared to how it ran before and PowerAMP now sees the playlists and utilizes them. I believe there was something with the Samsung Music Player that was intercepting these playlists and destroying them. Fingers are crossed but I did several syncs after adding tracks to the playlists and the subsequent syncs not only quickly sync'd the new tracks but the playlists on the S3 updated with the new tracks as well. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones