• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any Tips on Using the Keyboard

Hey all,

I just had a quick question - does anyone with larger hands/fingers have trouble typing on the screen? Specifically I hit a lot of wrong letters or get terrible word completions/corrections.

I came from a Blackberry where it was infinitely easier to type, but I moved over to the Droid for "real" internet. Would like to master this thing so I don't have to go back.

Any suggestions or tips?

I suffer from Fat Finger Syndrome myself, and imho find the stock HTC Keyboard very useful once you get used to it. Most of the issue is adjusting to touchscreen input.

Once you find using the lightest touch is all you need to get a response, it gets a lot easier. Most people who have problems typing on a touchscreen are those who tap hard on the screen as if the screen needs some kind of pressure impact (for some reason it actually annoys me when I see people banging so hard on their device I can hear the impact).

As well, use the pad of your finder and not the tip of your finger to type (this will also help getting the light touch), as the pad of your finger will touch a smaller area of the screen than the tip will. Get used to this and not only will your typing improve, but you will also find yourself picking out the tiniest of URL's/Links in your web-browser without having to zoom in as much. Using the pad of your finger may feel awkward at first, but you'll get used to it.

Sure there are alternatives like Swype (which I use religiously now, however there are occasions where I prefer touch input), but IMHO I feel it better to get your touchscreen skills down before relying on it.

Upvote 0
I've had it for about 2 weeks now - I've tried SWYPE but for some reason I couldn't really get the hang of it.

The two biggest annoyances for me when it comes to typing are 1. that the phone is so small (which is a plus in every other aspect) and 2. That in sunlight, I find it much harder to type then on my BB.

For now I've disabled the predictive input, and that seems to be helping a bit. I'd rather send a mis-spelled word than a completely unintended one. I guess I'll give it some more time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones