Any Tips on Using the KeyboardSupport

Last Updated:

1. staticcornflake

staticcornflake Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I just had a quick question - does anyone with larger hands/fingers have trouble typing on the screen? Specifically I hit a lot of wrong letters or get terrible word completions/corrections.

I came from a Blackberry where it was infinitely easier to type, but I moved over to the Droid for "real" internet. Would like to master this thing so I don't have to go back.

Any suggestions or tips?

Advertisement
  2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

Did you try Swype? I don't have my phone yet but I've read quite a bit about it and it sounds like something that might help you.

3. justinandroid

justinandroid Member

One word - Swype

4. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

For the stock keyboard there's also a calibration option. Run through that once or twice to see if that doesn't help at all.

5. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

I tried the calibration, didn't really help me much.

SWYPE is were it's at! Try it although you have to go to there website, it's not in the app store just yet.

6. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

For the win!

7. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

Swype or Shapewriter is your best bet, though I am not sure if either are available in the app market at the moment. I had a hard time typing on my phone as well.
    I have Swype. I often find myself trying to swype on my desktop keyboard...

8. batwings1

batwings1 Well-Known Member

You may want to try ThickButtons Keyboard. I tried it for a while and I like the concept but there are some things I'd like to see get sorted out before I go back to it. It might be worth a try.

9. mikeydingo

mikeydingo Well-Known Member

10. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

compact querty that comes with phone works GREAT!

11. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

How long have you had your phone? Give it time you will adjust :)

12. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

I suffer from Fat Finger Syndrome myself, and imho find the stock HTC Keyboard very useful once you get used to it. Most of the issue is adjusting to touchscreen input.

Once you find using the lightest touch is all you need to get a response, it gets a lot easier. Most people who have problems typing on a touchscreen are those who tap hard on the screen as if the screen needs some kind of pressure impact (for some reason it actually annoys me when I see people banging so hard on their device I can hear the impact).

As well, use the pad of your finder and not the tip of your finger to type (this will also help getting the light touch), as the pad of your finger will touch a smaller area of the screen than the tip will. Get used to this and not only will your typing improve, but you will also find yourself picking out the tiniest of URL's/Links in your web-browser without having to zoom in as much. Using the pad of your finger may feel awkward at first, but you'll get used to it.

Sure there are alternatives like Swype (which I use religiously now, however there are occasions where I prefer touch input), but IMHO I feel it better to get your touchscreen skills down before relying on it.

13. staticcornflake

staticcornflake Member This Topic's Starter

I've had it for about 2 weeks now - I've tried SWYPE but for some reason I couldn't really get the hang of it.

The two biggest annoyances for me when it comes to typing are 1. that the phone is so small (which is a plus in every other aspect) and 2. That in sunlight, I find it much harder to type then on my BB.

For now I've disabled the predictive input, and that seems to be helping a bit. I'd rather send a mis-spelled word than a completely unintended one. I guess I'll give it some more time.

14. caesar

caesar New Member

just triied swype, wow will take some getting ussed to, no double thumb thing...but cool and accurate!