Any upgrade deals?

Last Updated:

1. derspiess

derspiess Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Hero w/ Sprint & the wife is looking to upgrade her RAZR. My company paid for my Hero, so I really didn't think much about cost. And although $179 isn't horrible for an upgrade, my wife told me she doesn't want to pay any more than $99 (she was initially looking at a Pixi & got that price stuck in her head).

I doubt I can get it that low, but is anyone aware of any way to do better than Sprint's $179 upgrade price? I called Sprint a couple times & was flat-out told 'no', and they didn't bother suggesting alternatives, nor did they even try to convince me to pay the $179.

TIA

Advertisement
  2. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

I walked in with my roomate and talked to someone in store. Told them I know I can get it at best buy for $99.

They explained something about the tax on the phone and BB charges tax based on a Retail price of like $800 where sprints retail is $450 or so. So that makes a diff.

She was able to give me $50 off the phone and wave the $27 activation charge. I was happy with that.

Have you checked BB?

3. derspiess

Thanks for the reply. I'll stop by the store & see what happens-- I've gotten them to deal with me before, but it seems to depend on which sales person I'm dealing with.

I looked at the BB ad & it looks like the $99 would be for a new subscriber, and that their upgrade price would still be $179.

Was your roommate a new subscriber or an upgrader?

4. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

He was a new subscriber (came from verizon), but added to my existing family plan.

If your wife is already on Sprint, then I think you are going to be stuck with the upgrade price.

5. stamets303

stamets303 Active Member

I talked to a Best Buy rep online and he said that since the Hero isn't price locked I should go to the Mobile manager at my local Best Buy and see what they could do for me to get the upgrade price down. I ended up going a different route but that's an option if you want to try.

6. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

I upgraded to my hero at bb for $99 I just asked the guy up front. He said no first, but when it was all said and done I payed $140 for the phone with a Zagg IS installed so they only charged me tax for the $100 not for the list price of the phone.

7. jeremysm1

jeremysm1 Active Member

Wish they would have given that deal to me. My local Best Buy flatly would not do the $99 for the hero and strictly offered me the $179 pricing. I talked to 2 different people there at two different times--but this was almost a month ago and times could be different now.

BTW, the ZAGG is nice but is like $25 or $40 installed. You can get the same protection from Bestskinsever.com and I think for $5-$7 with s/h. You install yourself--but it's pretty simple to do.

8. JustinL42

JustinL42 Member

Welcome to our Wireless World

This is where i got mine. 99.00 pretty fast free shipping. Haven't checked to see if sprint will waive the activation fee yet.

JustinL42

9. durandetto

When I first asked the guy about the $99 he said no, but while he was activating my phone we were talking about phones and stuff then when he cashed me out he had his manager come over and put a code in and the price was changed from $179 to $99. It pays to be nice to people sometimes.
    I have tried Phantom Skinz and IS. I've done both myself, but I really wanted the warranty from BB so I could have it redone for free if it was messed up or I had to replace my phone.

10. derspiess

Thanks, I will give Best Buy a shot.

I walked into a Sprint store & got shot down by a sales clerk who kept telling me how awesome a deal $179 is. As I was walking out, some other customer "informed" me of how the Hero is priced at BB & Radio Shack, but he was confusing the new subscriber price with the upgrade price.

11. durandetto

When I told the guy at the Sprint store what I got it for he was quite shocked. I don't see how Sprint can afford not to at least give instant rebates with places like Best Buy.

12. ssblood

ssblood New Member

Got mine for 99 at BB plus shield for 122. I told the wireless manager i wasnt paying 179 for it:/

13. kalesi

kalesi Member

When Sprint sales person told me that there was nothing she could do for me, a long time Sprint Customer, on the Hero's price, I drove across the street to Best Buy to see what they had to offer. Told the Best Buy sales person that I was a current Sprint customer and was due for an upgrade and asked what he could do on the price of a Hero. He said $179.99 and gave me the speech about not having to wait for a mail in rebate. I thanked him and turned to go back to the Sprint Store when he stopped me and asked if I wanted the phone today. ?!?! He knocked $30 of and no activation fee. Better than what Sprint store was willing to do.

Not a bash on Sprint, just pays to shop around.

14. jbrown

jbrown Member

IF you haven't purchased the new phone yet, try Radio Shack. They have the Hero for $99.00 for new/upgrade contracts. (At least in Texas) THat is where I will go for mine. They are an authorized Sprint Resale store so they can do all of the set up right there.

15. Toyzruskid1976

Toyzruskid1976 Well-Known Member

I was at radio shack Sunday and they would only do 179 upgrade 99 new and this was with the manager.

Best Buy did 179/179 and I had to fight them to give me the 99 new line price because I told them it was 99 on line on THEIR site. I wish they would have done 99/99 (as I did one new line, one upgrade)

I went elsewhere for the Zagg... I got my Zagg for 14 dollars shipped from Zagg.com (use code protect20)

The folks at Radio Shack said I should have no problem putting it on myself.

I still have a week left on my 30 day price guarantee... hoping someone drops to 99 upgrade so I can get my 80 dollar price match from Best Buy.

16. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

17. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Ok... First off, if you are a LONG time Sprint customer, it might work better. But you can try this...

CALL Sprint CS, ask for Customer Retentions, tell them you have an issue with upgrading your contract and want to talk to retentions. If not, just be polite and explain that you had seen the Hero advertised at BB for $99 and want the same deal. Be firm, explain that offers to new customers which are better than for existing customers and is unfair. You can also point out that their direct competition offers the same HTC phone under a different name for the $99. Tell them you will be willing to re-sign for the 2 years if they meet the COMPETITORS OFFERS, no rebate! Instant Pricing!!!

If you call after 6pm Eastern Time, I can assure you, it will probably work, they will agree and ship the phone out to you. I have had great success with Retentions and they have always agreed to my requests/demands! Lol...

It's worth the Phone Call, anyway... good luck!

:cool:

18. golpher

golpher Active Member

Yeah i was just a tad irritated when the same week $311.00 is added to my bill for a phone any non custmer can walk in any bb or rs and walk out for a hundred bucks =\ Heck, they dont even have to wait two days to start enjoying it.

Whats the point of having a premium phone when any two bit homie with a beaner and a ugly girlfriend can holster the same equipment.
    I can see it now,, "look misty,, this thang will read them barcodes" while im in the local wally world for a frozen pizza.

/rant off

19. derspiess

Thanks for the heads-up. We had broken down & bought it @ $179 about a week & a half ago. I stopped by the store this afternoon to check the price in case there would be some chance of getting a price guarantee-type adjustment, and it still has it listed as $179 for current subscribers.

I wish I had tried cooolone2's idea before I went to Radio Shack. Oh well, we did get the $50 credit beforehand for renewing her contract, and I'm sending some ancient Samsung flip phones in for a $30 credit, so I suppose I'll live.