Any USB to charge and transfer?Support

Last Updated:

1. mjmark223

mjmark223 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello G1 owners

I got mine yesterday and I plugged in my own USB cable from my computer thinking the G1 USB port was a universal port.

It fit no problem, started charging, and auto opened. I realized that the USB cable (not the charger) that came in the box was different.

They both fit, both worked fine. If I use my own cable am I going to ruin my phone.

I ask because I could charge it at my office desk with one and leave the one that came in the box at home.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is that I am using an ordinary USB cable and it's working and charging fine. Don't send me a bill if your phone explodes though.

That would be unforgivable, IMHO, for an engineer to design a "user trap" like that into the phone.

3. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

I'm using the one from my Dash. No problems, thus far.

On another note, I love how I'm actually allowed to view the pictures on the card in my phone without having to transfer it to the PC unlike the Dash.

4. mjmark223

mjmark223 New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm thinking it's not a problem because the power is coming from the computer and not the wall. I searched around and one guy said to stay away from USB style chargers that plug into the wall. Such as one for a Blackberry, Verizon phone, etc.

I would really like someone who knows about electricity to confirm these theories though.

5. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

i decided to be the guinea pig and tried 3 different chargers and they all worked fine. Sidekick LX charger, MDA, Dash charger.....heck even a motorola RAZR charger. the output and input is the same power for all of em. So no worries there. I also have used a ton of different usb cables to plug the different phones to my PC. No issues. :cool:

6. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member

PS3 controller charging cable works too.

7. Flatman

Flatman Well-Known Member

good news.

8. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

Indeed it does! I sometimes charge my phone while gaming :D

9. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

The USB cable that comes in the box is just that, a cable.

It does nothing to modifiy the power or data like some other devices with proprietary cables do.

Feel free to use any USB cable or port on any device, computer, laptop, game station, space station... (as an example I'm able to charge and use the SD card for music via my cars CD player's USb cable) :cool:

The "U" in USB stand for universal! :D. So all USB ports/cable/devices should be compatible (if they don't then they fail to meet USB standards).

However, keep in mind that some unpowered USB hubs may not charge the phone when connected, though data should work, if not plug directly into the computer.