• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Verizon Reps here, Policy question.?

freddyttt

Android Enthusiast
May 3, 2010
Im pretty Pissed and usually let these things go. however not this time-
unless of course if I am wrong.:eek:

I went in to my local VZ corp store to transfer my wifes broken chocolate(numbers+pics) to my old env3. transferring the numbers would be no problem but unless i purchased a 20.00 micro sd card he would not transfer the Pics. well he would transfer the pics but Policy says he would charge me a 20.00 transfer charge. hence the wash with buying the card.!

I also asked to see such said policy in which he replayed its not written anywhere.

now Iv done this at least 10 times over the years and was never charged. explained that to him and he said someone was not doing there job. some words were exchanged. I also asked for his last name which he refused to give. until i pretty much demand it.

again im a pretty easy dude however i feel he was trying to sell me something and when i called him on it he became a jerk....

is this policy,? or do i owe this dude an apology,?.

thanks-

I don't understand. I know that they will transfer your contacts for free (usually only if you buy a new phone at that time though, so I honestly think he was being nice by doing it for you with two old phones and no sale).

But I have never seen them do it for your own data. So I am not at all surprised that they would charge you a convenience charge for such a thing. Sounds to me like you got lucky in the past and they did it for you, but not this guy.

Pictures are super easy to do yourself so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Upvote 0
This happened to me about a year or so ago. I explained to him that I had been a customer for more than 8 years, never had a late payment etc. The least he could do was transfer everything at no cost. I was buying a new phone at the time. He completely refused. I told him to go ahead and do it, I called the 800 number, the lady didn't know what I was talking about, she hadn't heard of any such policy, filed a complaint against him and get a $20.00 credit from them.

Upvote 0
All the Verizon Corp. stores in my area do the same thing. The transfer of contacts and data is free with the purchase of a new phone AND a new contract. In any other type of sale they charge $10 for contact transfer and $20 for contact and data transefer. Your best bet is to go ahead and pay the fee and then on your way home contact customer service and complain and they will credit your bill the $20.

Upvote 0
Here's the scoop, it is something that's relatively new. They're trying to leverage the cost of having the machine to do the transfers and get customers to be self sufficient. Some stores don't even have the machines anymore. The fee was there before, but not always enforced, and was always free for VIP customers, but now the VIP program has ended, and they do charge for the data transfer. Ideally, they do want customers to manage their info themselves. In addition to saving them time and money in the store, it would save you time as well, to not have to go into a store, but just move a memory card from one phone to another, and download backup assistant for your contacts from the comfort of your couch.

imo, if this rep had decent people skills, he could have found a way to "positively position" this new policy enforcement to you without getting you all upset.

Upvote 0
I can see why they charged for it.

Things like this are complimentary when you buy a new phone, because it's part of the process of having it ready when you leave the store.

But when it's transferring files and such, that's a service, that's time. i can see where VZW would want to be compensated for that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones