Any video converter frame size for desire

Last Updated:

1. RH A4CAB

RH A4CAB Member This Topic's Starter

Searched the web but need a bit more help .

Convert movies to MP4 using Any video converter all works ok but when playing movie back on phone it plays in wide screen/letterbox ie boarders at the top and bottom of the screen .

I've tried changing the frame size so far i've used 640x480 and 800x480 with no joy any idea what it needs to be to get movies to play in full screen .

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Are you trying to convert DVD's? I would use handbrake, it allows you to change the aspect ratio.

FYI, theres a reason those bars are there, so you can see everything the movie was shot in. The only way to get rid of the bars, is to stretch the video up and down, making everyone look skinny, or crop the left and right sides, losing about 30 percent of the picture.

3. jgreetham

jgreetham Well-Known Member

I did some experimentation the last few days with .wmv conversions - wmv is supported by RockPlayer. I used WinAVI to convert SVCD mpg videos @ 640x480 to wmv while varying, in particular, the bit rate. In windows explorer the file properties shows the resolution of the original and you can also play it to see if there is any letter boxing in the original.

For the bit rate I settled on 700 kbps as being a good compromise between file size & quality. I didn't see much change going from 1400 kbps to 700 and the file size dropped by almost half.

For several of the videos there was some letter boxing on the original 640x480 so I went to 800x480. These videos look great on my Vibrant and are as close to full screen as I can see. One other I tried said the original was 480x480 so I just used that same value for the conversion and it looks very nice too but obviously it doesn't fill the screen to the sides.

Cheers,
    Jim

4. RH A4CAB

RH A4CAB Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys

sitlet , converting from downloaded Avi movie to mp4 , just need to get the playback a little bigger as i'm losing approx 30-40 % in letterbox .Can't use handbrake as my netbook screen res is not big enough so it won't install.

jgreetham , Thanks some good info there i'll give them a try .

5. sitlet

sitlet Banned

you arent losing anything, you are seeing the whole picture. You WILL lose 30-40% of the picture if you crop it.