• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any way on getting LTE on Nexus 4(No root)?

You don't technically need root to get LTE, but you do have to unlock the bootloader in order to flash the correct radio modem. Either that, or find a Nexus 4 that still has 4.2.1 on it. Your phone will only bump up to HSPA:15 when it actually pulls data in for an "extended" period of time. Otherwise it will sit on HSPA:10.

Well in order to flash the correct radio I have to have a recovery. Also I never really had HSPA+10. Either HSDPA, HSPA, HSPA+, or HSPA+15

Upvote 0
Well in order to flash the correct radio I have to have a recovery. Also I never really had HSPA+10. Either HSDPA, HSPA, HSPA+, or HSPA+15

It can be done through recovery, or it can be done through the bootloader. But either way, you're going to need a computer. As far as your HSPA, that is different than what I've seen. I've only ever seen GRPS:1, EDGE:2, UMTS, HSPA:10, HSPA:15, LTE:13. Maybe it's how the carrier's signal gets read?

Upvote 0
It can be done through recovery, or it can be done through the bootloader. But either way, you're going to need a computer. As far as your HSPA, that is different than what I've seen. I've only ever seen GRPS:1, EDGE:2, UMTS, HSPA:10, HSPA:15, LTE:13. Maybe it's how the carrier's signal gets read?

Would editing the APN help at all? Its weird how I have not gotten anything higher than HSPA+ anymore. I have the .84 baseband.

Upvote 0
Possibly, I know that T-Mobile has two common ones that they use, though I'm not sure of what Metro uses.

T-Mobile uses:

epc.tmobile.com
fast.t-mobile.com

the fast.t-mobile.com one is the one that enables LTE, but it throttles your HSPA speeds. So maybe Metro is similar?

Fast.T-Mobile.com is all that's needed to change?

Upvote 0
So you're trying to say I can flash a .33 radio even if I have .84?

Yep, won't be an issue. I got my phone with a .48 radio and flashed down to .33. There was a bug that would cause muted audio when making a phone call, but certain custom roms fix that. I believe the hybrid .33/.84 radio also fixes that bug. So if you're going to do it, that's the one to flash.

Upvote 0
Yep, won't be an issue. I got my phone with a .48 radio and flashed down to .33. There was a bug that would cause muted audio when making a phone call, but certain custom roms fix that. I believe the hybrid .33/.84 radio also fixes that bug. So if you're going to do it, that's the one to flash.

I can find this hybrid radio in the forums right? I saw a topic but it just mentions it.

Upvote 0
A buddy of mine has a thread that contains radio files as flashable zips for custom recovery like twrp or cwm. However you could extract the .img file and flash it through the bootloader if you wanted to as well.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-4-al...exus-4-radios-flash-in-recovery-lte-hspa.html

If on 4.3, flash the hybrid radio, and then a couple of fixes once booted and you should be good. Having root is preferred to help make it stick after each reboot, but isn't required because you could always manually re-enable it after a boot.

Upvote 0
A buddy of mine has a thread that contains radio files as flashable zips for custom recovery like twrp or cwm. However you could extract the .img file and flash it through the bootloader if you wanted to as well.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-4-al...exus-4-radios-flash-in-recovery-lte-hspa.html

If on 4.3, flash the hybrid radio, and then a couple of fixes once booted and you should be good. Having root is preferred to help make it stick after each reboot, but isn't required because you could always manually re-enable it after a boot.

I prefer to root and install cwm then flash. I'm having a hard time getting the toolkit to work though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones