Any way to backup contacts from phone to gmail or pc?

Last Updated:

1. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I got my HTC Hero a few days back, I instantly noticed I cannot bluetooth my contacts. So I spent over hours trying to figure out a way to do it and eventually forced me to create all my contacts in my PC (which I just import/exported to my gmail account), but that took me about an hour or 2. So I was wondering if there was some way I can backup my contacts FROM the phone, directly onto gmail, or a contacts file. Because I know I will get contacts, and this information will be helpful in the near future.

Also, please check out my other thread. My HTC is having major Awake issues.

Advertisement
  2. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

If you set the contact type to "Google" it will automatically sync them with your Google account

3. neversatisfied

I tried that once and it never worked for me for some odd reason. Maybe it will now a days, but idk.

4. vido.ardes

I use it quite a lot, because I use custom ROM's I have to wipe my phone every time I want to load a new one, and it has always pulled my contacts down automatically without fail.

5. neversatisfied

So that's one of the downfalls of rooting? or is there a way to bypass that?

6. vido.ardes

Rooting itself doesn't remove anything, it just enables access to parts of the phone you didn't before. This in turn allows you to install custom ROM's, and it is the installation of custom ROM's that wipes your data (or should, otherwise you run into problems).

But like I say I've never had problems syncing my contacts to the Google cloud, and I am not too bothered about keeping texts so they just get deleted. Any paid for apps appear in the market when you reconnect your account and you can download any free ones again

7. neversatisfied

ill have to look into it more. I dont wanna root anything unless i know for sure sprint dont mess up my contract or anything like that lol. I have insurance on my phone and idk if they will deny me if somehow my htc gets messed up cus i rooted it.

8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Do your homework before rooting. Rooting will void your warranty (but it is possible to unroot).

Menu > Settings > Data Sync > Google. Check the box that says contacts. Also check the top TWO boxes.

*THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOUR CONTACTS ARE GOOGLE CONTACTS AND NOT PHONE CONTACTS*

9. neversatisfied

Im trying to find a site that has all features a rooted phone has and all the information technical wise but everytime i search google for it, it just says whats best about it. Idk wtf a rom is or how its used or anything bout it lol. I only assume a rom is like a home replacement type of thing.

10. Kelmar

No offense... let's get your awake issue solved first. Then I'll help with the rest :)

11. neversatisfied

I know I can have it automatically sync to google. But im saying if i didnt want it that way. Would there be a way to maybe back it up as a file? then upload it to gmail if i wanted? or through windows contacts?

12. Kelmar

You can also sync all your contacts to your computer using HTC Sync/ Yes, you can then back them up to google.

You can do them either as a google contact or windows contact... it's really up to you.

13. neversatisfied

then I guess I am good to go :D

Thanks