General any way to change read only files?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by twynn373, Jan 7, 2010.

1. twynn373

twynn373 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    army
    Texas, living in Ga.... Lame
    hello world and thanks in advance. well im reeeeally trying to customize my htc clock widget. ive got into the system file using "root explorer" and i got to open them up on photoshop on my pc. i finished my clock and all that good stuff, and wen i tried moving it back to the folder from which it came, ACCESS DENIED!!! it said it was a read only file... any ideas how to get access without rooting:thinking: PLEEEEEEEEASE HELP!!

Advertisement

2. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Co-Manager of SONIC Drive-In
    Texas!
    Right-Click, Properties - on the file you created and find the Read-Only check box part of the file. If it is checked, Uncheck it, and vice-versa. This SHOULD correct the problem. I don't do the root thing, so no guarantees here. lol (I'd be more specific, but I have Windows 7 and everything is moved around from it's native locations)

I am starting to wonder about Windows.. Macs seems to be catching my eye more and more. >.>

3. twynn373

Dec 29, 2009
    army
    i know what u mean and i have tried that, the best i can do is save a duplicate and save it on the sd card with full control, im tryin to overwrite and replace the original png. files, but those are the files to which i dont have permission.

4. Matlock

Jan 6, 2010
    Texas!
    My best advice in this case is talk to the best Rooters you can find. I'm sure there is a way around this issue. It's simple, but HTC likes to make things hard, i've noticed.

"It's Open Source..but not THAT open Source." rofl

5. twynn373

Dec 29, 2009
    army
    well appreciate the help, if u know anybody who can help could u let me know.
    anybody else have suggestions?

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    What you are trying to do - subvert the Linux file permission system - is exactly what gaining root user identity allows.

Now you know at least one of the reasons why folks try to do that - it allows complete freedom to customize (or screw up) the phone.

cheers

eu1

7. twynn373

Dec 29, 2009
    army
    yea im just nervous about rooting my phone. im still not even clear on how to do it

8. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    No one else does either - yet... either that or they are being very quiet about it ;)

9. Matlock

Jan 6, 2010
    Texas!
    Rooting takes practice and trial and error. If you have time and money, Root away. If not, tread lightly.