• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any way to gain GSM capability?

I have heard the Eris Qualcom processor actually has GSM radio capability. Is there any way to gain access to this so as to enable some use of the device in Europe for traveling? Or would that require a SIM card on the device- end of story?

I'd love to get the Eris, or new N1/Passion when avail, but not having it operate internationally is a problem.

Yeah 10-4
I saw that the circuitry on the Hero/Sprint had the GSM capability, then logic trailed that the Eris had this and that somehow it may be able to go GSM. No dice.

When you say the BB Tour has SIM card but it is "flashed", what does that mean for capability to drop a non-Verizon SIM card in there for voice overseas?

Are there any Android phones which have GSM capability?

Upvote 0
Yeah 10-4
I saw that the circuitry on the Hero/Sprint had the GSM capability, then logic trailed that the Eris had this and that somehow it may be able to go GSM. No dice.

When you say the BB Tour has SIM card but it is "flashed", what does that mean for capability to drop a non-Verizon SIM card in there for voice overseas?

Are there any Android phones which have GSM capability?

Most of the new BBs on Verizon and even Sprint have radios that will work for both CDMA and GSM. Which allows them to be used world wide. CDMA in the states and GSM in other countries.

Almost all Android devices are GSM. There are none, to my knowledge, that offer a dual CDMA/GSM radio though. The Sprint Hero was the first CDMA Android and the Droid and Eris the second. The only other one out there is the Samsung Moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones