• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any way to get 3rd party apps writeable to SDExternal?

LaZeR

Android Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2010
Hermitage, PA
Tried various methods on my GF's rooted T-Mobile branded Avant. Xposed "Handler" or whatever it's called, didn't work. Nor did a couple claiming to achieve said purpose on playstore.

Any tricks? I'm simply trying to get (for example) Astro File Manager to be able to move an item/pic from Sdcard0 to External, and of course I get the "Not able to do on KitKat 4.4... blah blah" error msg.

So simple of a fix on my Note 4... Not sure if the Avant is capable of any fix for this or not?

Thanks!

Tried various methods on my GF's rooted T-Mobile branded Avant. Xposed "Handler" or whatever it's called, didn't work. Nor did a couple claiming to achieve said purpose on playstore.

Any tricks? I'm simply trying to get (for example) Astro File Manager to be able to move an item/pic from Sdcard0 to External, and of course I get the "Not able to do on KitKat 4.4... blah blah" error msg.

So simple of a fix on my Note 4... Not sure if the Avant is capable of any fix for this or not?

Thanks!
Yeah you have to get it right permission in the XML the permissions XML

Reactions: LaZeR
Upvote 0
That was one of the Apps I tried and it did not allow "Astro File Manager" to say, move a file to ExtSD without the KitKat complaint msg error. I even rebooted her phone. But thanks for suggesting.

Ive used these type of apps and worked just fine. Maybe try ES file explorer? I can link you the app of play store, that worked for me.

Upvote 0
Just to update. I sort of found out by mistake. The problem was using "Fix Permissions" in TWRP.

The reason I know this. I recently updated my GF's Avant to the latest firmware. Re-rooted, Flashed Recovery... Set phone back up. I was getting a fluke FC in one of the apps so I went into recovery and did a "Fix Permissions" under /Advanced. Luckily, I had noted that before doing this, Astro was working fine in moving files to/from Internal to External. Another thing that it had messed up and I was blaming Gmail was that you could no longer DL an attachment via Gmail App.

Anyhow, I Odin'd back the firmware update, re-rooted, recovery, ect... And just for kicks, did a "Fix Permissions" again in TWRP resulting in the same exact problem/issue.

;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones