• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any way to get a plan cheaper than $20 on the LG Volt?

$20 is their cheapest for crappy amount of minutes & data.
The unlimited plan is better, but I will be using the phone sparsely & won't be using too many minutes or data if at all. So I don't want to pay that much a month.

Is there a way to pay less & be able to phone people (without using Google hangouts)?
I heard something about a pay as you go plan, but can't find it anywhere on their site.

My Sprint Prepaid Volt wouldn't activate on FreedomPop for some reason, even though it's supposed to. Did you by chance try to use FreedomPop before you activated the phone on RingPlus?

I didn't, but I do have an old EVO 3D activated in FreedomPop. No issues with that getting that account set up.

When did you try to activate your Volt? Mine was given as a Christmas gift and activated then, before the new unlocking rules came into effect. You may be having problems because now a prepaid device needs to be active on its original service for a year before being released for an MVNO. I knew that Boost and Virgin Mobile were subject to this rule, but I just read yesterday that Sprint prepaid is included as well.

Upvote 0
I didn't, but I do have an old EVO 3D activated in FreedomPop. No issues with that getting that account set up.

When did you try to activate your Volt? Mine was given as a Christmas gift and activated then, before the new unlocking rules came into effect. You may be having problems because now a prepaid device needs to be active on its original service for a year before being released for an MVNO. I knew that Boost and Virgin Mobile were subject to this rule, but I just read yesterday that Sprint prepaid is included as well.

I tried activating it again just yesterday, said the phone wasn't compatible based on the IMEI code I gave it. However I lost my sim card, but that shouldn't have any effect on the IMEI code check, right? It will work with Ringplus apparently though. Isn't Ringplus bound to the MVNO rule too? Do you think I could convince Sprint to give me a free replacement sim card and/or release the phone?

Upvote 0
The RadioShack I got my phone at is closed now, do you think I might have a chance if I told Sprint that RadioShack said it would work with FreedomPop?

You can always try. I wouldn't count on it, but quite a bit seems to depend on who you talk to. Some representatives are rigid about rules, others not so much.

I haven't used my FreedomPop phone for calls, but the fact that they go through a special app rather than the regular dialer seems awkward to me. RingPlus uses the regular call and text capabilities of the phone. They also recently introduced some additional plans. Check it out and see what might work for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones