Any way to improve the Desire's camera (esp shutter speed?)?Support

Last Updated:

1. TechGrin

TechGrin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

Does anyone else find find the camera on the Desire extremely sensitive to any hand movement while taking a picture?

I found the camera on my old iPhone 3GS much better in this department (although the picture quality overall was not as good).

And I know that a phone is no replacement for a dedicated camera, but is there any way to improve the shutter speed/sensitivity to movement?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Crafty

Crafty Well-Known Member

If you want a faster shutter speed you need to use a wider aperture or increase the ISO setting. This applies to any camera.

Just had a quick play, it seems we can't alter shutter or aperture (unless there are any marketplace apps that let you change this??). You can however alter the ISO.

ISO is basically how sensitive the sensor is to light, the more sensitive it is the slower shutter speed you can use (or smaller aperture).

The ISO is automatically selected as default, but you can change it. If you get the camera running, press menu, then select the gears icon you can change the ISO, the higher the number, the more sensitive it will be.

Note that increasing the ISO will degrade picture quality, you'll see the picture get more grainy, this is known as "noise".

No guarantee that increasing the ISO will help, but it looks to be all you can do unless another camera app lets you alter aperture and shutter.

All cameras (or lenses in the case of SLR cameras) have limits with regards to what is the widest aperture they can use. Minimum shutter speed is probably about 1/8th second before you'll see shake.

3. billy1561

billy1561 Well-Known Member

You probably already have done this but i have this problem too so i lean on a solid object for stability

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I think it would be a lot of work for an app to do this. Shutterspeed possibly not so much, but the aperture I think would be quite hard. Also, that would depend on the physical design of the shutter.

5. snoodthebubble

snoodthebubble New Member

Changed the ISO from default to 100 and photos of people are MUCH better :D

Never had an issue with objects, just people that tend to move (they have a habit of that).

Thank you ever so much. So good that I registered just to thank you :)

6. 1208

1208 Well-Known Member

anyone know of any Apps that lengthen the Shutter Speed? I'm looking at anything over 15seconds to 30seconds ideally, thanks

7. alonebynight

alonebynight New Member