Any way to NOT add space after picking a word?

Last Updated:

1. ericiu

ericiu New Member This Topic's Starter

So, I like the way my Droid gives me suggestions as I start typing, but I have a problem with it always adding a space after I pick a suggested word. Is there any way to disable this automatic space? I tried looking in settings and keyboard and there is something under auto-complete for adding a space, but that doesn't fix the problem when I toggle it. Any ideas?

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if any app exists to get 7 home screens a la HTC Sense on the Droid? I've heard aHome and some other app but those both don't run on Android 2.0.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement
  2. nate94gt

nate94gt Active Member

i do not know but noticed that as well, however it hasnt bothered me.
    I dislike the fact that when i add something such as :eek: or :) it always puts the colon right after the last letter i typed. So i say "I like that :)" it would go "I like that:)"
    I always have to backspace the colon out and then put it back in :(

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

That's because that is the proper use of a colon ;)

4. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

Yeah I find it a PITA when it does that as well. Specially when the Droid's smiley's include the stupid - in the faces. For example, :) which I don't understand why it does that since all other messaging systems use the simple :) or :( It creates an inconsistency among the chatting programs. When I talk to my girlfriend on her blackberry through gtalk, I insert smiley face :) and she doesn't see the emoticon.

Anyway, enough bickering. I wish some things would change.

5. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

When would you not want it to add a space? If it is the end of a sentence you can either hit space again (double space adds a period) or just hit period and it will put it in the right place. I think its pretty smart about adding the space.

6. professor0530

professor0530 Member

Why would you want to change or disable this feature??

7. ericiu

ericiu New Member This Topic's Starter

well where it mainly annoys me is when I'm typing in my e-mail address (or other login info) for some websites. for example, if my email address is keyboarder@keyboard.com, when i start typing the username, it'll offer me the full word.. i select it.. then i have to go back and delete the space it added because i want to put an "@" next without the gap. does that make sense?

it's a minor thing... i'll get over it.

8. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

The feature is good for most writing, but there are cases when spelling product or company names, or usernames that mixed case is required.