Any way to NOT lag while typing in native "Messages" app?

Last Updated:

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've tried everything...root, custom ROM, overclock, removing Sprint bloatware. But no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the typing lag in the native SenseUI "Messages" app.

Has ANYONE found a way to type fast and furiously without any lag in the Messages app? PLEASE SHARE! I've tried 3rd party keyboards as well, to no avail...

Advertisement
  2. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

The best keyboard I found was swiftkey, no lag

3. Neo31697

Neo31697 Member

The problem is not the keyboard or the third party app. Its the HTC messenger app. I have rooted my phone and gone with a non sense rom (no pun) and the keyboard is as fast as I can type. Do what you would like but I would suggest going aosd rom and try it out. Also look up the app minfreemanager, that helped a little on stock messenger app. Good luck

4. dvdqnoc

What is aosd ROM? And also, for a non-Sense ROM, what SMS apps are used?

5. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Non Sense UI (aosp) roms also have a stock messaging app, with much better features I might add.

6. Neo31697

Neo31697 Member

In my opinion the stock message app is not better then the HTC you have to download hancent in order to be pic messages or video messages like I said the more I use a non sense rom the more I more I seem to be missing it. Like the HTC mail app and the HTC browser with flash lite and the features of the messenger app, not the lag

7. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

The aosp messaging app has an auto-delete feature that you can set to delete threads that are getting big, that alone makes it far better than the htc messaging app. Its also switchable between a black or white color scheme.

8. jeffreynothing43

jeffreynothing43 Well-Known Member

bro...i feel your pain. typing in messaging, even using handcent (which uses messaging) always has given me lag. i have found a fix - but have had to lose a few things in the process. i'm not going to post it on here cause i know someone will be like 'my hero has never had lag' or say that my solution doesn't make sense. however - i was about to give up on the device until this. PM me if you want it. but yah...the text lag is out of this world ridiculous. but oddly enough, my girlfriends hero doesn't have any.

9. jeffreynothing43

jeffreynothing43 Well-Known Member

i've found swiftkey to have tons of lag and at times, be nearly unusable. this is not a solution. its not a keyboard issue. its something native to the phone. slow processor...slow slow slow phone. have you ran an incredible, evo, droid x, or anything not made a year ago back to back with the hero? its like a Ferrari vs a Honda Civic. not TOTALLY hating on the Hero...just saying - a new keyboard is not the fix. :-\

10. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

you don't have to completely flash another rom. all you need to do is get rid of the HTC native messaging app and push the native ANDROID messaging app. that is what i did and the lag from the keyboard is pretty much completely gone...and you get a BIGGER spacebar key for those of us with bigger thumbs.

i just tried to attach the Mms.apk but something is wrong with the site and it is not allowing me. so if you would like the native android mms.apk let me know with a PM or something.

11. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member

where can we get these apps to push to the device?

also, i use the phone keypad option with t9 when typing messages with the stock app and that is lag free, one handed operation.

12. texas83

texas83 Well-Known Member

i use swype now, its getting better. but just loading the text message application takes forever with that "LOADING" screen. i dont have an issue with typing lag, just opening the program itself takes too long, and selecting messages and waiting for them to open takes too long too. i used chompsms for a while and it had the same problem. is there a better text message app? how do i use the android native app?

13. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

AOSP Mms.apk

14. texas83

if i load that above SMS app, do i need to first remove my htc messaging app? can i have them both, like you can do with chompsms?

15. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member

i deleted the one on the phone before pushing the vanilla version over.

16. dvdqnoc

I tried pushing the Vanilla one over, and it simply replaced the HTC one. I could not find the HTC one in my app drawer anymore.

But I would like to have both... is there any way to accomplish this? Good thing I did a Nandroid before.

17. texas83

i didnt know how to delete the old htc one so i just loaded the above MMS app. It is atleast 1 second faster than the HTC version so thats good.