• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any way to retrieve files from Soft-bricked phone?

beertha

Jul 10, 2010
My Captivate wont go past the Galaxy S logo screen anymore and the bottom buttons stay lit.
I can get it into recovery mode but I would like to save some pics and vids that I have on the internal SD card.
Anyway to save files before I Odin flash this thing?

Droid explorer sees the phone but wont show the paths/files.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Well, this may seem elementary but - what the heck.

I tried a hot reboot program the other day that locked up the phone and lit up the four soft buttons...as is the case with your device. I performed a highly-sophisticated battery "pull and replace" procedure and then started the phone normally.

Have you performed a battery pull? Make sure women and children are at a safe distance.

Upvote 0
I gotta pull the battery everytime I want to get it into recovery mode, so yes I have been pulling the battery many times.
The update prob killed my phone because it kept trying to update every 4 hrs and I have the Uleash the Beast/ OCLF / Battery Circle mod. I didnt want to update but it kept trying to do it.
Anyways I was on a 10 day vacation when my phone crapped out on the 7th day (It sucked to not have a phone while going to theme parks) so I would like to retrieve some of the photos before I reflash the firmware.

Upvote 0
Someone at XDA helped me realize that Odin does not overwrite your internal flash and simply writes what it needs to- so all my pics and vids are intact.
I just Odin backed to JF6 and retrieved all my vacation photos and vids all is well.

- thanks Jack45 for trying to help me out.

I owe whoever made Odin a big thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones