• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any way to silence notification from a specific app?

Kelemvor

Nov 12, 2010
So I play some games like Clash of Clans where it notifies you when things happen in the game so you can go check in and take some action. This is the notification you see when you go into Application Manager, open a specific app, and check the box near the top to receive notifications... This is normally great.

However, I really don't need to get the notifications from them in the middle of the night. So, I'm looking for a way that I can somehow stop these notifications from making noise at night or just stop the noise completely but still see the icon.

I have Tasker installed so maybe I can use that somehow as well. I don't want to set my phone to vibrate mode because I do want to still get notified from Text Messages but Android seems to use the same "Notification" setting for SMS, system notifications, app notifications, etc.

The only thing I came up with would be to turn my Notification volume to silent at night but use Tasker to intercept all SMS messages and play an alert on its own, bypassing the silenced notification setting. I think that would work but just thought of it as I'm typing this so haven't tried it out yet.

Anyone have any other ideas on either stopping just Application Alerts at night or any other way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Since you already have Tasker, I would definitely recommend using it for this. What I've done is set my phone to silent at night when it's in its dock, and then have Tasker turn on the sounds for specific things, like calls or texts from "high priority" contacts. Some phones don't handle this well for calls (they don't respond to programmatic volume changes while the phone is "ringing").

Here's what I'm using for calls:

Profile: Priority Call (373)
Priority: 10 Notification: no
State: Call [ Type:Incoming Number:home/*school/Mom/C:FAV ]
Enter: EscAlert (374)
A1: Variable Set [ Name:%silent To:%SILENT Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
A2: Vibrate On Ringer [ Set:On ]
A3: Ringer Volume [ Level:1 Display:Off Sound:Off ] If [ %silent ~ on/vibrate ]
A4: Silent Mode [ Mode:Off ]
A5: Wait [ MS:500 Seconds:3 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A6: Ringer Volume [ Level:3 Display:Off Sound:Off ] If [ %silent ~ on/vibrate ]
A7: Wait [ MS:500 Seconds:3 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A8: Ringer Volume [ Level:5 Display:Off Sound:Off ] If [ %silent ~ on/vibrate ]
A9: Wait [ MS:500 Seconds:3 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A10: Ringer Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ] If [ %silent ~ on/vibrate ]

Exit: Anon (217)
A1: Stop [ With Error:Off Task:EscAlert ]

If the volume was originally set to ON or VIBRATE it sets the ringer volume to 1 and then gradually increases is until it reaches maximum volume or the call ends.

You can do something similar with notifications, and just play the default notification sound using Tasker and time a notification appears, with an exception for apps you want silenced.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones