• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help any way to stop the update nag? (non-rooted)

j13smiley

Sep 9, 2010
ohio
non-rooted phone... happy with 2.2 and don't want to deal with chance of the 2.3 upgrade issues (i've done a couple phone and have posted in the long update thread).

i continue to "ignore update" but it returns every few days... will this eventually stop?

non-rooted phone... happy with 2.2 and don't want to deal with chance of the 2.3 upgrade issues (i've done a couple phone and have posted in the long update thread).

i continue to "ignore update" but it returns every few days... will this eventually stop?

Eventually it will stop... BUT you may also wake up one day with your phone wiped and the update installed itself.

There isn't really a reason not to upgrade, all the bugs have been worked out. I'd recommend to back everything up, do a factory reset, install the update, and do another factory reset, then restore everything.

Upvote 0
Eventually it will stop... BUT you may also wake up one day with your phone wiped and the update installed itself.

There isn't really a reason not to upgrade, all the bugs have been worked out. I'd recommend to back everything up, do a factory reset, install the update, and do another factory reset, then restore everything.

I have been trying to update and can't!! Quite the opposite. I even factory reset today and, accordingly, the update began. And also accordingly, it failed where it used to before I reset it.

But at least I had the fun of everything back where I liked it! :rolleyes::mad:

Beyond the factory reset, I guess I am out of options. Phone is a year and a half old, so out of warranty also.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to update and can't!! Quite the opposite. I even factory reset today and, accordingly, the update began. And also accordingly, it failed where it used to before I reset it.

Beyond the factory reset, I guess I am out of options. Phone is a year and a half old, so out of warranty also.

There is instructions in the root section to manually install it, you would just start at step 4.

Or there is a link to the RUU(ROM update utility) in this forum.

Upvote 0
it goes away for 3-5 days, then i'll get notified for a day. it will go away for 3-5 days, then come back for a day. this will eventually stop?

It did for people when froyo came out, can't say for sure with this update.... But like i said above, it may just decide to install itself without warning and wipe your phone one day.

Upvote 0

LOL, I have the same problem. Every few days I get the message. I click "Install Now" It says it's "rebooting in N seconds" and then nothing ever happens! I feel like every 3 days there's an update on the end of a string and someone yanks the string everytime I try to update :p

Reactions: nvrfgt343
Upvote 0
LOL, I have the same problem. Every few days I get the message. I click "Install Now" It says it's "rebooting in N seconds" and then nothing ever happens! I feel like every 3 days there's an update on the end of a string and someone yanks the string everytime I try to update :p

I've also got this problem. I get a dialog box every few days telling me about the update...I hit 'update now' and it never restarts the phone. Is this another glitchy update?

Upvote 0
Not interested in rooting, thanks. Not having any problems with the phone as is, and will be looking to upgrade relatively soon anyway.

I don't mean to sound rude, but you likely didn't even click that link or pay attention to what he said. I wrote that thread he linked to. If you do as he said and do step 4, you'll skip flashing back to the stock recovery. You don't have to do this because you aren't rooted. If you attempt to go further than step 4, you're going back into rooted territory and you won't be able to flash clockwork or superuser.

More accurately, his post should say "just do step 4'.

So, Download 3.26.605.1 to 4.08.605.2

Step 4.
Rename 5059e5b6c5b2.OTA_Incredible_C_Gingerbread_S_VERIZO N_WWE_4.08.605.2-3.26.605.1_release_222220.zip to update.zip and place on the root of your SD card. Power the phone down and enter hboot by holding volume down and power.
If not prompted, navigate into recovery and select to update from update.zip. Sometimes this update gives an error and presents you with a red triangle. If this happens, press volume up and the power button to get to the menu and select to run the update.zip again. Reboot the phone.

Done.

The other option is to install it using the RUU, or PB31IMG.zip file. You can flash files that are signed for the phone, which is how you unroot by returning to stock. Essentially you're doing a factory reset on your phone by overriding everything with the stock firmware. That means this method will wipe your phone, but sometimes that isn't a downfall because problems can occur during updates.

Reactions: sdrawkcab25
Upvote 0
mmolitor87, one thing I'm not quite clear on, and I should be before I do it to my wife's phone. :)
Does what you described above as 'step 4' do the equivalent of a factory reset on the phone? My wife's phone has been nagging her, she's only tried to update once and it failed. She asked me last to 'make this go away', which I figure I'll do by updating it.
My phone is rooted, so I just flashed the ROM, so a slightly different set of 'rules' on mine (that and I don't care if I have to reset stuff, but it makes my wife a little cranky to have to do so :) )
Thanks

Edit: ignore this, I just found in the linked thread where Iowabowtech said this would reset the phone. So now I know.

Upvote 0
mmolitor87, one thing I'm not quite clear on, and I should be before I do it to my wife's phone. :)
Does what you described above as 'step 4' do the equivalent of a factory reset on the phone? My wife's phone has been nagging her, she's only tried to update once and it failed. She asked me last to 'make this go away', which I figure I'll do by updating it.
My phone is rooted, so I just flashed the ROM, so a slightly different set of 'rules' on mine (that and I don't care if I have to reset stuff, but it makes my wife a little cranky to have to do so :) )
Thanks

Edit: ignore this, I just found in the linked thread where Iowabowtech said this would reset the phone. So now I know.

If you load the file in step 4 through recovery, it will not wipe your phone.

The files in iowa's thread is an RUU, which will wipe your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones