Any Way to Unroot without being able to use the phone's screen???

Last Updated:

1. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So my screen, or something else, about my phone died. I'm beginning to think it's not the screen and actually the phone itself (since WaveSecure doesn't seem to be able to remotely lock / alarm the phone), in which case this post is moot.

In either case, there is no way to unroot the phone without being able to mount the phone, correct? Since I can't see anything on the screen I obviously can't mount it. I'd rather not try to have them replace a rooted phone though.

If the phone is fried, will they be able to detect that it was rooted?

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Are you postive its not a battery issue? Have you tried leaving the phone charging (from the AC adapter, not off USB from a computer) overnight? There have been many reports of such "bricking" but all seem to come back to life and most ar battery discharging issues.

3. Titaniac

Titaniac Well-Known Member

If you're sure your phone is actually working without the screen on, you can follow the instructions in http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html . The only problem is that you won't see the screen saying that it is connected, updating, etc, but your computer will be telling you that info as well. I've done this several times over the last week, and now I can almost do it in my sleep (but my screens worked).

Best of luck... and I hope your phone isn't bricked.

4. DGalt

I'll try this, but I don't think that that's the issue. The phone is on. I can tell the screen is on. Also, this happened after the phone had been connected to the AC charger all night (I actually don't know if the phone was working when I took it off the charger...it was working on the charger this morning though).

If I read that correctly, I don't actually need to mount the phone. Awesome!

They're sending me a replacement, so being able to just reset the phone is all I need

5. Titaniac

You don't have to.mount the phone but you do have to load the bootloader which is extremely simple. Just power on the phone while holding up on the arrow pad. Takes literally three seconds for it to be in bootloader mode. Then rsdlite talks through the bootloader. I will say that it is not exactly easy to set up but once it is, it's a breeze to work. It takes about ten minutes or so to complete, and sometimes (about half the times) the computer may give you an error at 99% but each.time I've done mine it worked perfectly.

Good luck.

6. DGalt

Is there any way to tell I'm in the bootloader? Again, can't see anything on the screen

7. Titaniac

Obviously not by looking at the screen, so the only way that I know of is if RSDLite tells you that the device is connected.

8. shrink57

One other last ditch attempt if all else fails. Try taking out the SD card and restart the phone without it. See if it is able to boot. Then reinsert the card.

9. Titaniac

Dumb question: Have you tried a battery pull, etc?

10. DGalt

I did pull the battery, didn't do anything.

RSD is running now (so it did see my phone, which is important in terms of whether or not the phone is at least pseudo-functioning). How do I know if it fails? Right now progress says "Executed 99%" and result says "in process..."

I'll try that next.

11. Titaniac

Ok. Give it a while and then finally, you may have to pull the plug and plug it back in again. This will usually force it to reboot.

Going to a Baseball game... I'll try to keep in touch.

12. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Even when RSD Lite fails or gives some error it usually has worked, as weird as that may sound...

13. DGalt

it's failed 4 times in a row now :cool:

and nothing has changed in terms of functionality. screen still blank. this is all very odd lol.

14. Titaniac

That's true... its even worked when it quit on me at 98% which had me really worried. When it has failed on me before it quit at 99, but that time.... I just reloaded the sdb again and kept on trucking...

15. Titaniac

Well.I can assure you that its back at 2.01 stock. I'd leave it alone and wait for your replacement. They wont be able to tell it was rooted.

16. shrink57

They are not going to do a full forensic analysis. They will see it does not boot and throw it in the soon to be refurbed or trash pile.

17. DGalt

Well I don't know. Also tried popping out the SD card, no change.

Guess I'll just be waiting till Wednesday when the new (i.e. refurbished) one should be here.

18. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Your good I'm sure of it. 4 flashes with RSD Lite and your definitely on 2.0.1 stock. Keep your sd card if the new phone doesn't come with one.

19. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

Shine a flashlight on your screen. It seems as if your backlight has died if you know it is on.