Any Worry About Being an Early Adopter?

Last Updated:

1. jonorjonathan

jonorjonathan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This will be the first gadget that I wait in line for and purchase early. I feel somewhat confident that it wont have too many problems because in a lot of ways the evo is an evolution (excuse my pun) of gadgets that have already been around. The casing itself is very similar to the HD2 which hasn't had any wide-spread problems from what i've heard and sense ui has definitely reached a level of adolescence (adole-sense? ha, sorry i'm bored.), however there are a lot of new factors that could create unexpected problems for this phone... especially if they're rushing to get it out quickly.

so my question is this, is anyone else a little nervous about being an early adopter for this phone and problems that could come along with that?

Advertisement
  2. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

There is always a risk but thankfully you can always return it within 30 days so the risk is fairly low. In a lot of ways this is a pretty typical Android phone as far as the new gen goes. The main differences will be with handling of the 4G radio. Everything else is pretty incremental compared to a Hero or a Nexus One. Slightly larger screen, slightly more RAM, slightly better camera sensor, etc.

As long as they manage the radios well I can't see myself having any issues with this phone.

3. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

No I am not. The hardware is very similar to the HD2 and Android has been around the block, I don't even consider it an early adopter besides the 4G portion.

4. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

Exactly. The HD2 has been out for a year and Android has been out for ~3 years. I'm not really concerned.

5. neodorian

Wha?! The G1 came out a year and a half ago in October, 2008. :eek:

6. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

dev phones in 2007 for android, i believe that is what he is refering to, not a public OS till G1 though

neodorian likes this.
  7. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

You got it! Android started in 2007.

8. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

The hardware should be final build so I doubt there will be any changes to the device itself needed, now that said most early adaptation problems users run into are software problems (drivers.OS,ROM builds etc...) which are upgradable via software updates so as far as getting a lemon that can't be fixed your pretty safe.

9. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

My fiance is shocked that I'm buying the "first gen" of anything since I'm a firm believer in letting others be the guinea pigs on new technology, but I'm with the other folks here - this isn't really "new" other than the 4G. And while I am lucky enough to live and work in a 4G zone, 3G will still be there if it does take a while to get the bugs worked out. Between the 30 day trial period and HTC's rep for producing pretty darn good Android phones, there's not much of a risk.

10. keatre

keatre Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else in that we should be fairly safe, unless some unknown thing pops up out of nowhere (kinda like N1's screen "issue" - although doubtful since HD2 has been out for awhile).

But I completely know where your coming from. I was one of the first in the Sprint store to grab my Touch Pro on it's release back in the day -- big mistake, and I would say worst phone purchase I've made.

But as with the EVO, I think we're safe..

11. neodorian

I traded my Mogul for a Touch Pro (Asurion replacement) and never had a problem with it. It was a pretty decent phone in its day but I still moved on when the Pre came out. I was more ready to try a new OS than I was sick of the Touch Pro.

12. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

im not worried. they have been working on this phone for almost 2 years. i doubt there will be any major problems

13. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

I agree with the others here. It is not a new OS, the hardware and design have similarities to other HTC released devices. I think every phone has its issues and I'm sure there will be some of some sort with the EVO but don't foresee anything major.

14. Lovingthesonic

Lovingthesonic Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I bought the G1 on release day in October 08. The only thing I missed out on was the headphone adapater.

15. JustFrozen

JustFrozen Well-Known Member

I think HTC has proven themselves enough already, and besides that, the specs on this beauty are worth the risk

16. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

The only real worry I can forsee is how 4g handshakes off to 3g and vice versa. For my data card it isn't seamless. I have to reconnect to one or the other when the one drops. Will be interesting to see how they solve this in a phone.

17. treefq

treefq Active Member

Sprint fixed a lot of issues with the Hero. That was early adoption. I am pretty sure the EVO will be ok. As long as we get simultaneous voice and Data.

18. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

If we do get it, it will only be in 4G markets.

19. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

i STILL think that's a pointless feature that i will never use. i think alot of people want it just to say they CAN use it, but won't ever use it very much at all.

20. keri2000

keri2000 Active Member

I am very comfortable purchasing the Evo on release day. This is coming from someone who has had nothing but a terrible experience with the Pre. I think WebOS is a good OS now after several updates but was not ready at launch and let's not talk about the awful hardware. For them to have released both poor hardware with an unrefined OS was not a good idea. I will not be a smartphone beta tester again but I really don't consider the Evo a first gen phone. I have had several HTC phones and Android has been around long enough and had plenty of updates for the OS to be pretty good now. What I won't do is get a WP7 until it has been out for at least 8-12 months.

21. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Like neo said, with every first generation product, there may be issues, but I am willing to take that chance to get the first 4G WiMax phone. Shoot the Sprint Hero I got on day one, after having it for a while now is now only giving me problems with the calls going to voice mail, but I read that snot only the Hero but other phones as well. Do I attribute it to first generation maybe, but it comes with the territory of being first and getting the first one.

TS

22. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

ipurchased my g1 on launch day and same with my droid. havent had any problems with either devices. anyone in the ma/new england area planning on buying on launch morning? if so we should hit up the same stores, i did this with my droid and met some cool android users including this 58 year old guy who had a audi r8 and got to sit in it while i gave him some pointers.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

23. treefq

treefq Active Member

I plan on using the hotspot feature. And would also like to take/make phone calls at the same time. It may be pointless for you but I sure would hate to tell eveyone to "hold on while I call..."

24. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

25. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

its being tested