• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody 100% Happy? (2.1)

Oh good,its not just me..I agree with the lag on the keyboard..Its soo slow,it makes it impossible to even compose a short text message..The text just cant keep up.The update fixed somethings that werent working but in place of that made other things stop working.Annoying!I hope they come up with something that can fix this..SOON!

I'm still on 1.5 and I think turning off keystroke sound and vibration makes a big difference on keyboard speed. I really liked the vibration but after turning it off I have no lag at all (using Handcent). So its worth trying for 2.1

Upvote 0
Most of the posts on this thread seem to be very unhappy with 2.1 I don't get it, but for the things I use, it is a big improvement. The one big area of concern I have is that HTC SYNC (new version 2.0.33) still does not work properly, although they seem to have fixed the duplicate date problem with new events.

The most important improvement for me is a major improvement in battery usage. Perhaps there was something wrong with my 1.5 that wasn't the case for others. My battery would drain in a few hours even without much usage. I took it into Sprint and they said the battery tested fine. I was careful about running tasks and I always had GPS, Bluetooth and WIFI turned off when I wasn't using them. Since installing 2.1 on 5/19, the battery drain problem went away.

I'm using a Plantronics Voyager Pro headset with no pairing or connection problems whatsoever.

All that said, I have not used or tested many of the functions that people are complaining about. The apparent increased speed of operation and much improved battery performance made me happy though.

Try typing an email or text messaging in landscape mode, and than see how you feel about this great update!

I'm still on 1.5 and I think turning off keystroke sound and vibration makes a big difference on keyboard speed. I really liked the vibration but after turning it off I have no lag at all (using Handcent). So its worth trying for 2.1

Trust me, even with all of that off, the keyboard lags like a bitch!

Upvote 0
hahaha... ok so here's something interesting.

My battery life on 1.5 was awesome! I tweaked the hell out of it and got consistent 15+ hours if needed with regular use.

On 2.1, this morning I noticed that I used 20% battery in one hour (stock battery) while browsing web and using market, installed 1 app. Then I put phone down and didn't touch it except to check battery every hour. It took almost 4 hours to burn another 20%, which surprised me.

So... it would seem, if the phone isn't doing anything, it tends to handle down time better with respect to conserving battery power. While in use, well now, that's another story. ;) I have since tweaked a few settings mentioned here and elsewhere.

Two other things to note:
1. Interestingly, the web browser reset my Homepage back to Sprint's... ??? Lol, anyone else experience this after changing Homepage?
2. The Camera is LAGGY as hell now in 2.1, couldn't get a picture last night that wasn't blurry. I tried a multitude of setting changes to get a better response, i.e., ISO, Quality, Size, etc., with no luck.

Other than that, I have no other lag issues.

Happy Trails!
:cool:

P.S. - if you want to see some really cool information on the battery, use the service menu... First, please, don't change ANYTHING that you do NOT know what you are doing as ONLY YOU WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE for any problems thereafter.

Goto your phone dialer and type in...
*#*#4636#*#*
wait a few seconds for menu to show up.
then check out battery history and usage statistics is good too.

;)
Enjoy!

Upvote 0
hahaha... ok so here's something interesting.

My battery life on 1.5 was awesome! I tweaked the hell out of it and got consistent 15+ hours if needed with regular use.

On 2.1, this morning I noticed that I used 20% battery in one hour (stock battery) while browsing web and using market, installed 1 app. Then I put phone down and didn't touch it except to check battery every hour. It took almost 4 hours to burn another 20%, which surprised me.

So... it would seem, if the phone isn't doing anything, it tends to handle down time better with respect to conserving battery power. While in use, well now, that's another story. ;) I have since tweaked a few settings mentioned here and elsewhere.

Two other things to note:
1. Interestingly, the web browser reset my Homepage back to Sprint's... ??? Lol, anyone else experience this after changing Homepage?
2. The Camera is LAGGY as hell now in 2.1, couldn't get a picture last night that wasn't blurry. I tried a multitude of setting changes to get a better response, i.e., ISO, Quality, Size, etc., with no luck.

Other than that, I have no other lag issues.

Happy Trails!
:cool:

P.S. - if you want to see some really cool information on the battery, use the service menu... First, please, don't change ANYTHING that you do NOT know what you are doing as ONLY YOU WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE for any problems thereafter.

Goto your phone dialer and type in...
*#*#4636#*#*
wait a few seconds for menu to show up.
then check out battery history and usage statistics is good too.

;)
Enjoy!

I think what the new OS does is it kills your mobile network connection when the phone goes to sleep. This seems to be a newer feature in 2.1.

Upvote 0
My battery life is so much better under 2.1. To quantify:

At the exact same place, at the exact same time on Wednesday, I leave my phone in my car for 5 hours. Under 1.5, when I would get back, I would have between 70 and 75% battery remaining. Under 2.1, I now have 95 or higher remaining.

Similar numbers apply in daily use. With 1.5 I had to be careful or I couldn't get a full day's use out of the Hero. With 2.1, I have yet to get below 40%. It's just that much better for me.

I don't use the Hero keyboard full-time (I use Swype), but I did enable it to see if it lagged. It does not on my Hero. Not one bit.

YMMV

jd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones