Anybody else considering getting rid of thier laptop and just use thier EVO?

Last Updated:

1. AlwayzRight

AlwayzRight Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am seriousl considering getting rid of thier laptop? I never use it anymore and literally just use my EVO. I may sell it. Anyone else?

Advertisement
  2. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

Not even close. *hugs Lenovo X200*

3. denise1768

denise1768 Well-Known Member

No way

4. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

I can't get rid of mine either. There is no way any smart phone is advanced enough to replace my mobile workstation. It would be sweet if they were.

5. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

The Evo is an excellent phone that does a lot of other things well, but I don't find any of its other functions to be as good or better than any of my dedicated devices. This includes, but is not limited to:

1. Gaming
    2. Web browsing
    3. Camera
    4. Camcorder
    5. TV/Video source
    6. E-Mailing
    7. Media center

The fact that I can do these things on the fly is awesome, even better when you consider how well it does them. A laptop replacement, though, it is not.

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Oh god, this is worse than people calling iPad a laptop replacement...

(no no no no no no:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused:)

7. One Beast

One Beast Well-Known Member

Umm no this phone is not quite at that level yet...IF you just use your Laptop for web Browsing and have the HDMI cable to connect your Phone to ur TV...But anything more then that..it wouldnt be a smart move.....and besides How am i supposed to root my phone without a PC:cool:

8. One Beast

One Beast Well-Known Member

The only reason im considering getting a ipad is because of my EVO.... Being that i have free WiFi Tether anywhere i go having a Internet Device with a 9.7 LED display would be great...Cause my Netbook is god Awful slow......Atom Processors FTL (For the Lose)

9. supaumar

supaumar Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

10. sdezrilov

sdezrilov Well-Known Member

I got an iPad to replace my laptop; still have a powerful desktop for when I need it, but now find that I don't use the iPad at all. The evo does so much more than the iPad, actually getting pissed I even bought the iPad. Love the evo; have movies on it for when traveling on planes, I do travel a lot, and can now get away without taking a laptop on trips.

11. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Damn you are always right AlwayzRight (bah dump ching! ;))

I have a Nexus One and the second I can get a bluetooth keyboard to use with it I will dump my netbook in a heartbeat!

You a wise one AlwayzRight :)

12. whtge8

whtge8 Well-Known Member

Word. Imagine trying to type out a research paper on the EVO keyboard. I would kill myself. :eek:

13. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

You just gotta become a developer and create an app to use a bluetooth keyboard with your Evo. Cmon... dont be lazy! ;)

14. bossxii

bossxii Well-Known Member

Do it!

15. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

The EVO is amazing, but dont think it could replace a laptop. However, I do think the EVO could replace a tablet.

16. EvoLeo

EvoLeo Member

I think that would have happened to my wife also, If I got her an ipad. It would have just became my 2 year old's new toy or paper weight. Luckily, I convinced her into getting an Evo and she loves it. But back to considering about the Evo replacing my laptop. I wouldn't consider it happening anytime soon. Honestly, my laptop usage is less now but there are still certain things I use it for.

17. fonseca898

fonseca898 Well-Known Member

No way. But I definitely love tethering my laptop through the Evo anywhere I go.

18. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

When I'm out, I got my Evo. At home, my laptop is where I do all my online business, simply because it's easier to do so, than the evo. Plus, tapatalk has been disallowed in the forums.

19. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Thank God. I couldn't stand that stupid tapatalk signature every... single... time... :mad:

20. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

No way.

21. MrX8503

MrX8503 Well-Known Member

Not even close.

Even if 10 years has passed, I would say smartphones would barely replace laptops.

22. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. I said that I DO NOT think it is a replacement for dedicated devices. What is so bad about that?

23. gezzuzz

gezzuzz Well-Known Member

hummm.. maybe if i had 4 laptops i use daily i might give one up... but i only have 3.. so NO!..

24. sonicwind

sonicwind Active Member

LOL, I couldn't even imagine. It would be interesting to know just exactly what you do with your laptop. Evidently not:
    Watching HULU or any movie.
    Doing any video converting.
    Writing any documents other than typical email length.
    Any kind of graphics work, photo editing, etc.
    Any kind of PC gaming
    torrent downloading
    watching TV, recording TV
    what about just simply storing your master copies of photos, music and video?
    how do you sync that stuff to your phone when you want it?

That basically leaves:
    Email
    Web browsing
    Games
    listening to music
    reading documents, books

That's just the short list that took me 30 seconds to come up with. It also assumes you're not keeping a desktop around, so maybe that's the missing data. I could totally see that, though personally I couldn't make it on even the shortest out of town trip without a laptop. Although I've got 4 1 day flights coming up that I might try it on (I doubt it, though, nah.)

I excluded software development because that's less of a common thing for a computer user to do, but the other things I listed that you can't reasonably do on a cell phone are pretty common.

25. sonicwind

sonicwind Active Member

If they had built in projectors of good quality and projected laser keyboards, then I could consider it. Those are actual reasonable things that could be available. What would stop it is that current software, the software that is current at any moment, demands a more powerful set of hardware than would fit in a phone. I'm quite sure that mobile phones in 10 years will be more powerful processor-wise than a typical laptop today. But Microsoft is so inefficient at writing software and so dedicated to make each progressive version significantly slower than the last that Windows 9 would take 2 days to boot, and forget actually starting notepad. Maybe Linux with a lighter weight shell or OSX, but will there still be such an utter lack of quality programs targeted for those platforms by then? Ha ha, just kidding, guys. Like anyone will be still using Microsux in 10 years. Maybe in 3rd world countries. Wait, the US will probably be a 3rd world country. Oh crap.