• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody else loving/hating their naked/bare Eris?

I love the feel and sleek look of the naked eris but got the clear 2pc snap together shell from vzw to provide some stand off space for the camera lens glass on the back shell. I was getting scratches from placing it down. The shell provides some stand off space when i set phone down so as not to scratch the glass in front of the lens. Major design flaw in my opinion not to have the bezel around the glass be thicker to protect the glass. I am hoping the modified case for the Seidio extended battery will solve this standoff problem as it has for other models.

Ok had the phone for a few months now and I tossed the clear shell and have just a skinomi screen protector. I hated the extra bulk and the glossy feel of the shell. My feelings are that HTC has made an incredible back case to this phone, which can be easily replaced if it gets major drop damage. I tried zagg invisible shield but did not like the tacky feel on my touch screen. The skinomi is smooth to the touch, although it has a bit more of an edge to it and is not as precise of a fit (inset on all edges just a tad) as the zagg skin. The skinomi seems to do a great job at scratch resistance though and cleans up with a simple wipe. BTW i also got the siedio extended batt and love it. %50 left at the end of the day w original case back.

Bottom line. HTC did an amazing job designing this phone and other than the camera lens still needing a bit more inset to protect the outer case glass of the camera i am leaving it as is with some minor screen protection.

Upvote 0
Overall, I think this ClearTouch Anti-Glare screen protector feels quite durable and was easy to apply, but I don't think I can live with the significantly degraded picture quality. I'm going to bite the bullet, consider my first $13 spent a loss, and spend another $13 to get the Crystal version, which I've read is not noticeable at all when installed.

I got back from vacation yesterday and switched out my Boxwave ClearTouch Anti-Glare screen protector with the Crystal version. Boxwave agreed to treat my purchase of the Crystal protector as an exchange and refund me the purchase price when I send back the Anti-Glare protector.

Removal of the old screen protector was quick and simple. Just use scotch tape to lift an edge and the screen protector comes off easily without leaving anything behind. I installed the Crystal screen protector using the same method as before (the Crystal version comes with a temporary covering on both sides of the protector whereas the Anti-Glare version has a covering on the adhesive side only). There were a few wet areas left under the screen protector after installation, but these dried out overnight.

The Crystal protector really is crystal clear, with no detectable degradation to picture quality. The only things I notice visually are that the grid-patterned dots covering the screen are more noticeable now, and the one deep nick that I had from the naked Eris is visable once again. The haziness of the Anti-Glare hid the nick. The light scratches are hidden with both the Anti-Glare and Crystal. Finger prints are more abundant and harder to wipe off on the Crystal. They're much less noticeable on the hazy Anti-Glare screen and easier to wipe off on both the naked and Anti-Glare screens.

Touch feel is a bit worse sliding a finger across the Crystal screen, but it's barely different from the naked screen. The Anti-Glare screen was actually smoother than the naked screen.

All in all, I'm much happier with the Boxwave Cleartouch Crystal screen protector. The tradeoff of harder to wipe fingerprints versus a hazy screen is worth it to me.

Upvote 0
I've had my Eris for about 3 weeks now and I'm still debating screen cover vs. naked. I've read about a lot of people who have screen covers and liked them, but I haven't heard much from the naked supporters.

So far the screen gets smudges from fingers and cheeks, but a quick wipedown on my shirt or pants does the trick every time. I don't really see the need for a screen cover, and it seems pretty durable anyway. Has anybody done a scratch test or anything?

I debated getting a case or screen protector when I got my Eris about three weeks ago and I've decided to go naked and I love it. The phone itself is almost scratch proof on the back and I don't mind the smudges on the screen to be honest. I like the bare naked Eris for now. I'm sure I might feel differently if I were to scratch the screen or something, though. However, I'm careful with my gadgets and I take care of them so I don't know how much of an issue damaging my Eris will be. I rarely, if ever drops my phones.

Upvote 0
I recently bought the Verizon black case for my Droid Eris and I love it. The feel is great. It's not rubbery so it doesn't stick to the fabric in my pocket (doesn't stick to my pocket).

While it is a great case, it also isn't very durable. I have dropped my phone about four times and the case popped right of 3/4 times.

BUT, the phone looks a LOT better when it doesn't have a case on. And it's MUCH sleeker and stylish when it's not on.

All in all, it's a great phone, very comfortable, not to big, not to small. Just about perfect. :)

Upvote 0
got a case and cover for screen. guess what, good thing I did because I dropped my phone onto the pavement and the screen protector has scratches. better those cheap accessories than the actual phone getting the damage. I'll be selling my phone in about a year to get the next latest greatest so to me a cleaner phone is worth more money.

Upvote 0
After having a iPhone for a couple of years. Naked is the best, but I recently had the iphone 3Gs and I finally dropped it about 3 feet from the ground. The back casing cracked. Now that I have the Droid Eris I bought a case because I do not want that to happen again. It only takes one instance to ruin your phone.

As for the screen, I do not protect it because the touch is not as responsive with a screen protector.

Upvote 0
Best solution I have found for the fingerprint issue is to just wash your hands before using the touch screen. ;-p

maybe it's my fingers, but even right after washing them with soap and water and drying them thoroughly and even rubbing them on paper or something, i still get a nice print or mark if i touch the screen. drives me crazy. i just don't understand how that's possible.

Upvote 0
NEWS FLASH!
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to have a screen protector on your phone unless you are actively around diamonds, tungsten, or any such other things that scratch tempered glass.

^ this.

I owned an iPhone 3G before this and it was always a fun parlor trick to take a knife to the screen and watch people cringe.

I accidentally tossed that phone onto asphalt from 4 feet up and while the back plastic did crack, the screen remained flawless (it bounced and landed on the screen, sliding a good foot and a half)

When I got my Eris, the first thing I did was take a knife to the corner of the screen to see if it'd scratch much...to my relief, the screen seemed to be made of the same material as the iPhone's, and honestly in this day and age tempered glass screens should be the de facto standard.

Upvote 0
NEWS FLASH!
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to have a screen protector on your phone unless you are actively around diamonds, tungsten, or any such other things that scratch tempered glass.

And it takes a lot.

Don't believe me?
Well, I did a scratch test for all of you, considering no one seems to have made a video for the Eris yet.

YouTube - Droid Eris Scratch/Drop Test

you're crazy, but i enjoyed watching your video and thank you for making it. tempered glass just isn't that strong. much much stronger than plastic in terms of scratch resistance, but by no means scratch-proof or even close. you may be confused with sapphire, which is extremely scratch resistant. but can still be scratched. tons of people on this forum alone who've managed to scratch their screens with little effort. and many have scratched the 'gorilla glass' of the Moto Droid. i tend to think the people who think their screens are virtually scratch-proof are the ones with bad vision or who spend most of their time in a poorly lit environment and never clean their screens. keep doing this test to your screen and then take a close look at it in bright light at different angles after cleaning it off thoroughly. you'll probably notice a lot of hairline marks at least. those kind of scratches might not bother some but they bother me. i'm not just bothered by major gouges but minor scuffs and scrapes. tempered glass will pick these up pretty easily over time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones