Anybody feel like helping an idiot root his eris?

Last Updated:

1. no-idea

no-idea Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

im having problems. im on 2.1ota and i want to root. im on a mac but also have a win. xp laptop.

i cant get passed the sdk setup (sad i know.) i downloaded the sdk but i cant open it or add 2.1 platform.

so... anybody want to help me out?

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

3. BigBeefy

BigBeefy Well-Known Member

no-idea likes this.
  4. no-idea

i really appreciate the help guys. big beefy, did you download the PB00IMG.ZIP straight to your phone? will that put it on my sd card?

i downloaded the sdk for mac, but i cant open it. "To start the SDK Manager, please execute the program "tools/android"." when i try to open it is says "Unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable." soo idk about that.

5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

When you download the Mac version, it download a zip file called android-sdk_r06-mac_86.zip. If you have Safari set up to automatically open safe attachments, it should automatically unzip the files into a folder called "android-sdk-mac_86", probably in your Downloads folder.

What I did was drag that folder out to my home directory, but you can even drop it in your desktop. If you double-click that folder, you should see three folders - "add-ons", "platforms", "tools", as well as a file called "SDK Readme.txt". If you see all of this, you have installed the SDK. It's that simple.

6. no-idea

hi doogald! ya i got that, whats the next step?

7. no-idea

i cant get the sdk manager to "start"

8. no-idea

man im so lost. sorry about all this guys, this is bad even for me lol.

9. no-idea

i downloaded the PB00IMG.ZIP to my computer. how do i get it on my sd card. i hooked the card up to the computer with a card reader but i dont see it, same if i hook the phone up to computer.

10. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You don't have to. Your next step is this:

With a Mac, by the way, if you follow the instructions in this:
    http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

After you have that SDK folder, you only need to do these:

After you do this, your phone will ask if you want to mount the SD card. Choose not to - you want to charge only. Just connect it and do not mount the SD Card as a device to the Mac.

Ok, and explanation. You need to open the Mac application Terminal. This will open a window that has a prompt with the name of your Mac, with the folder, ending with a $.

Assuming that you moved that SDK folder to your desktop, type "cd desktop" and press return. The prompt should change to something like:

computer-name:desktop username$

From here, start typing "cd andr". Then press tab. It should fill out the rest of the folder name; press enter.

From here, type "cd tools" then return. The prompt should be

computer-name:tools username$

If so, and assuming the Eris is still attached, you can then

You can then type "exit" and then return to get out of ADB shell mode. You are then ready to try to root.

11. no-idea

this is what i get when i try "./adb shell" "-bash: ./adb: cannot execute binary file"

12. no-idea

i know i know..., if i cant get past the 1st step i should probably not even be messing with this stuff but i just want my phone to work....

13. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You should first make sure that it is the right file by checking for the MD5 hash. Reading my post above about the terminal, start the terminal. Just to make things easier, drag the PB00IMG.zip file that you downloaded to the desktop again. From the terminal prompt, type:

cd ~/Desktop

(Always hit enter unless somebody explains otherwise when you enter commands into a terminal window.)

Now, type the following command:

openssl md5 PB00IMG.zip

After a few seconds, it should spit out That should give exactly this:

MD5(pb00img.zip)= 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94

If it does, you have the right root file.

On your phone, with it connected by USB to your computer, you should have a notification on the phone that deals with USB. Hit that notification, and it will ask if you want to mount or not mount. If you remember from the SDK post above, you chose not to mount. This time you will choose mount, and, after a few seconds, you will see a device in the left hand column of the Finder on the Mac that is a disk drive (probably called NO NAME). You can drag the PB000IMG.zip file to the top level folder of that drive. After the file is done copying, wait about ten seconds, click the little eject symbol next to "NO NAME" in the finder (or, Ctrl-Click on NO NAME and choose "Eject" from the pop-up menu). After that is done, on the phone, pull down the notification bar and, from there, choose to disconnect USB storage. It should "prepare the SD card for mount" or something like that. At that point, you have the root image on the SD card and you should be ready to proceed. (But only after you have confirmed all of the steps in the SDK post I made above.)

14. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

From the prompt, enter

LS

It should give a list of the files in that folder; do you see "adb" in that list?

15. Busphan

Busphan Member

When I went through this process all I had to type in the command box is adb shell. Nothing else.

16. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

By the way, I hope you have some patience; I am leaving at about 5:00 this afternoon and will not be back to check on things until after 8:00 (although I think that there are others who can guide you.)

17. no-idea

ok i got PB00IMG.zip on the sd card, did the power off/ volumedown plus power and it did its thing. now it says
    hboot

parsing. . .(sd zip)
    (1) userdata
    (2) system
    (3) recovery
    (4) radio_v2
    (5) boot
    (6) bootloader

do you want to start update?

am i on the right track to doing this without sdk?

18. no-idea

LOL im trying...

19. BigBeefy

Sorry for missing the question, I did not download the PM00IMG.zip file to my phone. I put it on my computer.
    BUT I did mount my SD card once to put the PM00IMG.zip file onto my card, then unmounted it.

20. BigBeefy

yes, you are on the right track, start the update.

21. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

To be honest, I'd be more comfortable knowing that, first, you have USB debugging turned on with the phone, and second, that you actually figured out how to use adb to communicate.

Just to ask the obvious questions, did you ever find that folder called "android-sdk-mac_86" on your system?

22. no-idea

ok got it!

Last login: Thu Jun 10 13:12:25 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    sean-meyers-ibook-g4:~ seanmeyers$ cd
    sean-meyers-ibook-g4:~ seanmeyers$ cd desktop
    sean-meyers-ibook-g4:~/desktop seanmeyers$ openssl md5 PB00IMG.zip
    MD5(PB00IMG.zip)= 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94
    sean-meyers-ibook-g4:~/desktop seanmeyers$

23. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Ok, to be honest, I think that you had better proceed with the SDK install on Windows XP. Based on your prompt, it looks like your Mac is an iBook G4, which does not have an Intel processor. The Mac version of the SDK, according to Google, only works with a Mac with an Intel processor (so that would be a Macbook, Macbook Pro, or an iMac or Mac Mini made since 2006.)

You're going to have to follow the instructions for installing the SDK on a Windows computer. XP should be fine; I understand that people with 64 bit Windows 7 have some problems.

[edit later]: That said, you have the proper root image on your SD card, so that's one thing checked off.

24. BigBeefy

it seems to be working for him. he is able to use the commands to find his md5 hash correctly.

25. no-idea

no i do not see "adb" in that list