Anybody have the i1 through Sprint/Nextel?Support

Last Updated:

1. nemesys06

nemesys06 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have read a few threads on here about the Motorola i1, and have heard the main complaint being only on the iDEN network. I have seen that sprint/nextel have theirs out now, and according to the dealers the i1 says it is 3G compatible. I was wondering if anybody here has the i1 through sprint/nextel, and how it works on 3G. my dad is interested in this phone. he seen my android phone, the samsung vibrant... and now wants an android phone himself. i know it only runs 1.5. but it doesn't matter to him. he just wants to know how the phone works, and how well it works on a 3g network!

Advertisement
  2. iiTTTGii

iiTTTGii Well-Known Member

pretty sure that's their way of saying it can be connected to wifi. both phones sprintnextel/boostmobile are on the iDEN network

Phones hardware wise are identical sprint and boost just added pre-loaded features that make them unique from each other.

If you hear anymore on this I would appreciate feedback as well.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Member

I thought it was just their way of saying that they don't know what they're talking about. They'll say anything to get your money. I doubt you'll find the "3G" claim in any printed material from Sprint/Nextel.

4. iiTTTGii

iiTTTGii Well-Known Member

Ya very true they really don't know what they are doing. =>

5. myke2

myke2 New Member

It's pretty clear that the i1 is not a 3G phone. It has two ways it connects, through the iden network at half the speed of a dial up connection " 26.5 K " and wifi hot spots.

6. flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

If you don't need the Push to Talk, this may not be the phone for you. But is a great phone with nextel/sprint own set of limitations. But every service has its own built in limitations

7. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

It's been said, but I will try to clarify. Through NO FAULT of the phone it cannot handle many of the things we like to do with high end smartphones. Because of the data speeds on the iDen network, unless you are using wifi the phone will not stream video or music. Browsing the web will be significantly slower. The carriers are aware of this and included Opera Mini to help the browsing experience.

That said, iDen push to talk users who find PTT a necessary part of their phone might be very pleased with it. It is more rugged than other Android phones, PTT works fine, and things like email and text messaging, and less data intensive apps will work just fine. The phone blows away the only other iDen smartphone worth mentioning-- the BB 8350i.

8. Bomix

Bomix Well-Known Member

yeah no 3G, So much better then the BB8350i, what a world of difference.