• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody leave Verizon for Sprint?

Have had issues with Sprint - SMS sometimes can take over a hour to reach recipient and at least once recently almost a day although usually fairly quick. My Airave went bad, and they said over week ago that they are sending a new one - haven't received it yest. Thinking of going to Verizon....

Another issue I was having with Sprint, prior to leaving for T-Mobile. And if there's anybody you know that has T-Mobile, and can test out coverage at your house, if you have a minimum of 2G or 3G signal (even if spotty), their Cellspot will give you 4G throughout your home! I didn't believe it would be that good, until I connected it. Connects to a router just like the Airrave (or you can get the one the combo Asus router/Cellspot, which will do the same thing).

And to give you a little more feedback on how my T-Mobile signal was w/o the Cellspot, it would jump from HSPA/2G to 3G to 4G to no signal and just cycle like that...extremely spotty. That was actually the only reason I had stuck with Sprint for so long, but once I took a chance on T-Mobile based on the Cellspot reviews I had read...I'm so happy I took that leap of faith.

Upvote 0
not sure I understand...
** I hate Sprint.. their service sucks in MOST places. They need to fix this ASAP.

if you use a device to connect to a home WIFI.. to help boost a Cell service..
once you connect to the device. are you not using your home WIFI for data and calls??
which in itself.. better than 4G speeds?

Upvote 0
not sure I understand...
** I hate Sprint.. their service sucks in MOST places. They need to fix this ASAP.

if you use a device to connect to a home WIFI.. to help boost a Cell service..
once you connect to the device. are you not using your home WIFI for data and calls??
which in itself.. better than 4G speeds?

The T-Mobile cell spot allows for both, either the built in wi-fi calling or cell calling (you can indicate which you prefer in the settings of t-mobile branded devices). What this does is prevent from any roaming, which also helps for battery drain. It also helps for retrieval of sms text messages. And, from the way I understand it, wi-fi calling doesn't necessarily activate for calls being able to connect through to a device. It only activates when actually on a call or going to place a call. The cell spot helps boost the signal, so it prevents incoming calls from going straight to voicemail or people not being able to text you, due to signal strength issues on your end.

Upvote 0
Yep, a Sprint Airave uses your home internet connection for calls and data.

Some peoples home internet will be faster then 4G, but there are homes with slower 1 - 5Mbps internet.

Airave doesn't work anywhere near as well as T-Mobile's cellspot. And despite what they say, it does not boost data connectivity. I have a 300mbps internet plan through Time Warner Cable. My wifi, based on my router setup, can get anywhere from 150-200mbps, depending on network traffic, and never lower than 100mbps. In all the years I used Airave, from the original generation to the current version, it has never even come close to boosting my cell signal to consistent 4g. And the connectivity rate, for cell signal, would always jump in and out (even when the router was working perfectly well). The airrave only worked its best when actually on a call, but I still had tons of times where I missed calls or text messages, only to find out later wheren all of a sudden, I'd get a few voicemails and text messages.

Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones