• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody looking at moving to the G2?

Actually, for some of us, moving on to a new phone makes it easier to develop for the old one. My Spec is my daily driver. Once my Spec is no longer my daily driver, I can finally go hog wild with some of my theories that may perma break my phone. TDM has been running a Nexus4 as his primary for a while now, but still rocks out ROMs for the Spec and the Nitro, he just has no data plan on the Spec.

Upvote 0
Actually, for some of us, moving on to a new phone makes it easier to develop for the old one. My Spec is my daily driver. Once my Spec is no longer my daily driver, I can finally go hog wild with some of my theories that may perma break my phone. TDM has been running a Nexus4 as his primary for a while now, but still rocks out ROMs for the Spec and the Nitro, he just has no data plan on the Spec.

Yeah, actually that makes sense, guess I jumped the gun. With new phones, less chance of screwing up the daily driver; maybe I can take more chances with this one as well......(ha ha ha!)

Someday I really want to take a crack at tearing apart these stock roms the providers throw at us. I have a long way to go, but with the overwhelming availability of free apps out there for android, I think it is worthwhile. Having a phone to work on without having to freak out if I fry it would be great.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
@Ortrigger: thats partially why I was curious...

@Hollywoods: Thanks for the info. Where I live I have great signal too, but on some of the jobsites I go to I am struggling for 1-2 bars while my brothers razr maxx has 4 bars, so I know the signal could be better. I'll have to see if I can find out... if LG has learned to design better antennas.

Upvote 0
@Ortrigger: thats partially why I was curious...

@Hollywoods: Thanks for the info. Where I live I have great signal too, but on some of the jobsites I go to I am struggling for 1-2 bars while my brothers razr maxx has 4 bars, so I know the signal could be better. I'll have to see if I can find out... if LG has learned to design better antennas.

Unfortunately I don't get off the beaten path to often. It seems like I constantly have more bars than my Spectrum, I'm going to say it's better. But really have no evidence to support it.

Reactions: reeseboy
Upvote 0
battery life is great, signal seems about the same maybe a little better than the spectrum. But battery compared to the spectrum. There is no comparison. Engaget even did a review on the new droid maxx and said in real world test the g2 out lasted the maxx. the g2 is easily the best phone out right now, and yes I know the note 3 is out now. The g2 is better imo because touchwiz is just that bad. Reviews are showing that the note 3 has lag issues just like the s4. Samsung better watch out or their reign on top may end just like blackberry.

Reactions: reeseboy
Upvote 0
Unfortunately I moved on the HTC One when Best Buy had that awesome $50 deal. I've always had issues with LG phones and the Spectrum was that last one and it left a sour taste in my mouth. My wife picked up the DNA a few months back and it was awesome and she would call me in the same house a few feet apart and my Spectrum would not ring or do anything, but the phone was on. I enjoyed reading the posts, and flashing all kinds of ROMs but when it's like an iPhone and you can't receive calls that's when it is time to move on. FWIW the One is awesome and the battery is amazing on it, 36 hours with low to moderate use and it was at 30%.

Upvote 0
Well my digitizer went haywire on Monday so I ended up moving to the G2. I must say it is an incredible phone, signal is decent and battery life is awesome! I would definitely recommend it... And roms are already appearing, including one from scrosler.

Welcome, you will forget you even owned the spectrum in a couple days. I'm almost a month in and am still amazed by this phone. Just got 84 hrs out of the battery with over 4 hours of screen on.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded to the G2. Waiting for it to be delivered. Talked to the right rep and got the upgrade four months early. Of course I got hit with a 30$ upgrade fee and was "forced" to get the extra 50$ bundle to process out(would of bought a case anyhow and new charger). Well worth it. Was about to cancel my line @ 75$ and get a new one if they did not upgrade me. Would of cost me more to cancel. Total out, 300$ for phone, case, charger, screen prot, and four months knocked off contract.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded to the G2. Waiting for it to be delivered. Talked to the right rep and got the upgrade four months early. Of course I got hit with a 30$ upgrade fee and was "forced" to get the extra 50$ bundle to process out(would of bought a case anyhow and new charger). Well worth it. Was about to cancel my line @ 75$ and get a new one if they did not upgrade me. Would of cost me more to cancel. Total out, 300$ for phone, case, charger, screen prot, and four months knocked off contract.
Good stuff! Welcome to the g2. It's great to see a lot of the spectrum crowd going to the g2.

Upvote 0
Glad to see all of you enjoying your new phones. I just recently switched over to T-Mobile and picked up the xperia z. It's not as new as the g2 but I'm really liking it. Incidentally, it's the first Android device that I haven't felt the urge to root within a week of getting it.

G2 was the same for me... Even with all the bloat its so smooth. I have since rooted, but only to debloat. Still stock recovery with stock rom.

Upvote 0
G2 was the same for me... Even with all the bloat its so smooth. I have since rooted, but only to debloat. Still stock recovery with stock rom.

Awesome! What surprised me about the Xperia Z is that it didn't really have much bloatware. And some of it ended up being installed in /data so I was able to uninstall it. What really blew my mind is that Sony built in a Backup & Restore app that allows you to back up all your apps and data as well as a power save setting that is really similar to greenify.

Upvote 0
for those worrying about developement for the g2...don't! Today we now have a pre-alpha build of cm10.1 out with working data, calling, wifi, and camera, and soon that will be in beta form, and we also have some guys working on cm10.2, and we also already have three or four stock based roms. Plus on top of that we have quite a few mods and tweaks that people have put together that are awesome as well. I'm now totally convinced that this phone is going ot be highly developed for. And now that we have cm10.1 mostly working, the other aosp based roms should be much easier to port over.

BTW This is all for the verizon version :D The others don't have CM yet :p

Upvote 0
Glad to see all of you enjoying your new phones. I just recently switched over to T-Mobile and picked up the xperia z. It's not as new as the g2 but I'm really liking it. Incidentally, it's the first Android device that I haven't felt the urge to root within a week of getting it.

man, i rooted and put recovery on my g2 the moment i got it home lol. But i'm still on the stock rom. you really should put TWRP on hollywood and flash g tweaks, it's really nice. I have removed the softkeys so now my g2 screen is ALL screen and no softkeys :p

I'm waiting for flash cm once it gets to beta form though. I'm ready for an aosp experience again and plus I have so many themes for the theme engine that it's nice being able to completely change the look of my phone when I want to

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones