anybody take the magnet outta their car dock?

Last Updated:

1. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Day 3 with my Droid and got a chance to use the car dock and all that entails...

Noticed the screen wouldn't turn off while docked, regardless of what mode/app is running , which slows charging unnecessarily when not using the GPS. I take a lot of 30 min drives and would like to gain Max charge while also keeping the phone neatly stowed.

So I tried running the navigation out of the dock and found the screen remained lit, but in, say, home mode, it would shut off. Obviously, the dock overrides the screen timer.

Removing the magnet from the dock is simple. This would enable me to stow the phone neatly and still gain Max charge and would only require me to manually run car mode. No biggie for me...

Am I missing a downside here?

(Update below, @ post #9)

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

You can push the screen lock/standby button while it's in the car dock. It's a bit fiddly but you can do it.

I think removing the magnet would be more of a pain than you think, and would ruin that automatic launching of car mode.

3. cggorman

For some reason my screen won't lock when I press the power button. Maybe due to the rom I'm running...

The magnet is behind the tabbed "door" that says Motorola. Very easy to access and remove.

4. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

yeah when i was using a different rom (droid mod) cardock would do some weird things so it is probably your rom

5. cggorman

So this is not typical screen behavior?

6. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Just use the app Dockblocker, no need to remove the magnet. It's just .99 in the Marketplace.

7. DrDiff

DrDiff Well-Known Member

I had tought about doing this. That way I could use the phone as a video camera while driving.

8. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

You can do that anyway. Just hit the home button then launch the camera app. Did it today just goofing around. Now I need to find something that can play the video on my laptop. Quicktime will play it, but the sound drops off after 30 seconds.

9. cggorman

Update: I completed the car dock mod. It works exactly as I expected (which is how I want it). The magnet removal is both easy AND reversible. The magnet cover simply snaps in and out. FYI, I suspect one could simply flip the magnet over and get the car dock to activate the clock/multimedia mode instead.

Nice neodymium magnet, BTW. Tiny. about 1/8" dia x 1/16" thick.

[​IMG]
    The magnet is behind the cover that says "motorola"

[​IMG]
    Two tabs on the right of this view need to be gently depressed with a small tool (I used a pocket knife)

[​IMG]
    Cover off. (magnet is already gone in these pics)

[​IMG]

That little cup is what holds the magnet. I pryed it out rather indelicately with my pocket knife...

10. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

Go to Settings: Applications: Development you can toggle on a Stay Awake option to keep the droid screen on while charging.
    If that is what you were trying to do.

11. cggorman

Nope. I wanted the opposite of that. The dock was forcing the screen on regardless of mode. ...not anymore...lol

12. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner. I've had the magnet removed from my car dock for months ... love it! It's quick, easy, and reversible. I use the home-replacement Sweeter Home and have a custom landscape cardock screen that totally rocks! I hate the stock cardock screen.

I do use the app Dock Simulator sometimes, which enables the DROID to act the old way. For instance, the phone app works better in cardock mode.