• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody thinking about moving to a Pixel?

If purchased from Google Play, the bootloader will be unlockable, so that's good
From what I've read on XDA, rooting the stock ROM may be harder (assuming it becomes doable in the first place). To me, the only reason I root is for adaway (those fake malware popups when browsing are super annoying). If I can figure out another way to block those ads while using Chrome, I can live without rooting.

But the cost is surprisingly high

Upvote 0
Currently it is priced out of my range for a cell phone. No I am not saying it's too high in general just saying that for me, I cannot justify spending $900 on a phone. Honestly it amazes me that they price phones so high just to charge high prices for access and data. I'm on Fi and IF I bought this on payments it would double my monthly bill for 24 months.
o_O
I may end up getting a Moto X pure or something cheap (assuming the N6 quits me sometime) and unlocked and going to T-Mobile or one of the other "budget carriers" and hope and pray for a better option in the future. It really drives me bonkers that we pay so much just for the privilege of "staying connected". :(

Upvote 0
My employer reimburses the cost of a phone every couple of years - so I submitted my order for the 128GB Pixel. I suspect that (after seeing the huge bill this year) they will start limiting the total amount to something a little more affordable :D

I must admit though - I'm not sure how I'll get by without adaway. Dreading the thought

Reactions: jwbeeler
Upvote 0
My employer reimburses the cost of a phone every couple of years - so I submitted my order for the 128GB Pixel. I suspect that (after seeing the huge bill this year) they will start limiting the total amount to something a little more affordable :D

I must admit though - I'm not sure how I'll get by without adaway. Dreading the thought
Adaway? I'm anxious to see the reviews once the phone is delivered. Battery life is a big thing for me.

Upvote 0
Adaway? I'm anxious to see the reviews once the phone is delivered. Battery life is a big thing for me.
I assume you are asking what Adaway is - it basically allows users to modify the hosts file on their rooted device easily, which in turn allows ad-blocking.

I whitelist most of the sites that I visit frequently - I understand that ads are their main source of revenue, and so I allows ads on those sites. Problem is when browsing the web, there are a bunch of popups (that indicate that your device is infected etc), or other intrusive ads that prevent me from even getting to the content - those sites are quickly removed from the whitelist.

My Nexus tablet is not rooted and I don't have adaway on it - browsing the web can be a nightmare on it :)

Reactions: Bg260 and jwbeeler
Upvote 0
Well, no. As long as you don't buy your phone from Verizon, the bootloader will be unlockable (it doesn't ship unlocked, but easily unlockable).
As of now, since the device is not out yet, nobody knows if it can be rooted. Google is making it harder to root, and with Pixel's dual partitions for seamless updates, rooting may be harder. See this article for more details - http://www.xda-developers.com/pixel-phones-not-yet-rootable-with-current-methods/

Also, we hope that Google will make the factory images available for Pixels, as they have done for Nexus devices till now. No guarantees, till we actually see those images (or Google makes a statement about it).

Just a lot of unknowns at this time - that's what I was trying to say :)

Reactions: jwbeeler
Upvote 0
Thanks. I'm all caught up now. Still not happy to hear that the Pixel is not a Nexus replacement, but a whole different animal all together.
I have been running stock rooted N on my nexus 6 for a bit and I am starting to see why root may not be necessary for some anymore. That's not to speak for the bloatware laden OEM and carrier branded devices though.

Upvote 0
No plans here as the price is well out there for its specs. When you look at the contracts they are all inflated with ridiculous plans, I need a basic plan and they just don't do them.

I've been keeping an eye on the V20, unfortunately not available in the UK yet.

For info, both pixel phones can be rooted. Check out the forums for more details.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
Ok so my N6 contract is effectively up now and is the Pixel or Pixel XL a viable upgrade? Normally I would do it straight away but just contemplating whether to hold off for a bit and decide which way to go.

Always liked having native Google devices so I don't have to wait for updates, but if these are the best to go for, I might go sim only for a few months and wait for the price to drop. Is the XL significantly better than the standard Pixel?

Upvote 0
depends on how much weight you put on "significant".

Since you are asking opinions, for me, the pixel was not enough of an upgrade for me. hardware is so so, screen size is smaller than the n6...

i am with you in that you get updates first with google devices, but that was not enough to keep me around. i moved onto another device that has much better specs overall than the pixel.

the pixel in my opinion is not worth the upgrade. others will chime in and say otherwise (As you know how thewe types of questions go...)

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Here's what bugs me. As a customer of Google Fi, I am stuck with my N6 (not that I don't love the phone) and I am unable to replace it. If (God forbid) It went belly up or I accidentally dropped it in a chipper shredder, or if it got stolen by an international spy/ninja I'd be SOL. I don't want either the N6P or the N5X (plus stock is dwindling as I type) and neither of the Pixel phones do much for me and the price is prohibitive. I have heard stories about other phones working on Fi but only on Tmo network and heck if I am going to go that route might as well go to Tmo.

Why Google? Why have you forsaken me?
End Drama.
o_O

Upvote 0
So early sketches of the pixel 2 and pixel XL 2 have been released and guest what they look just like the first pixel an iPhone wannabe. I realize now I am on seriously borrowed time with my Nexus 6. It's become clear that alot of Nexus 6 aren't getting Android N including mine and no I am not going to flash, upload, install 7.0 or 7.1.1 manually. I can't risk damaging my phone. Like many Nexus 6 owners I often think about what comes next after my Nexus 6 stops working or has some unforeseen accident. What phone would I get,?? I know I would not get a pixel or any of the other Nexus phones that came after the 6. My top choices right now would be the ZTE Axon 7, the OnePlusone 3T , the HTC 10 and finally the Moto X.
I know the day is coming when I will have to let go and move on, sooner or later it will happen. I take comfort in knowing that Nexus phones can continue to thrive years after the last update arrives. My wife note 2 is going on five years of service later on in the year. She's running jellybean, sure the battery life sucks, we have to limit installed apps, but it's still running. As long as my Nexus 6 continues to function I will keep using it whether that be one more year or ten years, just some random Saturday morning ramblings

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones