• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody thinking about moving to a Pixel?

It's become clear that alot of Nexus 6 aren't getting Android N including mine and no I am not going to flash, upload, install 7.0 or 7.1.1 manually.
That is so weird - and you are not the only one in this situation. As long as you are on the stock ROM (which, based on your statement about not wanting to flash, I'm sure you are on the stock ROM), there is no reason why you shouldn't have received the update.

I realize it is a long shot, but have you tried to contact Google support to see if they can help in any way? I suspect they aren't going to say "Wait for it to roll out - it happens over several waves" - it is way past that time now :)

Reactions: joe71
Upvote 0
That is so weird - and you are not the only one in this situation. As long as you are on the stock ROM (which, based on your statement about not wanting to flash, I'm sure you are on the stock ROM), there is no reason why you shouldn't have received the upda

I realize it is a long shot, but have you tried to contact Google support to see if they can help in any way? I suspect they aren't going to say "Wait for it to roll out - it happens over several waves" - it is way past that time now :)
I have come to terms with the fact that Google/project Fi has basically wash their hands of the Nexus 6 and pretty much all Nexus phones the 6p should get at least one more possibly two more updates I am thinking Android p will be the last major system upgrade for the Nexus line, I am going to say by 2019 anyone with Nexus device is on their own, if my Nexus 6 is running still in 2019 on Android M I will be very happy, seems to me I have read too many posts of people being circle jerk by Google and Project Fi over Android N where the Nexus 6 is concerned

Yep absolutely no desire still to get rid of my Nexus 6 for a pixel thing

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Okay, round 3. We are quickly approaching the third anniversary of the Nexus 6. Officially discontinued in December of 2015. It's some how managed to struggle on. Almost a year and a half after it was discontinued most Nexus 6 devices were upgraded system wise to Android N.
Rumors are Samsung will announce the new note 8 later this month, in September we should hear about the iPhone 8 or 9 plus or whatever it is they calling it, we might hear from LG, Sony, heck even Nokia. Come October or November we are going to introduce to the next Pixel phone.
According to all the rumors and boy there have been plenty of them. It seems that the people over at pixel decided to slow down take a long hard look at the pixel phones and decided a serious over haul was in order. If the rumors turn out to be true it seems we might have a pixel phablet. 6 inch screen and possibly even dual front speakers, Nexus 6 (2.0)??? Okay I know Nexus is gone rebranded Pixel. It was supposed to put Google devices on the same page as Apple and Samsung device wise. To me Google screwed up, they threw away a premium brand for inferior junk.
Sorry but Google got left behind. So it's 2017 and it appears Google is going to try and be the come back kid. It seems they are aiming at the phablet group and those who want a standard 5.5 device.
One of the rumors is the next Pixel will be losing the headphone jack. There are wireless headphones and Bluetooth devices . I think it's another way to stick it to the consumer. I have noticed that the activity posting wise around here has slowed down. I know people eventually move on from cellphone devices as with nearly every other thing. I am sure if the rumors prove to be true, we are going to see a pretty large Exodus to the new pixel devices. For me I am sticking with my Nexus 6. While 2017 might be about a new pixel phone or iPhone for some, in our house the only device we are getting is the note 8. The wife's note 2 after five and half years has begun it final round. Her battery on some days last at most two hours, we factory reset, wipe the cache, had a few bloatware apps removed to clear up storage space and to improve performance, at work they apparently tried to install Android N and then Android M but it wouldn't take, I don't know what happened all I know is somewhere along the way the note 2 would freeze up, they would factory reset go through the regular set up, etc etc etc. So this year we will get the note 8. Next year who knows I might be ready to move on, but if my Nexus 6 is still going strong, I probably won't be moving on, long live the Nexus 6

Upvote 0
Haha, I still have my N6. Only issue I have is some screen burn when going full screen from the on screen buttons, only noticeable when watching films tho.

So ridiculously hard to replace, the LG G6 was a bum deal with the split specs per country, tried an S7 found it too small, almost brought an S8, felt narrow.. Even thought about getting a tablet and then a more standard type phone only to find the tablet market sucks on android.

Now keeping an eye on the Sony XZ Premium, seems to meet most my needs. Shame there is no curved screen tho.. :thinking::p

Upvote 0
Now keeping an eye on the Sony XZ Premium, seems to meet most my needs. Shame there is no curved screen tho.. :thinking::p

Why would you want a curved screen? I've had my Pixel for quite some time now and can't believe I don't miss my N6 at all. I pick up my wife's N6 and just think to myself...why did I ever wonder about switching.

Upvote 0
Okay so for the past few weeks I have been trying to go check out the Pixel XL 2. It has been no easy task, every place I went to that was supposed to have the Pixel XL 2 seemed to paranoid to let people see it, one store I think wanted you to pass a a government back ground security clearance check. Finally this week Tuesday I was actually able to see it an actual working model. I was actually impressed with it. I like the overall build, screen display, dual front speakers are always a thumbs up m two things I didn't like where the no headphone jack and the price. I'm sorry the pixel XL 2 isn't worth nearly a$1,000 dollars I could see paying maybe $800 for it but not a $1,000. The only phone on the market right now that can easily justify the $1,000 price tag is the note 8

Okay I now this is cyber Monday week and the pixel XL 2 is retailing for $845 but is that new set price? I have been trying to Google the price and all I can find is $845. I could swear when the pixel XL 2 launched the price tag was well over $900 pushing the $950 area. I am wondering if this is a temporary drop and the price will pick up in January or if the pixel XL 2 isn't selling well and Google is trying to be competitive with Apple and Samsung, not to mention LG, Sony and HTC.

Upvote 0
Battery is still chugging along great on mine, I love the
6inch Amoled - front firing speakers

So I placed the tablet data plan sim in it from Tmobile.
Its an old 6gb w/ full speed tethering, Binge-on (free streaming on most) $35 month plan

Google voice, hangouts dialer, its still a happy (almost phone)

Upvote 0
I have come to terms with the fact that Google/project Fi has basically wash their hands of the Nexus 6 and pretty much all Nexus phones the 6p should get at least one more possibly two more updates I am thinking Android p will be the last major system upgrade for the Nexus line, I am going to say by 2019 anyone with Nexus device is on their own, if my Nexus 6 is running still in 2019 on Android M I will be very happy, seems to me I have read too many posts of people being circle jerk by Google and Project Fi over Android N where the Nexus 6 is concerned

Yep absolutely no desire still to get rid of my Nexus 6 for a pixel thing

Go baba

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones