anybody use root explorer?

1. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

i see the other forums have a thread or two on this but thought i'd ask fellow moment users if anyone is using root explorer to remove installed apps. i have used it with much success so far and even reinstalled one or two. just curious what you guys think is the best way to do things of this nature and what all can be done with this app without too much concern.

Advertisement
  2. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

i've used droid explorer from my laptop, which is pretty user friendly. haven't played with root explorer yet though.
  3. Radical-J

Radical-J Well-Known Member

You mean there is an easier way than typing in all those commands one letter at a time???
  4. chibucks

haha, yup... that's why they're dangerous. :) it makes things too easy.
  5. SITH

SITH Well-Known Member

I tried droid explorer but I run 64 bit vista and it won't install. I have read it works on 64 bit 7 though.
  6. kbrn

kbrn Well-Known Member

geez!!!!!! where can I get that stuff... I hated typing commands...
  7. SITH

SITH Well-Known Member

8. kbrn

kbrn Well-Known Member

9. NOMster

Root explorer is on the market and so far is working well for me. I am surprised noone else is using it.
  10. RoboPastries

RoboPastries Member

I just got root access today and Ive already uninstalled some apps using root explorer. Its so easy, just click and delete. This is the easiest method for me since I primarily use a Mac.
  11. flam253

flam253 Member

seriously it make it a lot easier than using cmd on windows
  12. reneeminyard

reneeminyard Member

ok, NOMster, I bought root explorer on your recommendation, but I don't know how to use it to remove stock apps. Can you walk me through it? Thank you. :)
  13. NOMster

open root explorer then scroll down and click on system. then click on app. there are all the stock apps. long press on any of them and it will bring up a menu with multiple options one of which is move. after clicking on move just use the back button to get to the main root explorer list (in the upper right it shows where you are. you want to get back to / . then scroll down to sd card open it and the lower left option is paste. one thing. when you use this method it changes permissions. so if you want to reload any apps after moving them out this way. then after placing back into the apps folder, long click and choose "permissions" which will allow you to change the setup to match your other apps.

warning:if you remove vsuite (the nuance sytem) to the sd card, you will have to pull the battery, because it will go into a force close loop. but when you put your battery back in, it should be fine. then you can go into root explorer/sd card/ and long click any apps you want to permanently delete. if any.

i was also wondering how this would work to back up the data folder to sd, but i'm scared to try it.
    GeekyMom, Flipper and Renee1228 like this.
  14. woldy2

woldy2 Active Member

wingz stated that he used titanium backup...i dl it today...works great...just click the app you want to delete, gives you an option to back it up, i did that, then deleted it...works great and its free
  15. Renee1228

Renee1228 Well-Known Member

Yea, I saw that, but I had already purchased root explorer and the 24 hour return period was past.

@ NOMster, Thanks!! :) Love it!
  16. ragingbull2k2

ragingbull2k2 Well-Known Member

well, I've tried Ti Backup, Droid explorer and even c: prompt, but it seems I can't connect to the phone... Ti Backup says I don't have Super User rights, Droid explorer doesn't detect the phone, same with cmd prompt... when going to USB debug mode, I windows vista asks me for the drivers, when I already have them installed (custom rom through sprint update)... tried "installing" some new ones, but couldn't find the correct ones... help? :) I feel like I'm missing a step or three, but can't find my answer no matter how long I'm searching here and sdx...

Joey
  17. chibucks

try the drivers found here: USB drivers (dead)

edit: directly:
    http://www.samsungmomentforum.com/how-to/how-to-tether/?action=dlattach;attach=36
    http://www.samsungmomentforum.com/how-to/how-to-tether/?action=dlattach;attach=37

there are 3 sets of different drivers used (copied from someone else's post)

On Vista x64
    1 - (Standard USB connection.)
    -"Android UMS Composite USB Device" - Listed under Disk Drives
    - Drive letter, for me its "J:\" - Listed under Portable Devices

2 - (Connected in Recovery Mode)
    -"Android UMS Composite USB Device" - Listed under Disk Drives
    - "Samsung Android USB Modem" - Listed Under Modems
    - "Samsung Android USB Composite Device" - Listed Under Universal Serial Bus controllers

3 - (Connect in Download Mode)
    - "Samsung Mobile Modem" - Listed Under Modems
    - "Samsung USB Composite Device" - Listed Under Universal Serial Bus controllers
  18. ragingbull2k2

well, that worked great! only problem is I still don't have super user access... not sure what to think of it other than starting a thread and try to get some more replies... it only shows "$", not "#" or whatever it is... at least I'm one step closer...

Joey
  19. chibucks

when you get the $ sign, type in "su" - and see if you get the #... if you do, then you have super user access.
  20. ragingbull2k2

yeah, I did that shortly after typing my reply... thanks for the help! still for some reason Ti Backup doesn't work...

"Busybox works but the 'su' command does not elevate to root: 'whoami' reports 'whoami: unknown uid 10050' instead of uid 0. I think your 'Superuser Whitelist' system app does not work. Please check with your ROM provider."

I guess I should pm joey?

Joey
  21. IRepTheKing

IRepTheKing Member

THanks for letting me know that you can get a refund. Didn't know that. Just returned Root Explorer. Got my $$ back. Thanks.
  22. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

I tried it and got refunded/uninstalled, the ROM's I made over at SDX took out the apps I wanted gone.
  23. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

I use root explorer as well. I know cmd now but didn't starting and it was worth it. When switching ROM's some didn't want to work with Mybackup and TiBackup so I was happy with my choice. I will probably continue to use it as well.
  24. edwinc11

edwinc11 New Member

Did you get root access with root explorer and if you did because I have root explorer how do you do it? Thanks
  25. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

You have to root your phone first. When using root explorer, tap the "mount r/o" button to enable move/delete of protected system files.