1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Using a Remote Wipe/Security App?

Last Updated:

1. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looking for a remote wipe/lock phone app, I see there doesn't seem to be too much out there. What are you guys using?

Advertisement
  2. the208

the208 Well-Known Member

3. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

awesome, that looks pretty sweet!

4. jfbaro

jfbaro Well-Known Member

WaveSecure as well.

I just want to find a way of making it invisible through task killer, so if anyone steals my phone it won't be a matter of going to task killer and kill WaveSecure's process.

How can that be done? Do I need to root the Phone?

Regards

5. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

+1 for WaveSecure.

If WaveSecure is not running when you perform an action from the website, it will send a text to your phone telling it to start WaveSecure.

6. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Mobile Defense, installed as a system app.

7. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

Another WaveSecure user here. It rocks.

8. cheewee

cheewee Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Firstly, I apologize for the shameless plug.

We've just released an exciting WaveSecure update on Android Market that includes better Android 2.x contact sync and also an add-on called WaveSecure Uninstall Protection Add-on (UPA).

WaveSecure Uninstall Protection Add-on (UPA) locks your phone when it detects that WaveSecure is removed. If you uninstall UPA, WaveSecure will lock the phone to secure it too.

The cool thing is that they watch out for each other and is a breeze to install. For users who don't want to root their devices and put WaveSecure in the ROM, this is a easy way to offer more protection.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com

9. Eris Lover

Eris Lover Well-Known Member

Hey cheewee, Question if I may.... Updated my wavesecure today and installed UPA. Great app by the way. But like most people who can't leave thier phone alone occasionally I may have to perform a factory reset. Wondering if there are any ramifications when the phone uninstalls the app via a reset or reflash? Or is it only when user interaction ask to uninstall it?

10. cheewee

cheewee Well-Known Member

Hi Eris Lover,
    UPA protects your phone by locking it when WaveSecure or this add-on is removed. It's really more people who don't want to root their devices and put WaveSecure in ROM. Through this, you can prevent your data from falling into the wrong hands and to protect your privacy.

We all know the only way to truly protect WaveSecure from removal is to put it in the ROM. However, we want to provide users with an additional layer of protection if they don't want to do so.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com

11. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

Anyone using SMS Erase? How effective is it? What all does it wipe? Does it wipe the SM card also or just phone?
    I am trying to find a good remote wipe, but for some reason not many reputable options on Android. I would think Google would offer one through Gmail. thanks

12. rapidsandroid

Wavesecure is offering a 20% discount now. Anyone recommend it for remote wipe? Why or why not? I am tired of waiting for Mobile Defense to get their act together and communicate anything on their site about availability.

w_bovine likes this.
  13. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

I'd been considering WaveSecure for the past few days; I was quite pleased to find your post about the discount. That clinched it for me. Thanks! :)

14. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

I tried WaveSecure and it had a couple of problems:

(1) The SMS messages it sends caused my HTC Messages app to hang at "Loading..." requiring a phone reboot

(2) The backup of (533) contacts would never complete. Their tech support claimed it was a server problem and would be fixed in a few days. That never happened.

Several exchanges with their support resulted in no useful info. The technician(s) clearly didn't really understand my detailed and carefully written problem reports. Answers were canned responses that were irrelevant to my problems.

I uninstalled it.

Now I use Theft Aware. It's very well engineered, has great features. I do not need backup (I use SpriteMobile/Dropbox for that anyway).

http://android.theftaware.com/

15. rapidsandroid

I am not looking for a backup because frankly I don't trust these 3rd party companies I have never heard of with my data, but I am really looking for a remote wipe.
    Theft Aware says "wipes sensitive data." What exactly will it wipe?
    Also, the cost is in Euros. Does that mean all SMS messages will be charged since international even if I have unlimited text?
    And who is the parent company? I clicked on the link on the bottom but took me to some odd site. Would hate for this to be some Eastern European mob front. lol

16. rapidsandroid

Your welcome. I am still on the fence.

17. yhperalt

yhperalt Member

Another Mobile Defense user here, great app though the beta is not available anymore

18. apurva.giri

apurva.giri Member

Try this :-

[​IMG]

Its free and so many features as well...