Anyine have the Galaxy S i897 Desktop Cradle?

Last Updated:

1. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Dang.. cant edit the title, that's AnyONE ;)

Ok, Samsung has just started selling official accessories on theri site for this phone.

I am interested in the Galaxy S i897 Desktop Cradle. I says you have to use the charger that came with the phone... so you buy this thing for $40, then if you want to plug it into the wall you have to use the charger you got with the phone, or buy another one for 20 bucks... kinda lame.. but everyone is doing this these days.

The question is, in the picture of it on the Samsung website, Chargers - Cell Phones | SAMSUNG, it looks like there is a 3.5 jack on the back of it. I am curious to what that is... if it is a 3.5 AV jack, and if it supports audio and video out, or just audio or what. Unfortunatly, the description on samsung's site is very short, and not very descriptive of the features. It would seem a bit expensive if its just a plastic stand that holds your phone while it charges with a charger that isnt included. Im also assuming it would work as a syncing dock if the USB cord were plugged into a computer instead of the wall adapter.

Anyone have one of these or know more about them that could fill me in?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. wezli

wezli Member

$40? Yeesh. Nice looking dock though.

3. novagator

novagator Well-Known Member

Looks pretty money.

4. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

I have one of these (but I actually received it as a gift) ... I haven't figured out what the (supposed) 3.5mm jack is; I tried to plug my headphones into it and it didn't work. I'm guessing it might be an audio OUT -- as in, you can hook it to speakers or something (since the dock is excellent for watching movies).

I use it as a bedside dock/charger. It works with any MicroUSB charger (it just has a MicroUSB port in the back, nothing proprietary)

5. djsmvp

djsmvp Active Member

hmm, so the alarms I set might actually wake me up in the morning then. awesome.

6. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Any way of finding out where the person who gave it to you got theirs? It's been OOS for like 3 months now on Samsung's site...

7. jblaze5779

jblaze5779 Well-Known Member

I've been wondering what that 3.5 on the back is for too. I haven't seen anyone with the cradle yet.

8. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Has been out of stock as soon as it is up on the website.

9. wylkell

wylkell Member

I, also, am curious where anyone has purchased one of these. All of the samsung specific accessories (the desktop dock and the car dock) are and have always been (as far as i've seen) out of stock. It's gotten to the point that i was starting to think they were vaporware.

Anyone know of any other docks that will work for the captivate? And by work, i mean "slide into the dock and charge without me plugging in a cable afterwards". All i've seen for sale so far are generic docks that just hold the thing.

10. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

He works at Samsung Mobile

I'm not sure if I have the production version since I just got the thing itself (not a boxed item) but it works fine for me

11. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Oh. Hah. Well, I guess that explains that then. These things've been almost mythical since we 1st saw 'em on Samsung's site a few months back. Beginning to wonder if they actually exist....

12. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Good grief, for $40 it should come with a power connection (i.e., extra usb cable and AC/USB adapter).

It's really cool though.

13. macshield

macshield Active Member

are you kidding me? It cost $40 and doesn't come with a charger. This thing almost cost as much as what you can pick up the phone for in some places. I hope samsung lowers the prices of their accessories or that someone else starts making some.

14. Charley000

Charley000 New Member

If you search really hard on the Samsung site, you find that that 3.5mm jack is "line out" and won't be functional until the Android 2.2 release.

15. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info, maybe this dock will be "in stock" by that time :p