• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone considering giving up Android for iPhone 4S?

A friend of ours is here now, visiting before heading off to church. She's got her spanking new 4S, and I was just looking it over.

She loves that thing, and I can see why: handling it reminds me of a very premium apparatus, not a phone. It's finely made, has a "gem" sort of appeal. I can see why it sells, especially once handled in a store.

She looked at my X2, picked it up and marveled at its screen size, but grinned and just said, "well, maybe I leave mine out laying around for people to look at on purpose, it's so pretty."

Like mine isn't "pretty?" Hey! :D

Upvote 0
If you are a tinkerer, then I think you'll end up jailbreaking your Iphone. It might have changed but the main reason why people jailbreak their iphones is for the apps for jailbroken iphones, to use it on another carrier or to change the look of their UI. Most of the apps for Jailbroken iphones are apps that come standard on some Android devices or are on the Android Market already like quick toggles, text quick replies, task switchers etc. You've been there done that I would assume with your previous Android device.

The best thing that I've seen on a jailbroken Iphone is probably the themes. Some of them look really really cool but our launcher themes and backgrounds aren't half bad either. However, we don't need to root our phones to do that.

IMO, I would at least wait until the Iphone 5 to even consider jumping to the Iphone. Not sure if you still have the Eris but Android phones have come a loooong way from the Eris.

Yep, I still have the Eris ... it turned into a fine phone as soon as I got rid of HTC Sense, and it still works pretty well. I'm sure the iPhone 5 won't be out till next summer, though, and I don't think I want to hold onto the Eris *that* much longer. :)

I've played around with some of the new Android phones, and they're fast with great screens ... but the higher-end ones honestly don't have a good "feel" to me. I'm talking partly about craftsmanship, but I also think the screen sizes are getting a little out of hand. (And I'm a big guy, with big hands.) OTOH, while the iPhone has great build quality I wish its screen were slightly larger. So nothing's perfect.

And yeah, as far as customization goes, we Android fans will happily root our phones but simultaneously tend to forget that iPhones can easily be jailbroken. Advanced users with the inclination can readily customize both platforms very well. Intermediate users -- who like to tinker, but aren't comfortable jailbreaking/rooting -- will definitely have more fun with Android, while those who don't want to tinker at all will often prefer an iPhone.

Anyhow, as I said ... I'm definitely going to check out both the new Nexus and the new OS before I finally decide to jump ship.

Upvote 0
So you have just reinforced my point! Why do I have to void the warranty in order to get rid of bloat ware? Android is worse than Windows in that regard and Google doesn't care since they just want to sell you ads. I work in IT so I'm very much tech savvy but the average customer who isn't interested in tinkering with their phone will be forever stuck with preinstalled junk that takes up space, slows down the phone and drains the battery. Not to mention updates take forever to arrive unless you have the Nexus phone while with iPhone everyone can upgrade to the new OS the day it's released.

Not saying anything about you, but this is a pattern I have noticed. I love how certain people "work in IT" and put that on a pedestal in order to validate their misinformed responses(about anything tech related, not just iOS/Android/WP7 debates). "Tech savvy" or not it is obvious you do not know much about Android despite making glaring accusations about certain things that you are blatantly incorrect about, despite many members here correcting your misconceptions in a friendly manor.

Do you wish to learn more about Android? Do you have any questions we can help you with? Do you need tutorials on how to remove "preinstalled junk"? --

As for "preinstalled junk" I could say the exact same thing for Apple devices.

Can I uninstall the stock Apple browser? -- Preinstalled junk.
Can I uninstall the iPod app? -- Preinstalled junk.
Can I uninstall iMessage? -- Preinstalled junk
Can I uninstall Siri? -- Preinstalled junk.
Can I uninstall the native phone dialer in favor of my own? -- Preinstalled junk.

I could go on all day. What most Apple users fail to realize is with Android the biggest thing we love about our devices is choice. Choice is not for everybody. Some people like to be told what they can and can't do with their devices which gives them a false sense of security. And that is fine. To each their own. Some people like sports cars, some people like trucks. Now I realize that is not always the case and there are exceptions to each and every rule.

We as the community are here to help you with any of your Android needs, even me personally. If you need help customizing, rooting, or just learning how to use your Android device itself, and many many others here are happy to help you. Here's a tip though, people with low post counts like yours (I know post count is not everything) blasting things that some of us are very passionate about (Android, obviously) tends to put people like me on the defensive. I understand you may be on the defensive yourself, but a little bit of sugar, please, thanks, and understanding does go a long way.

Especially in situations like this where text can be misread, misinterpreted, etc. due to not having tone of voice and body language characteristics to judge from.

If you need help please let me or the other friendly members know what you need help with or want to learn about, and Welcome to Androidforums.com. I hope you stick around and learn how great Android truly is ;):)

Upvote 0
I admit I'm an anti-Apple fan. And anti-Microsoft. Freedom of choice is a priority. I build my own PCs and run Slackware Linux since Slackware by default installs only the basics which I can then build on. So Android will really have to crap out for me to switch. But not everyone wants to get that involved with their tech. The iPhone seems to be a good choice for those who just want to open the box and get going. From what I have read though the 4S doesn't seem to be that big of an upgrade over the 4. Waiting for the iPhone 5 may be a better choice unless one needs to always have the latest.

Upvote 0
With iOS 5, its possible to use an iPhone without any need to own/use a computer. You can activate an iPhone with iOS 5 installed right out of the box.

You can also update the iPhone's OS from the iPhone itself now with iOS 5.
If what you're saying it really true, that's a step in the right direction, for sure. How do you get non-iTunes music on with iOS 5?

Upvote 0
If what you're saying it really true, that's a step in the right direction, for sure. How do you get non-iTunes music on with iOS 5?

To clarify, I meant no need to use a computer to activate, or update the OS. With non iTunes music (such as music off of CD's), then these would still require a computer/iTunes software to add them onto the iPhone, but to add any music onto any smartphone that was MP3 based or on CD, you would still need a computer to do this.

But if your an iPhone user who purchases all their music off iTunes (iTunes app on the iPhone), then its possible to now have all your purchases cloud based (iCloud) and also activate the iPhone from on the device itself, and also update the software from on the iPhone also.

Upvote 0
LOL pretending to be tech savy yet you dont know about mediamonkey

Pretending? No, I said that on purpose.

After all, people "shouldn't need a 3rd party, android does this without voiding a warranty". -- See how that works?

Now I know using mediamonkey won't void a warranty (or will it?) but that all goes the same. Furthermore being "tech savvy" does not mean knowing absolutely everything about every single electronics device in existence. On top of that, I have openly stated I have never owned and never plan to own any Apple devices, nor do I care enough to find out how to fix Apple's flaws even if they are intentionally designed that way.

And as far as mediamonkey, you'll find I have extensive experience with MediaMonkey, with even a few long-winded tutorials on this forum (if they haven't been purged) using MediaMonkey. I am a current owner of MediaMonkey Gold, actually.

But then again this just highlights my point. There is no way to pull your music off an iDevice natively, you have to use third party work arounds which seems to be a primary complaint from iDevice users.

I guess it's ok for iDevice users to have to use third party solutions but when Android users do the same it's somehow a bad thing.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Nope, absolutely no way.
The processor may be faster, but so what? I hardly play anything on the Desire anyway, and what I do, I see no lag.

As for the Siri, when my apple-religious friend introduced it to me I lmao'd. I mean, come on? Where can you really use that? Maybe when you're alone, in a car or something, but like, in a bus? A public queue? Airport? Dentist's waiting room? I'd personally never use Siri in public, plus, it isn't even in Finnish atm.

And the camera. I take about 5 pictures a month. And I only view them on the phone screen. :)

Before rooting, I was a bit annoyed with the htc apps lagging, etc. but after rooting and flashing a new rom, my battery life tripled and lag reduced to zero. My apple-religious friends' iphone 4 lags more now :p

I'm rooted, running launcherpro, and I absolutely love my Desire. I might look into the Nexus Prime when it comes out though.. :)

Upvote 0
A friend of ours is here now, visiting before heading off to church. She's got her spanking new 4S, and I was just looking it over.

She loves that thing, and I can see why: handling it reminds me of a very premium apparatus, not a phone. It's finely made, has a "gem" sort of appeal. I can see why it sells, especially once handled in a store.

She looked at my X2, picked it up and marveled at its screen size, but grinned and just said, "well, maybe I leave mine out laying around for people to look at on purpose, it's so pretty."

Like mine isn't "pretty?" Hey! :D

iPhone pretty? Well they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The 4S I saw in the store wasn't pretty off and any phone can be pretty turned on with a nice background. And while time will tell if it really is, my Esteem feels and performs like a premium device.

Upvote 0
Can I uninstall the stock Apple browser? -- Preinstalled junk.
Can I uninstall the iPod app? -- Preinstalled junk.
Can I uninstall iMessage? -- Preinstalled junk
Can I uninstall Siri? -- Preinstalled junk.
Can I uninstall the native phone dialer in favor of my own? -- Preinstalled junk.

I could go on all day. What most Apple users fail to realize is with Android the biggest thing we love about our devices is choice. Choice is not for everybody. Some people like to be told what they can and can't do with their devices which gives them a false sense of security. And that is fine. To each their own. Some people like sports cars, some people like trucks. Now I realize that is not always the case and there are exceptions to each and every rule. t

I sense a bit of bias in your post. I highly doubt you have any experience with an iPhone 4S or a jailbroken iPhone for that matter. Not so surprising, considering this is a site for Anndroid fanboys. Apple has them as well and are usually naive to Android users value as you seem to be about what Apple users value.

Upvote 0
I sense a bit of bias in your post. I highly doubt you have any experience with an iPhone 4S or a jailbroken iPhone for that matter. Not so surprising, considering this is a site for Anndroid fanboys. Apple has them as well and are usually naive to Android users value as you seem to be about what Apple users value.
#
I think you missed what he was saying.Go read post #154 and the quote he responded to. Anyway we know the iphone can be jailbroken. With Android, you can customize your phone to your liking right out the box.

Upvote 0

Isn't everyone in this thread biased? Certainly looks it to me.

Upvote 0
for 2 weeks. I told the Verizon store that I was long time android, but that I would give it a try if I could return it like I did the Bionic (bugs). They thought I would like it once I got used to it. I am pro Android, but let me give you my initial opinion.

Pros:
1. best build quality of any phone I have ever held in my hand. Period.
2. decent battery life, good for just one day if you are not too busy on it.
3. good size ,but see my bad post on this. It fits in my pocket and feels nice.
4. speed is actually pretty good, faster than Droid X not as fast as Bionic.
5. ringtones and vibrate are excellent, good sound and can really feel vibrate.
6. some apps have more features (CNN,Radar, others), but some also have more ads.
7. voice recognition is better than I expected, Siri is okay, works good.
8. best camera I have ever used on a phone. Nice
9. It is a world phone, no switching when traveling overseas.
Cons:
1. No notification light
2. favorite web forum does not resize to fit margins when blown up
3. phone turns on anytime you plug it in or unplug
4. speed not as good as bionic, but still pretty fast
5. screen is hard to read sometimes and does not always resize on blow up
6. No menu button, makes it more difficult to navigate OS

The more I use it, the more I like it. Usually it is the other way around. I am starting to worry that I might actually keep this phone. Bill

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0

This is absolutely not a site for "Android fanboys." In a thread like this, you're going to see a lot of reasons why some people really don't like how Apple or iOS does things, and as long as we're sticking to the merits and weaknesses of the respective operating systems, I consider this healthy debate. Apple users, feel free to counter any misconceptions you see. But debate the issues, not the poster. Calling someone a fanboy, or claiming that someone has no experience in Apple products is dangerous ground. You're attacking the poster, and it degrades the quality of your post and the thread.

Keep that in mind and let's see if we can have a healthy debate, ok?

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
Once again the great Android/iPhone debate. So, I'll try and be fair here. I think the iPhone is great little phone that's made well and is pretty reliable. That said, I will not have one any time soon. It's just that I can't play around with the "look" of one like I can an android. There also isn't much change physically from one to the next. You can always tell an iPhone when you see one. For me, all of this would not work simply because I get bored to easily. I NEED to change my phones look often and eventually I need to change the entire phone just because I get bored with the current one. It's not necessarily a good characteristic but never the less, it's how I am. Android phones are getting better and better and I truly feel the top of the line ones can easily match up with iPhone. I have a multitude to choose from and they come in all shapes and sizes. I need a WIDE selection from which to choose. For all the iPhone lovers out there, you have ONE (unless you count the older models). That's kind of like buying the same model car every year. It's great if you LOVE that model but how many people really do that?

Upvote 0

For people who do not want to jailbreak their iPhone or root their Android phone, an unrooted Android phone allows for more customisability than an unjailbroken iPhone. My experience with the iPhone 4 is that my father-in-law has one and occasionally asks me to help him fix/configure it. Also, my colleague at work has one and we've discussed the various features and capabilities of our phones. Nether he nor I root/jailbreak our phones.

There are some nice features of the iPhone that I do find impressive. Unjailbroken customisability on the iPhone is just not as great as an unrooted Android.

With regard to the unwanted apps, I am not bothered by them. I use my home screen to access my apps/widgets 99% of the time. None of the unwanted apps are on my home screens, so I hardly ever see them or are bothered by them. The amount of storage they take up is negligeable and I never run them.

Upvote 0
for 2 weeks. I told the Verizon store that I was long time android, but that I would give it a try if I could return it like I did the Bionic (bugs). They thought I would like it once I got used to it. I am pro Android, but let me give you my initial opinion.

Pros:
1. best build quality of any phone I have ever held in my hand. Period.
2. decent battery life, good for just one day if you are not too busy on it.
3. good size ,but see my bad post on this. It fits in my pocket and feels nice.
4. speed is actually pretty good, faster than Droid X not as fast as Bionic.
5. ringtones and vibrate are excellent, good sound and can really feel vibrate.
6. some apps have more features (CNN,Radar, others), but some also have more ads.
7. voice recognition is better than I expected, Siri is okay, works good.
8. best camera I have ever used on a phone. Nice
9. It is a world phone, no switching when traveling overseas.
Cons:
1. No notification light
2. favorite web forum does not resize to fit margins when blown up
3. phone turns on anytime you plug it in or unplug
4. speed not as good as bionic, but still pretty fast
5. screen is hard to read sometimes and does not always resize on blow up
6. No menu button, makes it more difficult to navigate OS

The more I use it, the more I like it. Usually it is the other way around. I am starting to worry that I might actually keep this phone. Bill

Add to your cons...

No LTE
Can't be used as a hotspot
No voice guided navigation
No ability to change icons, themes or launchers
No swype keyboard
No ability to change stock keyboard
Can't upgrade or remove memory
Can't upgrade or change battery

I'm sure there are more I came up with when I was deciding this too, just can't remember

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones