Anyone Else Concerned that It's a Motorola?

Last Updated:

1. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just curious. I don't pay much attention to the phone market (until now), but the last big motorola phone I remember was the Razor, which if my memory serves me correct, had a ton of issues associated with it.

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

But this is Running Android So I doubt their will be many problems software side unless it's hardware related..... But you shouldn't knock it just yet until you try it :p

This is Definitely an Iconic phone for Android too , Theirs so much hype over this handset :D

3. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i agree, softwire side I have no worries.

more worried about stupid things like the screen dieing 2 days after your warranty runs out or the keyboard stopping working 2 weeks after the warranty is up. I just know everyone in my family but me had a razor and ended up having to have them replaced at least once lol.

I really want this phone, don't get me wrong. Maybe I'll just pay the $2/month for the extended warranty just in case it does implode after a year :p

4. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

Yes, I am a little concerned. My last Motorola phone died just after warranty expired(of course), so I had to buy a new phone, at full price, mid contract, pretty much screwed everything up.

I'll probably get the insurance/extended warrenty(whatever they call it) on Droid(if its available??), for a little more peace of mind.

5. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I know how everyone feels about Products gone wrong shortly after the warranty expires.......... I think they do it by purpose just to make us buy another one......... Or it is all purely coincidental it all goes wrong :D

6. cybercruiser

It's that d_mn Murphy and his law!!!

7. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

8. knickerbocker

knickerbocker Well-Known Member

I have had three Motorola phones. My first phone was a simple handset which was really reliable. I then had a Star Tek or whatever it was called, which was great at the time. And then a Rzr like everyone else. I had no problems with my Raze expect that fact that I kept it for three years and it eventually got so beat up that it creaked when I opened it. From the information I have read, the build quality is really solid - so I feel good about it.

9. LxMeister

LxMeister Member

I'm still gonna get the phone insurance / protection plan whatever (even though it's not as awesome as it should be.) $5 a month and $50 deductible beats full retail for a replacement.

10. ggp

ggp Well-Known Member

I also have my concerns about Motorola, but am going for it anyway. If you're on a high enough plan and qualify for vip status, you can upgrade once a year. The warranty lasts that long, so I've got nothing to lose.

@ Meister
    the insurance is now up to 7.99 or something I think, and the deductible is something like $80, unless you still have the old insurance, then that can stay on. But unless you've got total equipment coverage or extended warranty, that only covers it if you damage or lose it. I would suggest the extended warranty, in this case, to allow you to ensure the phone lasts till your next upgrade.

11. Kamilli0n

Kamilli0n Well-Known Member

The only problem I had with Motorola was their software and that is no longer an issue. I've always liked their hardware. I think the Droid will temporarily save Motorola in the cell phone game.

12. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I had a Razr and Razr V3M, neither of which ever had any problems. The thing is the Razr series was the biggest phone and sold like over 10 million units so your gonna hear about problems more then you would a lesser selling model or brand. Look at the iphone forums and whatnot, people are always complaining about dead pixels, dust under the screen, light leakage, hairline cracks and it goes on and on.

13. estobaughn

estobaughn Active Member

I have had a motorola e815 for about the last 5 years. That was one of motorola's best phone. I got great signal on it anywhere. You have to take into account any "cheap" phone from any manufacturer is gonna be..well "cheap". The e815 (which is pretty thick) got squished down into a razor and that made it pretty crappy.

14. zachd

zachd Well-Known Member

I'm not that worried, my V60(who remembers the green screen?..greatest phone ever prior to camera phones!) and my T720 were both great phones and never let me down. When I switched to LG I was getting replacements every 3-5 months, couldn't stand it. I think the build quality looks great and very solid. I'm gonna be babying mine though, that's for sure!

15. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

I am. I had the Razr, and hated it. I swore I'd never buy another Motorola again...but then I saw the Droid.

@CRPercodani It's absolutely laughable to compare the Razr feedback to iPhone feedback. Almost everyone I know who had the Razr, complains about that phone. Everyone I know with the iPhone, love the phone, just not necessarily the (at&t) service.

My concerns won't stop me from getting the Droid, though; I'm diving in head first. :)

16. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I am about 50/50 on Motorola phones. Some of them, especially the older ones, have been great. The Razr was a piece of garbage, but I think that they were manufacturing those things on such a mass scale that quality control went right out the window. However, I will say that most of the phones I have had problems with were the freebies or at the lower price points so that was probably the reason. The biggest problem I have had with almost every Moto phone has been the battery. They burn up to fast and quit holding a charge.

17. zachd

zachd Well-Known Member

That...and the charge ports always use to break or bend, and would stop charging all together! Atleast we don't need to worry about that with the USB connection now.

18. mkibrick

mkibrick Well-Known Member

I still have my husbands old Razr. If I remember correctly the first one he had was crap, but with the vzw coverage, he got a new one from the second run. This one has worked perfectly ever since. The camera even still works despite me dropping it and cracking the glass cover. Both my parents have 2nd run Razrs and love them as do his parents.

Of course, I'm getting rid of it now for the Droid, but that has nothing to do with the phone's reliability. I trust the Motorola brand.

19. kingohearts2005

kingohearts2005 Active Member

The last Motorola phone that had crazy buzz which was the razr v3 was the best selling phone until about 1.5 years ago. So I am not concerned with Motorola being the manufacture. They have held it down for a while.

20. tccoope

tccoope New Member

I completely agree on the proprietary charger and port design on the older Moto phones. I have only ever owned Motorola or LG phones and from my experiences, the Moto phones, overall, were far superior phones to the LG ones. LG's software has been a little more sophisticated and included a few more features, but they've had just an many glitches as any Moto phone I've owned. And, with the exception of the charger/port, my E815 has been the best phone I've ever owned at this point.

I know the Razr had some issues... likely due to the HUGE quantity of the phones that were being produced and they were so thin, there was no protection for them at all, one or two drops on a hard surface an your phone would be gone! Thankfully I never owned one lol.

But other than the Razr, I'm not entirely sure how Moto has gotten such a horrid reputation for their phone quality. I've had numerous friends and family have more issues with their Nokia, LG, Samsung, Sony junk, than any Moto phones they or I have owned. Sometimes word of mouth will spread because of a few issue and make it seem like a company is doing everything wrong. The Droid should be great for Motorola and I'm very excited to be going back to "Hello Moto"... or rather, "Droooid"

21. Nakagaki

Nakagaki Member

I still have a few Motorola Razors in my "Junk Drawer" and they all still turn on and work just fine. I never liked the OS in the Razors but the build quality of *most* Motorola phones seem to be above standard.IMHO of course...

22. zachd

zachd Well-Known Member

Has everybody forgotten about Startac? I mean come on now, the first "true" flip phone on the market, it was reigning champ for years!!!
    [​IMG]

And what about the good ol' microtac? HA
    [​IMG]

23. cybercruiser

You should donate them to your local county women's shelter, and get a receipt. Non-flip phones are a $50 charitable contribution, and flip-phones are $100 contribution.

24. Nakagaki

Nakagaki Member

Very cool, I didn't know that. I will do just that! :)

25. cybercruiser

And they seem to appreciate them alot. Doesn't matter how old they are, so long as they work.