Anyone else dumped TouchFlo and gone to straight android?

Last Updated:

1. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got fed up with slow responses, graphical fripperies that get in the way and occasional incompatibilities and have now dumped the HTC user interfaces as I wasn't using their widgets anyway, that's all you really lose. Even HTC's home app has an annoying "overshoot" for effect when scrolling from one screen to the next, which just gets in the way. Looks nice at first but gets annoying after a week or so. Am now using stock Android and the phone's a lot quicker.

Advertisement
  2. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

So how would you go about doing this??? Can you revert back in case of problems???

3. UnderWhat?

UnderWhat? Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the Hero ROM (and Sense UI) then I agree, I dont understand what the hype is about

4. jdandcoke

jdandcoke New Member

this is my first android and after the astrid/home button problem if started using the original home screen but how do i uninstall touch flo as it boots on startup. thers no uninstall button for it in app manager

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I've turned Sense UI off for now while I get used to the Android platform, and agree that the Hero is noticeably snappier without it. However..... it is a seductive and useful interface if you don't go overboard on the eye-candy.

6. ianr

To switch from TouchFlo to stock android home screen you just go into the applications section of the settings app, scroll down to "TouchFlo", hit "reset defaults" or whatever it is, then press the "home" button. You'll then get a dialogue up asking you which app you want to use, "Home" or "TouchFlo". You can either pick one and keep doing that all the time, or you can hit the "use this as default" tickbox and select the one you want. If you choose "Home" and want to change back again in the future, just go back into the Applications part of Settings and scroll to "Home" and hit "Reset Defaults" and press the Home button to get the dialogue back to allow you to select TouchFlo again. The two home apps use separate data so you can safely try one out without messing up your other one.

I had decided before I got the phone that I'd try Touchflo for a week then switch to stock android for a week and see how I get on and make my mind up in week 2. So far I think I'll stick with stock android as it's much quicker but I'm still getting dreadful phone slowdown without frequent use of TasKiller.

7. franners

franners Well-Known Member

Great tip. Mine dropped into Android after installing dxtop home (to get a memory widget). The prompt you get about the default action for handling this does not suggest you are about to turn Sense off.

8. yabolek

yabolek New Member

How can it be any faster if all the TouchFLO/SenseUI processes are still running in the background? There is no way to uninstall TouchFLO (at least now). You can kill the HTC processes using Advanced Task Manager or Taskiller but from my experience it messes up the phone.

IMO the best possible option is to stick with SenseUI untill the first update is available.

9. ianr

The processes don't use up any CPU if they're not being used, plus the simpler android home screen uses less cpu in actual use, it does make a noticable difference to switch. Also when using taskiller you can see that touchflo etc doesn't even load into memory if it's not being used, but it does get pulled in sometimes if you use an HTC app. It doesn't hang around for long though.

I've now switched back to using touchflow though, I'll oscillate between the two until I find what I want! They've both got their plusses and minuses.

10. Plexus

Plexus Well-Known Member

Hi my fellow androiders (?)
    I don't wanna be pedantic but is'nt TouchFlo the name of HTC UI for win mobile?
    The HTC UI for our Hero should be called "Sense", or what?
    Anyway , I got my Hero , which is also my first Android phone just today, and I guess I did'nt yet get the hang of it, but to me it seems extremely complicated.
    I also have an HTC touchHD (win mob+ TouchFlo) and a Nokia N97 (symbian) andI never had to look at the instructions even once for both phones.
    With the hero I would have looked at the instructions if only they would be included in the bloody box!
    In the end to put music and pics on the Hero I resorted to copy them on the memory card coz I just could not get into the phone storage.
    Im afraid that by disabling the Sense UI all operations would become even more difficult to fathom, is'nt that so?

11. UnderWhat?

UnderWhat? Well-Known Member

Thats how your supposed to put pics on, using the memory card. Why would you want to put your music on the small 512MB internal memory?

Disabling Sense UI goes to the standard android interface

12. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd mention that if you don't like the over shoot effect, scroll with the trackball. It's much easier/faster.