• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone else find the Camera Under Par?

solidkevin

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2009
I dunno, After using the SE Satio and C905, those cameras are MUCH better than this one, Considering those were so great I was positive this one was going to be excellent! Its definitely not bad, but for an 8mp camera its not that great, Its like the W995, it has an 8mp camera on it and its WAY under par, does NOT take good pictures. Anyway Im not really disappointed or anything I just found it a bit under-par, Im willing to bet that the 5mp camera on the Galaxy S will be better than this one, The BEST cameras on cell phones Ive ever used are the Omnia HD and the Satio.

Also Something Ive noticed about all the android phones Ive used, the way they take pictures is.....awkward. Its hard to explain but when I used the satio and C905, they way they took pictures it felt like a real camera, Ive used the Hero, N1, and now X10 and they way they shoot the pics it just doesn't feel the same, again hard to explain without you using so....yea lol.

Totally agree. I am disappointed on three counts:
1. poorer macro and colour balance over my W960i with a 3.2M (+auto focus)
2. it seems hesitant...in starting, options and shooting
worst of all:
3. It regularly crashes the whole phone and after missing the moment I wanted to take a picture of I need to wait for 3mins to reboot. Sometimes it just says 'camera not available' (I think this is when low on battery, i.e. a lot of the time!) but now on at least 3 times a week it just goes black and reboots :(
As ever I cling on to the hope a firmware update will resolve these issues.

Upvote 0
My pictures have improved since I turned image stabilisation on which was off by default

yes, I found all my pic's were blurred and horrible before switch this on. Now it takes great pics :)

Remember this is not a cyber-shot branded camera phone so you can't compare it to premium phones of this kind, including high end Nokias as they have Carl Zeiss lenses

-pup-

Upvote 0
You must not have seen the new model, It has a few upgrades, New Flash and enhanced lens..... LOL

YtBZr5y.jpeg

Upvote 0
I notice someone else has an issue with the camera rebooting their phone.

I have the same thing. When I first use the camera, it works fine. But if I then exit it and then try to use it again, either straight away or a while later, it always causes the phone to reboot. After the reboot, it works again the first time, but will reboot the next time I want to use it.

Is this a common thing? Should I just wait for a new update? Or is it something that only happens to a few phones, in which case, would I be better off exchanging it for a new one? (I'm within my 7 days replacement period).

Upvote 0
I don't think my problem with the camera rebooting the phone is caused by the number of apps because I already use a task killer.

I've been playing around a bit more over the weekend, include resetting the phone.

The camera works fine. I can turn it on and off and on again with out problem, but as soon as I use another application such as Timescape, when I then try and use the camera it either comes up 'camera not available', or it reboots the phone.

I'm guessing it could be a software issue that will hopefully be fixed in a later version. The rest of the phone is fine and as I am not going to be using the camera that much, it's more of an annoyance rather than a 'showstopper'.

Upvote 0
Umm.. TBH, I didn't go with the X10 for it's camera features.
When it comes to imaging, I don't think any mobile can surpass a dSLR nevermind a cheap dedicated point'n'shoot..

Of course you can't compare a mobile phone too a DSLR or even Compact cameras at the moment.

However Nokia are releasing the N8 around september time and that really will be a phone that can rival compact cameras.

Its gonna have:

12MP

Carl Zeiss Lense

The Biggest Sensor in a mobile so far and even bigger than in some compact cameras.

A proper Xenon Flash

28mm Wide Angle Lense

And fast focus and processing times etc.

But for now out of android phones at least then the X10 is the best you can get.

Upvote 0
wooks63,

I've tried to replicate your fault with the camera and I can't!

I've used the camera, timescape the camera again. Both using the camera button and an onscreen icon, solid as a rock!

Have you done the Firmware update yet? I have, so whether that has any bearing....!

If you have it sounds like a fault to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones