Anyone else get a call from Sprint?

Last Updated:

1. Mule Skinner

Mule Skinner Active Member This Topic's Starter

NOTE: For those just joining, the upshot of this thread seems to be that if you want to walk into a store and purchase an Evo tomorrow, your best bet is to make sure it is a Sprint Corporate store.

The non-corporate stores don't always clearly identify themselves as such, so the best way to check is to use Sprint's handy-dandy store locator. A non-corporate store will show up as "Sprint Store by soandso". A corporate store will be just "Sprint Store".

Much thanks to HeyEng for the info.

I got a call from my Sprint Store yesterday asking me if I'd consider giving up my EVO registration for a $40 credit from Sprint. They would instead ship me the phone sometime next week. I'm wondering if anyone else got this call?

I've waited so long already, (basically since Jan 1) it was tempting to take the $40 and the extra week. However, I have family reasons why I need it done before Saturday (involving my son, a choir trip, and a broken phone), so I had to say "no".

It sounds to me like they probably had so many reservations that they are worried there will be no phones available for walk-ins tomorrow.

Advertisement
  2. susandennis

susandennis Member

Very interesting, Mule Skinner. Where is the store that called you?

I'll be a walk-in so I'm hoping everyone else takes the $40!

3. Mule Skinner

Broken Arrow, OK (Tulsa suburb).

If they are having trouble here, I'd worry. You might need to call around at the absolute least.

4. vkdroid

vkdroid Well-Known Member

Whoa, that's pretty interesting. Maybe that store got swamped or had some sort of mix-up?

5. Mule Skinner

She was talking like corporate HQ was asking her to do it. The $40 "bribe" I was getting was with Sprint (corporate), not the store, and they were supposedly going to ship me a unit straight from manufacturing.

My guess is that they got worried they might not have been able to ship enough units for tomorrow, and are trying to use us pre-orders to buy a bit of time until they can make some more phones. After all the advertising, if nobody can walk in and buy a phone tomorrow, they may end up with some upset customers. BB may even use the opportunity to sell those folks HD2's or Droids instead.

That is why I'm curious if anyone else got this same call. That would comport w/ my theory.

Worse would be if this is some kind of tip of a huge manufacturing problem iceberg.

6. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

This type of thing is exactly why I wait on all of my purchases; Let everyone else discover all of the problems, let the tidal wave die down, then enjoy a slightly less headache ridden day with what ever it was i was buying.

7. vkdroid

vkdroid Well-Known Member

Well hopefully there are no defects ... and that it's just a (potential) shortage because there's so much demand.

8. flip603

flip603 Well-Known Member

didn't realize sprint stores did pre-orders...

9. zeux6

zeux6 Well-Known Member

true that....so true...I'm waiting a week myself.

10. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

Me either WTF? I am going to be a walk-in.

11. Carioca_FL

Carioca_FL Member

They don't, so I'm interested to hear more details from the OP.

12. HeyEng

HeyEng Well-Known Member

I am assuming that it is probably an "authorized dealer" who thought they would get a mess load of phones and did a bunch of "pre orders" and now that they aren't, they are shitting themselves. Corporate stores have done NO PRE-ORDERS.

13. Mule Skinner

It's not a pre-order per se.

It is more like I have an Evo reserved with them. I didn't pay a dime, they just took my name and contact info down.

I'm guessing they do this a lot, as I just walked in to talk to them about the phone the day of its initial announcement. The owner said to another employee "I guess we should start a list". He then told me he was putting me at the top of their list.

When I asked what that meant, he said I'd have an Evo reserved, and they'd call me when it is in and I can come pick it up.

At first I thought it was like a the BB "reservation" that I'd been hearing about where they'd call us in one at a time. However according to the lady I talked to yesterday, I just have to walk in sometime after they open tomorrow (at 8) and pick it up.

That's about all I know.

14. dvrcowboy

dvrcowboy Active Member

I got the call in Castle Rock,Co.They didn't do pre orders but they made a "list of those interested". their list was close to 70 they received 20 units looks like I'm rolling the dice

Mule Skinner likes this.
  15. Mule Skinner

I'm #3 on my list (how two people got ahead of me when they made the list when I came in, I leave as an exercise to the reader). So I figure I'm safe as long as they get any units at all.

16. HeyEng

HeyEng Well-Known Member

Again, is this a CORPORATE STORE or an AUTHORIZED RETAILER? I have yet to hear of ANY corporate store doing any lists at all.

17. avengence

avengence Well-Known Member

+1

I doubt it is a corporate store since they all would be doing it if it was.

18. Mule Skinner

I'm not real good at the difference, but I think they may be something in-between. They show up on Sprint's store finder (#7) as "Sprint Store by FreedomCom".

I like going to them because they are the closest place to my office that does repair work. I have two children with phones, so I'm a familiar face there...

All the logos on everything there shows nothing but Sprint. However, their business cards all say "Sprint"(logo) in the upper right, but "Freedom Communications" in the data area.

19. SSEiYah

SSEiYah New Member

I'm in Oklahoma city and am number 1xx at best buy on Rockwell and I-40

Mine is supposed to arrive next Wednesday. I went in to preorder at 2 different stores, first at a one sprint store, then to another...neither were coporate stores. Neither of them knew how many they were getting, both had pre-order lists. They offered to put me on the list but with no guarantee. I went to best buy and they DONT do the rebate thing so I preordered with them.

Mule Skinner likes this.
  20. HeyEng

HeyEng Well-Known Member

If it's "Sprint by....XXX" then it's an authorized retailer. They will MOST LIKELY have less than 20 available for purchase.

The BEST BET for NO pre-orders is a CORPORATE STORE.

Mule Skinner likes this.
  21. avengence

avengence Well-Known Member

How many does each corporate store get? I am going to the corporate store near my house tomorrow morning at 6am but I hope there isnt a huge line. I just tried calling them and you cant even get through.

22. HeyEng

HeyEng Well-Known Member

To figure out if it's a CORPORATE STORE...go to the Sprint Store Locator. It will list the stores. If it has Sprint Store By WHOEVER, then it's NOT A CORPORATE store. In the attached image, store 1,3,5 are corporate stores.

Attached Files:

Mule Skinner likes this.
  23. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Just hope Sprint doesn't have the same huge backorder like Verizon is with the Incredible ;)

24. HeyEng

HeyEng Well-Known Member

The ones I talked to...(not all would fess up), it's about 50. The authorized retailers are getting less than 20 in most cases. I have heard as few as 7...but not sure how much truth there is to that.

25. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

??? I thought Sprint stores were not taking pre orders ???