Anyone else get an email from Verizon re: upgrade?General

Last Updated:

1. willdogs

willdogs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm only One year into my "New Every Two"

I just got an email from verizon last night inviting me to upgrade early! :confused:

I wonder if they are trying to flush out Eris owners knowing its a crappy phone or what?

I can get the Droid 2 for $149 / D2 Global for $199
    Droid Inc for $149
    Droid X for $199

Etc....

Of course I have to extend my contract for 2 more years.

Tempting... But I want to see what new phones come out for 2011 and 4G.

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I haven't received an email like that.
    Personally I'm OK with having to go for another 2 year contact if doing an early upgrade. I've been with Verizon for lots of years now (over 15, probably close to 20) I really can't see me changing to another carrier for any reason.

3. willdogs

I have no problem with another contract either. My only issue is that phones are coming out so often now.... I don't know when to jump on one. I dont want to get stuck with a phone when a superior one comes out a month later :(

4. Stagnation

Stagnation Well-Known Member

I got the same email.

4G is coming out soon. VZW is probably trying to clear out some stock so they don't get stuck with too many old phones.

5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I seem to recall that they send that email to me every time that I am exactly one year into a new two year contract. They did with my last phone, anyway.

Well, I'll know for sure in about 10 days.

6. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

if you havea two year contract, you can upgrade after one year to another two year contract getting the phone at two year price. its something they don't like to tell you.

7. mburdick

mburdick Well-Known Member

Is this true for somebody who isn't the primary line on a family plan?

8. willdogs

For what its worth, I have two lines on my plan but verizon is offering an upgrade only on the primary line (mine)

9. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

No email like that for me. Not that I'm looking to upgrade now, though. I think before I decide I want an upgrade I want to see what new phone are coming out in Q1 of this coming year.

10. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

HTC Incredible HD (or Mecha?) with 4G! that's what I'm waiting for

11. wichita6

wichita6 Well-Known Member

I did two days ago.

12. Scynthetic78

Scynthetic78 Well-Known Member

+1

13. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I suppose I could upgrade. But I'm going to wait for awhile to see what new phones are coming. Especially with those dual-core phones in the near future....

14. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

I would like to upgrade (receiving my 5th Eris on Tuesday :/) but then again I think I better hold off since 4G just rolled out, there will be some kick butt phones just around the horizon...proof of which is in the email's they are sending and the discounts of their phones, trying to clear out the old and bring in the new.

15. gridbug

gridbug Well-Known Member

Still happy with my little old Eris... does everything I need it to and can't beat the small form factor. Once my 2year is up (November 2011) the current gen phones will be a worthwhile upgrade.

:)

16. mburghdorf

mburghdorf Member

Sure did and I ordered the Droid X ... should be arriving tomorrow :D

17. Eric2

Eric2 Well-Known Member

I got that e-mail, too, but I'm going to wait. Anyone considered switching to i-phone?

18. greenmunky

greenmunky Well-Known Member

HTC says their first LTE phones wouldn't be out until 2nd half of 2011... I was hoping for January our February, kinda disappointing.

19. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I may. It's not like I have a ton of money invested in apps, I use Macs and iTunes (and an iPod) for everything anyway. The only thing is that there are somethings about Android that I prefer, and I have an iPod Touch 4G anyway, so it seems as if that would be redundant with an iPhone. Android phones do not make it redundant, that's for sure.

20. willdogs

This whole LTE thing.... Got me thinking.... Is it really worth the Money?

I mean I often use Wifi For my Eris and my Droid Pro at home and my wifi connection is normally tested at 23-25MBPS down and 5-6 MBPS up. Faster than LTE.

It doesn't seem THAT much faster to me over the 3G connection. I mean, it's a phone. How much faster do I need the connection to be?

To each his own I guess.. .but if Verizon is going to charge the same $50 for 5 Gig on their 4G smartphones, I will def stay with 3G.

21. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It really doesn't matter much to me, but it will be important for people who want things like video on demand and reliable VOIP to handsets (not that VZW is that interested in providing a pipe to reliable VOIP...)

Modem pricing is different from smartphone pricing right now with 3G - $60 per month on contract for modems (and a 5 GB cap), vs. $30 a month unlimited (no cap) for smartphones. I'm willing to bet that VZW changes things up with LTE, to have unlimited at a higher price and caps at the same or lower price, but we'll see.

FWIW, I really doubt that you are pulling 23-25 mbps down on the Eris. I'm not sure that the Eris can handle that much data - though, of course, LTE phones will be different.

22. MisterMcGoo

MisterMcGoo Well-Known Member

I didn't get an e-mail, but I called to complain about all the dropped calls that I get (on my 3rd Eris Device) and they said I could upgrade. I'm getting the Droid X tomorrow. Glad I'll have something I can finally type on. The Eris keyboard is way too small for me.

23. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I'm two days into year two, but still no email for me.

Which is fine, actually; if I do upgrade early, I'm going to wait until they have better choices than they do now (unless my Eris spits the bit before then.)

24. bfriskey

bfriskey Member

When you receive your pretty new phone with all the un removable crapware You'll be singing a different tune..Good luck..I hope you chose wisely and refuse a crapware filled phone..These carriers have zero loyalty, YOU OWE THEM NOTHING
    I do admit they seem to have some of the best coverage, it ends there..4g coming soon, network SLOW, Bing mandatory. READ all the posts, get your new phone let us know after you have a RECENT experience.Thanks,

25. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

As far as I know, Bing is only mandatory on some of the non-DROID brand phones (i.e., only the Fascinate at this point.) I agree that it's disappointing. I believe that the Fascinate is rooted, so that takes care of that problem - just as rooting the Eris (which came far later to us than rooting came to the Fascinate) took care of Peep, Amazon MP3, Teeter, and Stocks and allowed a phone that didn't choke with a large collection of messages or a large call log.

And, once 2.2 comes to the Fascinate you'll be able to install Google Voice Search and get Google search back, so there's that.

I'd love a full Google experience phone on Verizon myself (I mean other than the Moto Droid), but I actually need Verizon more than I need that. T-Mobile, AT&T - they don't work in many of the places that I go. I honestly have no complaints with Verizon's 3G service or speed.

BoBiGi likes this.