Anyone else get new T-Mo WAP settings today?

Last Updated:

1. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm in Maryland, but I'm still only getting ~930Kb down and 330Kb up. I was originally on the $10/mo "web2go" plan, which was good for 3Mb down and 2Mb up in Philadelphia's "upgraded" network. I started my non-contract plan when I got my 900 in Dec., and was connecting to the Internet2.voicestream.com APN.

I was concerned that my traffic was routed through somewere in Kansas, per speedtest.net, while I'm in Maryland. T-mobile changed my web service to "smartphone", but I was then able to access all the APNs (epc.tmobile.com, WAP.voicestream.com, etc), but again, my download speeds still at ~1Mb.

I woke up this morning with a message that my carrier has new WAP settings for me. The Connection name changed from T-Mobile Internet to

Connection Name: WAP Settings

APN: epc.tmobile.com

Proxy (never had one before): 216.155.165.50:8080

...however "use proxy" is not checked.

Anyone else get any updates from T-Mo recently?

Advertisement
  2. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i got nothing in the way of messages or updates

3. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

I have a smartphone, Samsung Behold II, and yes that is the network setting I have. So thats probably just what happened. Change in plan, phone gets updated.

4. colnago

Fair enough. But while I was on the phone with tech support, they changed my plan, and I was immediately able to access the internet through all (3) APNs. I had to manually set the phone to epc.tmobile.com to get it to work. I had changed it back to the internet2.voicestream.com, just for testing purposes. However the issue is that I received an "over the air update a week later"...now with a previously unseen "proxy address"?

5. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

But does it really matter? The use proxy option was set to off. Same for my phone as well, though it does not include the proxy ip.

6. colnago

Well given that the "word on the street" was that 7Mb is being rolled out accross the country (end of '09), I'm just trying to get a handle on what/when is going on. As far as the APN names, it matters "for me" because the Internet2 APN has my traffic routing out somewhere in the middle of the country. epc APN is "closer" to my area on the east coast...big difference in latency. Again, the proxy address "addition" and the connection name "change" were pushed out OTA.

7. mr-zee

mr-zee Active Member

still waiting for my hero but my outgoing sms settings and my voicemail were updated on my MDA today. Had a real 'mare and couldn't use my phone for most of today.

8. colnago

I just did a speed test at speedtest.net (vs. www.speakeasy.net/speedtest), and its finally showing my as being in the proper state (Maryland, instead of New Jersey). This with the epc.tmobile.com, still not using "proxy". Speeds are still ~800-900Kb down, 200-350Kb up...getting closer.

:)