anyone else getting issues re-connecting after losing reception?Support

Last Updated:

1. chauzer

chauzer New Member This Topic's Starter

sometimes if i go into a building or underground or an elevator i lose reception, but then once i get back to an area where i should have reception, it stays disconnected saying no network. i end up having to restart the phone
    phone
    to get reception again. [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. hllwyh

hllwyh Active Member

Well not exactly, but I will loose connection and then when I reconnect I only access edge. I have to restart to get back to 3G. It seems to me it should always switch to 3G when available. I may have had your issue once, but that's it. My issue is the old edge/3g issue.

3. NexusMMM

NexusMMM Well-Known Member

This occasionally happens to me after being on the subway for a while. You don't have to restart though -- just toggle "Airplane" mode on then off and it will bring the radio back up. It happened a lot pre update1, but seems to have been fixed as it's only happened to me once since then.

4. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

My experience is different. When I get stuck with "No Service", toggling airplane mode doesn't help -- it stays with "No Service" until I power-cycle the phone. Also, I'm not sure I ever experienced the problem before update-1, but it has certainly happened several times since then.

I had a suspicion that it might be related to NetCounter -- that NetCounter was trying to update its statistics while I was in or entering a dead spot and that there was a (presumably tiny) window of time where that would cause something to deadlock and hang. I uninstalled NetCounter a few days ago and haven't had the situation recur since then, but that's far from conclusive, since it only happened on average once or twice a week anyway, so it could very well be that I've just been lucky so far. If it happens again, I'll try to remember to update this thread. (On the other side of the ledger, I posted my experience over on xda-developers.com, and the one person who seemed to be having similar problems said that he/she was not using NetCounter, so it's likely that either NetCounter isn't involved or there are other apps that could also trigger the issue.)

5. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

Definitely not NetCounter, I uninstalled that a few weeks ago and I had the problem happen to me on Sunday.

6. rori

rori Well-Known Member

I have this problem only with Wifi..:(..doesnt reconnect.

7. Rix

Rix Banned

I have the problem reconnecting to 3g once its lost its connection. The quickest way to fix it is to turn on airplane mode then turn it off again.

8. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

This sort of thing is so hard to pin down because there are different problems that have the same symptoms (I'm just about positive that the problem Rix and NexusMMM had, where toggling airplane mode restores service, is a fundamentally different issue from the one I had where toggling airplane mode doesn't help), and multiple applications could be causing the same problem. (I still haven't had the problem since deleting NetCounter. The fact that oniongirl still does have the problem after deleting NetCounter could just mean that there's another problematic app besides NetCounter that she has installed and I don't -- or it could be that I'm still just in a lucky phase and I'll have the problem again this afternoon or tomorrow or next week.)

9. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

I have a mate with a Nexus One, he has very few apps installed (I will try and find out which) and he has the same problem as rori in that when he uses wi-fi and then disconnects, it won't reconnect to the mobile network without a power cycle. It only happens if Wi-Fi has been on for a while so I can't test the aeroplane mode yet, but I will get him to test and let you know.

10. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

It appears that I was just in a lucky period, because I've had this happen to me three or four times over the last few days (after going more than a week without an occurrence after I deleted NetCounter). I've found that if I turn on airplane mode and then turn it off again, I don't reconnect -- but after a minute or so, the phone spontaneously reboots! The same thing happens if I try to power down using the top switch -- the circular arrow stops spinning after a while and a minute or so later, the phone reboots instead of powering down.

It may well have to do with wifi, as I leave mine on nearly all the time. Whatever the cause, it is very annoying, and I hope a future update will fix it.

11. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Prior to root I had this happen quite frequently. Haven't had it happen since. Not sure if running a different radio image packaged with the rom has something to do with it...

12. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

That's encouraging news. I'm not quite ready to root yet, but presumably the updated radio is something that will eventually appear in an OTA update for the stock ROM. Thanks for the info.

13. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Understanable. Its a bit scary at first. However if you start thinking about it rationally, no one sends their phone in for software issues, its always hardware. Since the hardware warranty continues, its a no brainer at that point, imho

14. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

It's not the warranty issue, it's that I don't have time at the moment to do the research, make backups, etc., to deal with recovering from the screwups I'm very likely to make in the process -- I'm quite talented at finding previously unknown ways to inject errors into the process! :) I usually manage to recover from the mistakes, but that takes time that is in very short supply right now. In a month or two, maybe...

15. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

It actually seems to be a system wide issue, and has been from the get go. We did aq test with my hero and if I leave my wi-fi on for about 90 min or more, when I disconnect I don't get 3G signal back (I can make calls an texts, but that's it) and a power cycle fixes it. My hero is still on 1.5

16. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

The case that I'm seeing is more severe than that: I have zero bars and an "x" in the signal-strength icon, and I can't do anything that requires a cellular connection. If I search for service providers, I get none (I normally see both T-Mobile and AT&T). The radio just acts as if it'd dead until I reboot.

17. CyberDroid

CyberDroid Well-Known Member

Any updates to report in 5 days?

18. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

Happened to me on Friday. Didn't realize it until I discovered I hadn't received any calls or texts after coming back into town from being out of range for a while. I couldn't even reboot my phone, I had to pull the battery to fix it.

....my opinion of Android gets lower everyday.

19. DannStarr

DannStarr Active Member

I had this problem back in the days of my G1, really put a downer on the phone for me. Like you, switching to/fom plane mode didn't fix it.

My nexus one doesn't appear to suffer it, and I do have net counter installed

20. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

As I said in another thread, I live in a poor signal area. I constantly see no signal, one bar and 2 bars but the N1 reconnects OK.