Anyone else getting terrible reception?General

Last Updated:

1. abadgti

abadgti Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I at home or at work I usually get between 3-4 bars on 3g with my Droid. With the Incredible I'm going between one bar on 3g to 1x. Anybody else having the same issue? I hope I don't regret getting rid of my Droid. :confused:

Advertisement
  2. crspyjohn

crspyjohn Well-Known Member

yes, the same issue here. i might return it on monday if this is a widespread issue

3. DMP84

DMP84 Active Member

Same here I never hit anything past 2 bars... coming from an LG Dare was always at full bars... stinks

4. lukem

lukem Well-Known Member

Are you paying attention to the actual reception or just the bars it is showing? I read somewhere that the bar status may not be accurate but you actually have decent reception. There was some way of seeing the actual # you were connected at. I'll try to look for that post.

Personally I've had great reception so far. I normally get horrible reception in my house but last night it wasn't bad at all.

5. cdd543

cdd543 Well-Known Member

Bars are lower, but my actual signal(dbm's) is the same as my tour. There are a couple threads about this already I believe.

6. axel_2078

axel_2078 Well-Known Member

If the bars aren't an actual depiction, they how do you know when you are really on 3G vs 1x?

7. Lefort1

Lefort1 Well-Known Member

I think as others have mentioned, it's a software issue. Mine shows 2 bars but I have perfectly clear calls. 3G speed is blazzzzing!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically I think the phone is reporting 2bars but its actually as strong as normal

8. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I can have no bars and have not dropped a call yet and reception is crystal clear. Not worried ;)

9. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

mine has lower bars but I've had no problems at all. and my speed on the 3G is WAYY better than the Eris

10. storm14k

storm14k Well-Known Member

I think you'd know by how fast things are downloading for you. ;)

It does appear that the bars are incorrect. I'm able to talk just fine with no drops. This evening I'll have the chance to do my normal talk radio streaming and see how much better the Verizon service is than T-Mo. I just couldn't stand all the drops right in the middle of something I really wanted to hear.

11. Lefort1

Lefort1 Well-Known Member

Same here...well actually my reception (settings->network) is 1dB lower than before with AT&T and my BB Bold 9000.

[note, lower dBs = better reception]

It's DEFINITELY a software issue. Hardware's working perfectly

12. CyberVike

CyberVike Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm at work and my old BB Curve had 4-5 bars. I've hovering around 2 bars right now.

13. DMP84

DMP84 Active Member

I am not familiar at all with dBm even tried searching but on the phone status shows -92 dBm, any idea how good or bad this is?

Thanks.

14. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

You guys are funny. Go ahead and return it i dare ya. I have exactly the same signal quality as i did with my eris when running os 2.1. Its the os, trust me your signal is just fine. Check the db not the bars on the top of the screen.

15. heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn Well-Known Member

My bars are lower but signal is better. Don't trust the bars.

16. ruddogg

ruddogg Well-Known Member

the bars are lower...but reception & 3G is fine...

17. CyberVike

CyberVike Well-Known Member

I have no intention of returning mine but past experience using my BB Curve told me if you have 2 bars your one bar away from a real crappy connection so seeing this phone with 2 bars that would be my first assumption. However, I trust your judgments that it's not as bad as my Incredible tells me it is. :)

18. XxICEMAN720xX

XxICEMAN720xX Well-Known Member

moral of the story - bars lie

19. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member

I disagree with most of the above posts.

About the bars, the above posts are accurate.

But if your phone is switching between 1X and 3G, that's a problem, regardless whether it's showing 1 bar or 10 bars. My phone switches between 1X and 3G as well, but my old phone did the same thing, so I have no reason to suspect the Incredible is any worse with this.

20. crashdogy

crashdogy Well-Known Member

Bars are low, 1-2 perfectly clear calls. 3G speed is good. Did drop one call but have had same problem with my BB strom in that building.

21. abadgti

abadgti Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm at 101db with one bar of 3g. Is that good?

22. cdd543

cdd543 Well-Known Member

bars can be calibrated to say whatever...-80db =2 bars, -70=3 bars.
    My iphone -90=4 or 5 bars:)

23. gajenn108

gajenn108 Member

i just got my phone a couple of hours ago, my main concern was reception as im 7 miles from the closest tower..its 2-3 bars but call clarity seems better than the lg dare i had..downloads are pretty fast and it feels totally solid in hand...I'm in Love....

24. Jaguox

Jaguox Active Member

My Storm shows 5 bars at -80dB, and the Inc shows 1 bar at -65dB. It shows 2 bars at -73dB. So, how do we fix the bars to show an accurate signal strength?

25. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Going from 3g to 1x is not good. You would definitely notice the difference though in speed when surfing the internet. 1x is really really slow. So, if you're really having poor reception and dropping to 1x, you'll notice a significant decrease in speed. My old xv6800 had this problem where it would sometimes drop to 1x. The web browser would just time out and stop loading.

I think for most of us though, 3g reception is not the issue despite what the bars tells us. I know for me my internet has been blazing fast.