Anyone else getting the "call quality creep"?Support

Last Updated:

1. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Inc worked well for about the first-ish month. I sometimes had "muddy" call quality and the caller would drop in and out (to the point I thought they hung up, but I would start hearing them again). I attributed this to the caller's device/network and not my device.

I went from noticing this just a few times, to almost all calls have the problem now, to some degree. It does not matter if using the ear or external speaker. GPS through the speaker is perfectly clear and so is playing movies and music.

This suggest it is not an audio output problem, but an actual voice call problem. It is getting so bad that I am beginning to dislike the Inc, since phone calls are obviously a critical function of the device. Everything else works fine.

Advertisement
  2. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

It's a carrier/reception issue. The phone is weak on signal strength, and even at the same location the strength of nearby towers can wax and wane. I don't know why, but I know they do from personal experience.

3. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First of all, you have me thinking of the Deftones song about Wax and Wane (remake of a Gary Numan song);)

I have the problem, even when less than 70dBm or 100dBm. I was thinking the signal level was an issue, but same result, regardless of signal strength. The *228 refresh does not help and my Inc is set as CDMA & PRL, so set up correctly (same settings out of the box).

Signal seems decent, since I get 3G even in the lower ground level where I work. A lot of folks have to go outside to even make a call. Well, At&t folks do.

4. upther

upther Well-Known Member

Nope. I had that issue with my friend who was on MetroPCS and thankfully she has now switched to AT&T so things are much better. I don't talk on the phone a lot but I really don't seem to have issues. It's certainly a lot better than my last AT&T phone that was so bad I had to sit in one spot in the house to hold a conversation.

5. Trojita

Trojita Active Member

I noticed the same thing as well on my original and new replacement Incredible....

It seemed to get worse with time for me as well.

6. andrewzpsu

andrewzpsu Well-Known Member

I have noticed it with full bars on a call to my mom on the land line and then calling her back on her mobile... Figured there was something up... Wonder if it has anything to do with my random reboots.

7. bearaids

bearaids Member

Have you tried this?

(Source: XDADeveloperWiki - HTC_Incredible)

Improved Call Quality for Incredible

Thank you: ejhart - Improved Call Quality for Incredible - xda-developers
    Go to Phone and Dial ##778
    Choose Edit Mode
    Password is 000000
    Go to CDMA Settings
    Scroll all the way to bottom
    Change Home Page, Home Orig, and Roam Orig from EVRC to EVRC-B
    Hit Menu and Commit Changes
    Phone reboots and walla no more muffed voice calls!
    enjoy your uber phone.
    Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B : Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*** Not Supported in all areas (Unable to call out)[/INDENT]