Anyone else have a week back button randomly?Support

Last Updated:

1. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ugh.... Have had this phone for just a couple hours and as I was getting it set up I noticed that the back button started acting up. Randomly the haptic feedback on it is weak, only about half strength. Anyone else have this problem? Should I exchange it?

Advertisement
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

If its genuinely defective yes absolutely exchange it. Spend a minute making sure its actually defective of course

3. Gink

The problem is that it's not consistent. It happens once every 10-15 presses or so but the vibe is almost non-existant now when it does happen. Just wondered if this was a known issue or if it's just me - I seem to have rotten luck with cell phones sometimes.

4. mastamoon

mastamoon Member

Mine has this "issue" also.. I think its due to the software laginess of the phone though, not so much the hardware. I will have to do multiple presses on a button which dont translate to anything on screen.. then after a few seconds.. all of the commands happen. So its like the phone is picking them up.. but the OS just cant keep up sometimes.

Come on FROYO!

5. Gink

I have that problem occasionally too but the weak vibe is what's bugging me. I can understand a bit of software lagginess but I don't expect a brand new phone to have HW issues. Are you vibes weak too or just laggy?

6. mastamoon

mastamoon Member

I have felt a week vibe here n there, but usually corresponds to this button lag also.. Either a weak vibe or nothing when the phone is "locked" up.

Really like the phone.. minor annoyances are a shame.

7. Gink

Hmmm. Not sure what to do about a replacement then.

If someone knew for sure that this is just a SW bug then I'd be content to deal with it until the update comes.... If it's HW I'd just as soon get it replaced ASAP.

8. Gink

I just called Best Buy to discuss this issue - seems like something they've heard before. He said to bring it back and they'll swap it for me. I think that's what I'm gonna do.

9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Good move. If the second one has the same issue for you, you're either unlucky or its literally a you issue. :p All jokes aside I cannot say I can confirm the problem you were experiencing on mine. Hopefully your replacement is trouble free

10. Gink

Thanks saps, I just hope the replacement doesn't have any other issues. *crosses fingers*

11. glroze

glroze Well-Known Member

i think it's lag, my vibrant does the same thing as my fascinate.....you sit there hammering on the back button and nothing happens for a few seconds, then all of a sudden the os will catch up to all the button presses, lol, and you've backed completely out of whatever you were doing....especially noticeable when you've just gone back 5 pages in the browser.

12. Gink

Wanted to update this thread....

I took the phone back to Best Buy Monday night. As I was waiting for a CSR to exchange my device I wiped the phone. When it booted back up I was not able to duplicate the weak vibe issue when pressing the back button. I played with it for a good 10 minutes and it never happened in the store. The CRS guys suggested that perhaps a wipe fixed it and I would be good to go.

Well, lo and behold, after setting everything up again the weak vibe on the back button is back. It has even happened a couple of times with the menu button. It's totally intermittent but if I go into my email and then into one of my email inboxes I can usually duplicate it.

I get that it could be a SW issue but I just don't see anyone else mentioning it here on the boards and that leads me to wonder if I just have a bum device. Or maybe you all have haptic feedback turned completely off?

What do you guys think? Take it back and show them again before I wipe the device or deal with it until 2.2 comes?

13. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I've tested this many times. It turns out that I was moving too fast to use the back button; a pause of about a full second or two prior to the first press of the back soft key and the issue went away, and I've not seen it since using that method.

14. Gink

I will test this theory, Frisco. Thanks.

Just to clarify, this is not a lag or a hesitation of the device...I have that with some of the other buttons. This is a physically weak vibration when the button "engages." 70% of the time it's fine, the other 30% is weak. I guess if it's a software issue then I'm just surprised I'm the only one noticing.

15. Gink

Okay Frisco...

I just went into my K9 email. Opened one of my accounts. Waited about 3 seconds and hit the back button. I could barely feel it. Like I said....I don't think this has anything to do with trying to move too quickly or typical device lag.

16. Gink

I just tried it with another application - same thing.:(

17. Frisco

I still can't replicate it, Gink.

I remember the day I was testing the device before I left the store (my habit after purchase, to use it for a bit after some configuration here and there prior to walking out with it) I found the little buzz to be weak or not there at all if I went too fast on the soft keys.

So I slowed down just a bit and as I say, no issue. I tested that a few more times over the days of first having the Fascinate. The pause is only about a full second between back to back movements coming out of the browser, for example.

It sounds like you have a different issue, and those who are advising you to have it looked at are right, if it's a deal breaker for you.

Gink likes this.
  18. Gink

Thanks Frisco. I just wanted to make sure it was a legit issue before I took it back to BB again. They all snickered at me on Monday and teased me about it since I couldn't replicate it after a wipe. (Is that cuz I'm a girl? I dunno....) Anyway, I certainly don't want that to happen again. Sounds like this issue is unique to my device.

I can replicate it reliably now by going into OI File Manager. I just open it up, wait a second and then hit the back key. You can barely feel it. It's not a huge deal but I'm a bit OCD about this kind of stuff. If I pay that much for a new device I want it to work right. KWIM?

19. Frisco

If it's happening in only one or two apps, I'd have a look at what's going on in the background of those apps and whatever services have to run for those in particular.

Perhaps a simple reconfiguration or replacement of those apps would do the trick.