anyone else have calibration problems with the compass?General

Last Updated:

1. L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm just wondering if this is normal:

I can go into an app like Google Maps and drop down into streetview with the compass view enabled. I'll see that the view will really only point one way and jerk around that one direction as I move it around. I'll then calibrate the compass using the figure 8 method and then street view will work properly.

If I then exit back to the home screen and load up say LAYAR I'll have the same problem. The compass will point in one direction and jerk around it until it's recalibrated again.

It's more of an annoyance really as I basically have to recalibrate it every time I open up an app that uses it. Just wondering if others are having this issue. I've talked to a few iphone friends and other than the occasional recalibration they don't seem to have this issue.

Advertisement
  2. oz90630

oz90630 Active Member

I have tried several compass apps and none of them seem work consistently. The north point changes by as much 180 degrees in my unit.
    I visited Verizon and they showed me one other Eris that behaved as poorly.
    The lady behind the counter stated that perhaps the forthcoming updates will fix the issue.
    Oz

3. L0stS0ul

I struggled with this for about 2 weeks before I stopped in at the Verizon store. I tried one of the display units and when it did not have the problem I exchanged for a new one. My new eris now has no issues with the compass. I calibrated it once and it has held. I would exchange yours as well. It isn't normal.

4. oz90630

oz90630 Active Member

What compass app do you use to discern functionality?
    I use com.apksoftware.compass
    Oz

5. L0stS0ul

I use the GPS Status app.

6. Garick

Garick Active Member

hmm, my compass loses calibration frequently too. How do we know if its time to exchange the phone?

7. L0stS0ul

my new phone has held calibration since the first time I calibrated it. If it's loosing calibration frequently I would return it