• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone else have GPS/Navigation issues?

I got my Droid X on July 19th. It seems to work very well apart for some issues with GPS/Navigation. After about 1 week, the GPS quit working. I let it search for the satellites for an hour outside and it would not find them. I pulled the battery, put it back in and since then, it has been finding satellites no problem. It has only been 5 days or so since I pulled the battery, so we'll see how it goes. I have a trip coming up where I will need navigation.

Today, I did a voice search for an address and while it interpreted my voice perfectly, it hung up on "calculating route" (or whatever it says). I finally gave up and hit the back button. I restarted the voice search but then it would not come up at all. Hit back and tried again but this time the voice detection part of it locked up. Android popped up a message, allowing me to wait or force quit. I made it quit. Restarted nav, did a text search but it got hung up on trying to find the route.

I ran my task killer and stopped everything, restarted nav and everything worked as normal. While it was navigating, the nav program unexpectedly stopped and put me back at the desktop. I started it again and it all worked for the rest of the trip. I did a voice search to nav back home and it all worked fine.

I am curious if anyone else is having any troubles?

Thanks

Jayme mentioned getting rid of the task killer. I thought that was a joke until I did a search for it. Seems like others have had problems.

I am using Advanced Task Killer and it appears this is what Motorola/VZW will suggest gets uninstalled if there are problems. I went ahead and removed ATK. Immediately I noticed that my phone is a little snappier (could be my imagination though).

I did a voice search at least 10 times in a row and it worked each time. Well... it didn't always understand me but at least it didn't crash.

I am going to be using it heavily over the next 5 days. I will report back on how it is doing now that ATK has been uninstalled.

Upvote 0
How do you guys keep the phone from going into sleep? I thought, this was the whole point of launching CarDock app or Navigation taking care of it, but my phone still turns off the screen happily, even though it is connected to a car charger.

Of course, there's also an issue of Google Maps switching from navigation to a list view of directions, but there's a whole separate thread about it. For now I just want the phone to stay on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones