Anyone else having problems with low volume from ear speaker?Support

Last Updated:

1. slivingston

slivingston Member This Topic's Starter

Good morning everyone. I received my brand new G2 yesterday and I love it! But when I get calls, the volume in the ear speaker is fairly low. I turned up the volume all the way but to no avail:confused: Any suggestions other than getting a hearing aid (im 25 yoa).

Advertisement
  2. loki714

loki714 New Member

yes same problem for me too

3. WarBird87

WarBird87 Well-Known Member

i also got the same problem... most of the time i cant even hear anyone on the other side...

4. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

same here and thought it was just me not lining my ear up correctly haha.

5. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

Mine does have rather low volume. Not so much as to be a problem, and perhaps it's not that noticeable as I tend to have accute hearing. Yet that said, it is less than my other smartphones.

I'm sure if it's an issue, HTC will release a software update. I've had several HTC smartphones and been very happy with update deliveries.

6. alejovh1

alejovh1 Well-Known Member

you guys may have a defective unit, I also have hearing problems but my phone's volume is great. I returned way too may phones because of that issue, I need one that is loud enough for me. I would suggest taking it backto tmo and see if they exchange it

7. Ceiling Fan

Ceiling Fan Member

I found that I have to change where I hold it.
    If I hold it a little lower than I normally would I can hear just fine.

8. eligolfer

eligolfer Member

Same hear, the sound is too low.

9. WarBird87

WarBird87 Well-Known Member

looks like the speaker is located on the left side of the grill and not in the center... so to get better clearer volume you have to adjust the way you hold it... if you hold it on the left ear, you have to hold it higher up, if you hold it on the right ear, you have to lower it down

10. omitshod

omitshod Member

I had the same problem then I installed a volume app and adjusted it manually-might be phsychosomatic but it seems to make a difference. positioning on the ear differently also makes a noticeable change

11. fryrice

fryrice Member

ya mine as well...the volume is low compare to my blackberry 9700....also the speak is weak...sounds like a little tin speaker.

12. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

LOL, you got this phone too? Gave up on the 900? Mine got wet and the LCD's backlight went out. Still "works", but you have to shine a light on it to see.

13. Shulius

Shulius New Member

Yep, same issue

14. Clackamas

Clackamas Well-Known Member

Sadly, I had to return the G2 I purchased last Sunday. This was one of many issues that added up to a return for me. The finally issue was the phone turning off and requiring me to remove/reinstall the battery to power it on again.

However, I noticed, to paraphrase Steve Jobs, that it all depends on how you hold the phone. I believe the problem is related to noise cancellation.

15. PUME04

PUME04 New Member

This may not be everyone's issue, but it was for me. I was experiencing low volume, to the point that I could not carry on a conversation with any amount of ambient noise. I love the phone but was considering returning it for this reason alone. So what fixed it? You know that piece of protective plastic the phone ships with. I left mine on until I could get a proper screen protector. About 10 minutes ago I realized that it covers the speaker. I peeled it back and made a call; 10 times better. Like I said, maybe not everyones issue, but I'm sure it is for some, and hopefully this post helps.

16. TheMercuryMan

TheMercuryMan Member

I noticed that when I was holding it on my right ear i could hear just fine then when I switched ears I thought i was going deaf. Moved it around a little bit I got my hearing back.

17. zuludelta9

zuludelta9 Member

"Just don't hold it that way."

Yeah, I can confirm this--speaker is placed differently. I played with the phone a good 2-3 days w/o making/receiving a call and when made the first call: it was ok. Then I received it was low. Moved the phone around after reading about this and it worked.

18. dbgrigg189

dbgrigg189 Well-Known Member

I can also confirm this, and it isnt even really a huge adjustment. after doing it a few times it becomes second nature, just like learning a new button placement.

19. djsinco

djsinco Well-Known Member

Such a great forum - I thought the earpiece volume was too low, but now that I know where the hole is I am satisfied. I still think the speakerphone is tinny, and undervolumed. Also, the music player has no EQ, but I guess when I get around to downloading a 3rd party music app it will have more features

20. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

It's quite true, finding the right spot for your ear can be tricky. The key is to deliberately look for the opening on the phone. Once it's aligned with your ear you can hear it loud & clear.

I've got a lot of experience now, as I'm on my sixth Android phone, (yeah, I'm such an addict) and I still like the Captivate better than my current iPhone 4, my Droid X, Droid 2, Incredible, or EVO. The reasons are many, but mainly it's because it has the least significant faults. The best build quality, best display, best phone, great battery life under heavy web & email use. The size & slim flat profile & shape make it feel smaller than the rest without sacrificing screen size.

21. brnf2008

brnf2008 Member

Ok I have a speaker issue on my G2, sometimes it is extremely low, other times normal, and then perfect then there are times that I have to put it on speaker phone to even carry on a conversation with the person on the end of the line. I thought that maybe my issue was that my hinge is broke on that side of the phone, near the speaker and the ribbon connector. Does anyone know if there could be a related issue here?

22. jchao617

jchao617 New Member

omg i'm so glad someone has posted this already. I just got the G2 for 2 weeks already and i was having volume problems while speaking to my friends on the phone, at first i thought it was me i couldn't hear anything what my friend was saying lol so i hung up on him lol then he called back again still couldn't hear =X right now i have no problems with the volume but let see again next week or over the weekend when i talk to my friends on the phone.

my question is this, will htc/tmobile have a update or solve this issue because i really hate to return this phone, i really love it.

anyone please let me know =)
    thanks =)

23. hipster7929

hipster7929 Well-Known Member

You don't have the piece of plastic covering the ear piece do you? Had it on when I first got mine. Took it off and was better. speaker volume sucks tho.

24. jchao617

jchao617 New Member

nah thank you for replying the phone is working fine =)

25. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Well-Known Member

I think what it is, is that the earpiece LOOKS big, but isnt. Almost like itll sound off if you think its lined up correctly with your ear, but the correct way of lining it up is just a bit awkward