Anyone else having SD Card disconnect issuesSupport

Last Updated:

1. Topshelf

Topshelf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had to reboot my phone 3 times in the last 2 days because the SD card becomes unreadable. Yesterday I couldn't save an attachment from GMail because it said I needed to have an SD card installed. Then Astro wouldn't let me delete a file even though I was able to locate it. And today my widgets were all screwed up because according to them there was no SD card installed that had the skins. I don't mind dealing with an issue here and there, but there have a been a few occasions where this phone has gotten under my skin. Anyone else dealing with this? I seriously doubt the SD card is bad, although there's only one way to prove that. :( Is there an app that will dismount and remount the SD card while the phone is running for when these situations occur?

Advertisement
  2. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

Same problem. Happens randomly and infrequently. Already tried formatting the card in the phone. Problem continues. Works fine on pc. I will have to test another card and see if it still happens. If it does, it's a bad phone or bug in the phone. A utility to reset / mount the card without rebooting would be nice.

I've seen these problems before in other phones. I believe it's a bug in the phone and that others may have this issue, but may not notice it.

There are definitely bugs in this phone which I won't list here; hopefully a software update will be coming out soon.

Others had same issue - in some cases replacing card fixed the problem.

E.g.: http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/84158-my-phone-not-recognizing-sd-card.html

gidget and Topshelf like this.
  3. Topshelf

Thanks for the info, going to look into that now.

4. ocpa24

ocpa24 Member

I've been having the same SD card problem, I even hard reset my phone for another reason and it still doesn't work properly. I had music on the phone at one point (since deleted it) and I was positive that i put it on the SD card, but when I checked the phone it was on phone storage, not on the SD card. I don't know if this is a software bug or what, but it is definitely annoying. There have been several other issues with this phone that have gotten to me, and I am even waiting for a replacement phone due to one of these issues but it won't be here until the 22nd :mad:... I really hope there's a software update coming out soon because there are far too many bugs popping up. I still love the phone, but it stresses me out sometimes.

5. INTREPID-NY

I just swapped my 8gb card (FAT32) with my 2GB card (FAT). I'll let you know if the problem reoccurs. All my testing indicated that the 8gb card was fine.

If the problem is fixed with 2gb card: It means either the 8gb card is bad or the phone doesn't like the 8gb card. I will try another brand of 8gb card. If the problems happens again with the new 8gb card it means a bad phone or bug in phone software.

If the problem is not fixed with 2gb card: It means the phone is bad.

6. INTREPID-NY

UPDATE: Well, it's been a few days since I put in my 2GB Fat SDCard and the problem has not occured again. This means the 8GB card was bad or the phone didn't like the 8GB FAT32 card. FAT32 formatting is required for cards over 2GB. The phone formats this way automatically or you can format it yourself. But it comes formatted as FAT32 out of the box. I'll give it another week and if the problem is truly gone, I'll buy another brand of 8GB card and see how it goes.

7. Ricochet1027

Ricochet1027 Member

I've had the phone since day before launch from preorder (Apr 28) Today was the first time I've noticed an non SD card detection. It was kind of scary when it happened. Did my wife wipe out my card when she brought it to work, she works 3rd shift btw, and hopefully by the time our next upgrade is available a next sweet phone will be out and she can have my DINC. Sorry, kind of rambled there. Did a reboot and card was read. But anyhow, at least I know this isn't too uncommon. I'll try to report back here if it happens again.

8. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

Same problem here. San-Disk 4Gb card, formatted in the phone (FAT32, required). Very annoying. I found that plugging the phone into the PC (Disk Drive mode) then ejecting it also remounts the SD card in the phone. I need an app to periodically remount it!!! Ha ha.

9. INTREPID-NY

I've had no further problems when I switched from my 8GB card to my included 2GB Card. I plan on testing another brand of 8GB card. It's weird because the 8GB card worked fine for a month.

10. INTREPID-NY

My 2GB SDCard didn't mount today when starting the phone. It certainly doesn't happen as often as my other 8gb card. But there is clearly a bug with the phone. I turn my phone off every night. For those who keep their phone on, the problem may not occur very often. The 3 Main problems with my phone: Occasional Random Rebooting in low signal areas; Occasional SDCard Mounting Issues upon reboot; and the Big Problem: Frequent Poor Voice Quality. If that's not fixed when they release an over the air update, I'm switching to the Motorola Droid X. I love Android; not happy with the voice quality of the Incredible.

11. Topshelf

I haven't had the random rebooting issue, but the other two (and a few others) are definitely major problems for me, the voice quality being the worst. At first I was blaming everything else, but I have to admit at this point that my phone has poor incoming voice quality. I've also been watching the Droid X and am considering selling off my Incredible if things go well with that phone. Sucks because I know I'll take a hit, but I need a better sounding phone. Also, I'm very disappointed in the accessory support for this phone. Anyway, all I can do now is see how things pan out with the X. Like you I'm loving Android, but there are a few too many issues with this phone for my liking.

12. kpantz

kpantz Well-Known Member

I've had the disappearing SD card issue every once in a while, and that's with the pre-installed 2 GB card from Verizon.

13. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

I've had this randomly with every phone that has used microSD cards. No issues yet with the Inc (*knocks on wood*).

14. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I have this happen randomly as well. I usually power the phone down and take the card out and put it back in and everything is fine after that. Sucks though...

15. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

On past phones, I had to pop it out and back in for it to work. Hoping my Inc never develops that problem.

16. AppsDeacs

AppsDeacs Member

This has been happening to me as well. I just have the pre-installed 2GB card from verizon. If i take out the card and reinsert it recognizes it again. Pretty annoying.

17. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

You guys wouldn't happen to have the Auto Mount SD app installed and activated? I had the same problem until I deactivated this app. I eventually uninstalled it and I haven't had a single "SD card dismounted" error since.

18. INTREPID-NY

Didn't know such an app existed. What's the name of the app? I would think you wouldn't even have such an app unless you were having this problem in the first place.

19. jj3699

jj3699 Well-Known Member

+1

20. Pretkomel

Pretkomel Well-Known Member

This happened to me three times since April 29th. Not bad and it has not happened again in the last month or so.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

21. gidget

gidget Well-Known Member

i just noticed yesterday that i had this problem. i noticed it because my phone ringtone (i'm the man who loves you, wilco) didn't activate, instead it was the default ringer. in fact, i missed the call because i didn't realize it was my phone ringing. when i went to switch it back to my song, it didn't show any music available, and then i noticed it didn't recognize it had an sd card installed. my music widget also showed no songs, that was another tip off. i just turned the phone off and on, and it reappeared. i'm pretty sure this is the second time this happened, since the phone once before randomly did not use my ringtone. i can't be sure that was the problem, but i turn my phone off to charge most mornings (the battery kick thing), so it probably resets more than most.

the phone is using the 2gb card that came with my moto droid. this is the only problem i've had so far on my inc, and it's pretty minor, but certainly annoying. i hope it is some sort of bug that is fixed with an ota. does anyone know if verizon/htc is aware of this?

22. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

I believe it's called "Auto Mount Your SD Card". It was listed in the "Recommended Apps" thread here a while ago but I found that I really didn't need it.